Oculus Rift + Kinect + KickR = Win!

Yup, I would. Definitely could make some more games similar to that, too. Or, a ride through parks as just a casual game. Or a similar thing, but ROAD RASH! :D

Yea I can see the masses getting into this...until I saw the 110 views.

Finely! A technology that comes to the aid of those too those fat kids that never could ride a bike around their neighborhood.

Yeaaaaa..........No.

But thanks for reinforcing why VR like 3d and motion control is stupid as shit when it comes to gaming.

Yeaaaaa..........No.

But thanks for reinforcing why VR like 3d and motion control is stupid as shit when it comes to gaming.

Yea.. our 90's hopes and dreams keep getting injections from videos like this. Spare us this fate please..

well that was disappointing....
When I saw the first saw the Bike I was like Oh Hell yea Vr of 2Extreme. (old playstation game)

meh to paperboy.... :rolleyes:

Yea.. our 90's hopes and dreams keep getting injections from videos like this. Spare us this fate please..

If you grew up in the 90's like I did and still haven't realized how absurd those hopes and dreams are because technology like this will always seem much cooler than it actually works in reality. Well, you might need to wake up to reality at some point. Much like the much maligned mouse and keyboard, while these new technologies such as; touch, VR and motion control are amazingly cool on paper. They simply fail miserably to be a better interface. The novelty of wearing something dumb on your head or jumping around like an idiot quickly gets old.

Not sure how you couldn't find something like this totally awesome. Combining 1:1 motion tracking with an Oculus or similar HMD with a polished game would be awesome. Im not talking graphically polished either, just integration of the tracking and the game engine. In fact, graphically, game devs could forego the life like graphics and still pull in a huge crowd with the level of immersion something like this could offer....I am incredibly stoked about getting my hands on an Oculus.

Not sure how you couldn't find something like this totally awesome. Combining 1:1 motion tracking with an Oculus or similar HMD with a polished game would be awesome. Im not talking graphically polished either, just integration of the tracking and the game engine. In fact, graphically, game devs could forego the life like graphics and still pull in a huge crowd with the level of immersion something like this could offer....I am incredibly stoked about getting my hands on an Oculus.

I agree 100%...I kept going back and forth on the Rift, but as time went on I slowly started leaning toward the "this can be awesome!" side..I think we need to get at least 1080P per eye at the lowest, otherwise the "screen-door effect" is just too much..Hell, even 1080P would be that way for people like me, who have 20/15 and 20/10 vision..

The success or failure of the Rift is going to boil down to one simple thing. Developer support. If they commit the proper resources, then games can literally be life like..The problem I see is that with the state of Game Publishers these days (read E.A.), that is going to be a tall order..

Oculus Rift + Kinect + Fleshlight = Win!

New game called the Humpty Hump. Sells 8 billion copies in 3 days.

Easy...let me give you the abridged list of serious problems.

1) Having to wear something on my head and it kills my perceptual awareness while it is at it. First I won't even wear 3d glasses, wearing something far heavier is an absolute no. Couple that with the obvious issues of; not being able to look away from your screen briefly without taking the thing off, motion sickness and a bevy of other obvious problems once you look past the "OOo Shiny!".

2) 1:1 motion tracking. Yep, sorry but I am not sold on a vastly inferior method of input. Why on earth would I want to be restricted to 1:1 movement when I have spent years and a ton of money steadily buying mice that allow for Vastly better movement ratios? The very concept of being required to move half my body to accomplish the same thing I can with a mere twitch of the mouse is so absurd it defies words. It falls into the same category as touch screens, neat and good for specific tasks or some very niche games but basically worthless for any game that rewards high reflexes and skill. To use a very simple example, there was a reason why those with Wavebird analog controllers completely curb stomped anyone using the wiimote in Mario Kart on Wii. Simply put, Precision. Motion control even with this thing sacrifices huge amounts of precision. As I said, once you get past the "Neat" factor it gets old quickly. I would pretty confidently wager that the vast majority of these that sell are collecting dust like the Wii in 3-6 months.

The thing is I could go on with the negatives on this thing for a while. Those however are the two biggest points. Now don't get me wrong, I like any technology lover find it cool as hell. I simply recognize the fact that it is a novelty device that just doesn't have a real place in the game market. It is going to end up like serious flight stick setups for Flight sims. Yes for those few looking for an ultra realistic simulation environment it will be perfect. For those just looking to sit down and play a regular game, it just becomes a terrible choice.

In for 1... That would allow me to game & get some good cardio in at the same time..

Easy...let me give you the abridged list of serious problems.

1) Having to wear something on my head and it kills my perceptual awareness while it is at it. First I won't even wear 3d glasses, wearing something far heavier is an absolute no. Couple that with the obvious issues of; not being able to look away from your screen briefly without taking the thing off, motion sickness and a bevy of other obvious problems once you look past the "OOo Shiny!".

2) 1:1 motion tracking. Yep, sorry but I am not sold on a vastly inferior method of input. Why on earth would I want to be restricted to 1:1 movement when I have spent years and a ton of money steadily buying mice that allow for Vastly better movement ratios? The very concept of being required to move half my body to accomplish the same thing I can with a mere twitch of the mouse is so absurd it defies words. It falls into the same category as touch screens, neat and good for specific tasks or some very niche games but basically worthless for any game that rewards high reflexes and skill. To use a very simple example, there was a reason why those with Wavebird analog controllers completely curb stomped anyone using the wiimote in Mario Kart on Wii. Simply put, Precision. Motion control even with this thing sacrifices huge amounts of precision. As I said, once you get past the "Neat" factor it gets old quickly. I would pretty confidently wager that the vast majority of these that sell are collecting dust like the Wii in 3-6 months.

The thing is I could go on with the negatives on this thing for a while. Those however are the two biggest points. Now don't get me wrong, I like any technology lover find it cool as hell. I simply recognize the fact that it is a novelty device that just doesn't have a real place in the game market. It is going to end up like serious flight stick setups for Flight sims. Yes for those few looking for an ultra realistic simulation environment it will be perfect. For those just looking to sit down and play a regular game, it just becomes a terrible choice.

1) Have you worn the Rift yet? I've read that its pretty light and, while I haven't been scouring every post looking for it, I haven't seen any reviewers complain of neck fatigue. I will definitely give you the point about not being able to look away but, this is an "immersion device".

2) It basically boils down to your lazy and/or your natural ability to move is impaired. It's a device that brings gamers closer to the game, make them feel more life-like. The Rift alone could represent a huge step forward in visual immersion and if we are able to get dev support for a full body motion tracking device like the Kinect in conjunction with the Rift that could greatly up the immersion. Are you going to be spinning 180 degrees with the flick of a wrist, no. That's not the kind of gaming these devices are going to replace. IF (HUGE if too) the Rift is successful, we could see offshoots of competitive gaming where its Rift only leagues.

I still say forget photo-realistic graphics with something like this, we see reality every day. Being able to be full immersed in a world that looks completely different then reality but still behaves similarly enough that it tricks our senses into believing its real....that would be awesome.

I agree 100%...I kept going back and forth on the Rift, but as time went on I slowly started leaning toward the "this can be awesome!" side..I think we need to get at least 1080P per eye at the lowest, otherwise the "screen-door effect" is just too much..Hell, even 1080P would be that way for people like me, who have 20/15 and 20/10 vision..

The success or failure of the Rift is going to boil down to one simple thing. Developer support. If they commit the proper resources, then games can literally be life like..The problem I see is that with the state of Game Publishers these days (read E.A.), that is going to be a tall order..

Consumer unit is supposed to get a 1080 panel and with 4k monitors and smartphones that will start to exceed 1080 resolution in the coming years, if the Rift is successful I'm sure we'll see higher resolution panels hit future revisions.

BTW, resolution isn't everything here, pixel density is what will minimize/eliminate the screen door effect more efficiently. Increasing screen resolution will naturally increase pixel density but also increases performance demands. Staying at 1080 resolution and increasing pixel density will not create that issue though at higher resolutions we also get sharper textures so something like this would benefit from a little bit of both. I would like resolution to stay fairly low, 1080 at a minimum but stay away from shooting up to 4k but also a modest increase in pixel density as well. Keep cost to buy and power the unit to a manageable level.

1) Have you worn the Rift yet? I've read that its pretty light and, while I haven't been scouring every post looking for it, I haven't seen any reviewers complain of neck fatigue. I will definitely give you the point about not being able to look away but, this is an "immersion device".

2) It basically boils down to your lazy and/or your natural ability to move is impaired. It's a device that brings gamers closer to the game, make them feel more life-like. The Rift alone could represent a huge step forward in visual immersion and if we are able to get dev support for a full body motion tracking device like the Kinect in conjunction with the Rift that could greatly up the immersion. Are you going to be spinning 180 degrees with the flick of a wrist, no. That's not the kind of gaming these devices are going to replace. IF (HUGE if too) the Rift is successful, we could see offshoots of competitive gaming where its Rift only leagues.

I still say forget photo-realistic graphics with something like this, we see reality every day. Being able to be full immersed in a world that looks completely different then reality but still behaves similarly enough that it tricks our senses into believing its real....that would be awesome.

Did i say anything about weight? No, I didn't. Let's be honest here, how many games do you play that would benefit from that level of immersion? I have been a gamer for a long time now and frankly I can count the number of games on a couple of hands.

So I did a comparison of input speed and accuracy and your take away is I am lazy? LOL..ok man..ok. Sorry but laziness has nothing to do with the fact that 1:1 movement is Vastly inferior and just flatly puts you at a disadvantage. I don't care how good the immersion is, if you are getting your ass kicked by players using higher end hardware you aren't going to be having fun.

The Rift is designed to be an immersive device, not a highly-responsive input modality.

Hell yea I want to give it a try.

Between the different techs already out there I give it 5 years and a much smaller version will be in everyone hands.

Think about this... a rift unit, with eye tracking, built in movement tracking similar to a wii or phone. Add on external items like a kinect, external camera or the ability to make the screen semi transparent. And completely wireless. You mark my words 5 years, 8 tops. And on top of it all... tack on the good old fashion POWER GLOVE (and if you know what that is without googling it you're getting old) a tech so far beyond it's time that it failed.

Mind you all the above tech is out there today. Just it's not all working as one.

Personally I'm waiting for a headset like the sword-art online if anyone gets the reference.

The Rift is designed to be an immersive device, not a highly-responsive input modality.

EXACTLY! Which is why I call it an extremely niche device. It is going to appeal to a Very select few demographics and will otherwise be much like the Wii where it ends up collecting dust for most in a few months.

because literally the only difference with this is a headset and you are pedaling. In reality, there isnt much more to this than just having a kinect and a game like this on your big screen.

so meh.

yeah I would definitely give the oculus and other rigs a try, even pay a buck for a short demo at a store or arcade... but not buy the system outright, not yet anyways...

Did i say anything about weight? No, I didn't. Let's be honest here, how many games do you play that would benefit from that level of immersion? I have been a gamer for a long time now and frankly I can count the number of games on a couple of hands.

So I did a comparison of input speed and accuracy and your take away is I am lazy? LOL..ok man..ok. Sorry but laziness has nothing to do with the fact that 1:1 movement is Vastly inferior and just flatly puts you at a disadvantage. I don't care how good the immersion is, if you are getting your ass kicked by players using higher end hardware you aren't going to be having fun.

Nor did I say anything about weight, an impairment of your ability to move could mean more then your fat, and that really wasn't what I was trying to say either. I got laziness from the point that your making that you'd rather have a device that lets you move tens or hundreds of degrees with a flick of the wrist. Seems lazy to me that you would prefer that over natural movements but if your talking about competitive gaming then I can agree with your point of view. While I appreciate competitive gaming being a highly competitive person myself, not a single multiplayer experience has given me the kind of enjoyment that I got out of the first play through of games like single player's Half-Life which was amazing back when it was released. The Rift, and devices like it, make me excited at the prospect of becoming closer to the experience.

because literally the only difference with this is a headset and you are pedaling. In reality, there isnt much more to this than just having a kinect and a game like this on your big screen.

so meh.

There's a bit more going on with the Rift then that, each eye gets a separate image so your getting stereoscopic gaming and the Rift also has head movement tracking. Those two features, if properly implemented, would greatly improve the experience in my opinion. Check out TrackIR and ArmyA videos on Youtube or TrackIR with a flight sim. Head tracking is an excellent idea though TrackIR is a bit off because the screen doesn't move with your head, so you could end up looking out the corner of your eyes when your looking left/right with TrackIR.

Add in Kinect or Leap Motion for motion tracking and it could allow for an even greater experience.

Hell yea I want to give it a try.
Personally I'm waiting for a headset like the sword-art online if anyone gets the reference.

Just watched Sword Art Online about a week ago to completion on Crunchyroll.com...as soon as I saw the first episode I was like...I want that, lol...awesome anime concept...and a good series in my opinion.

Back