Gaming monitor for me?

DF-1

2[H]4U
Hello.

I've been looking to upgrade my monitor ( IPS236V ) by LG for a while now.

I want to get a monitor that would be good for gaming.

I recently got a dell u3011 that had a very strange issue that I couldn't find anyone else that had the same problem, or a solution to it, so I returned it. I loved its color, the resolution, the big space, and the overall quality. but the UI scaling, the slight input lag, and the response times weren't great.

So I'm on the look for another one.

I'm really not sure what to go with. I see the asus PB278Q for a decent price, ($450 used/$550 new) although I see stuff about PWM, and overdrive.

The viewsonic 2770 for $700 is a little out of my price range.

The 120/144hz screens look really nice, but I wanted to upgrade from 1920x1080, so I don't think that would work. (wish they were 2560x1600/1440)

I thought about the korean ones, but I'm afraid of getting a dead monitor, stuck/dead pixel, too much backlight bleed, etc, or the same problem that I had with the dell, without being able to return it.

I really don't know what to do at this point.

please help me out [H]!;)

I'm reluctantly stepping into about the same boat...I'd rather spend something like $300 for e.g. Dell Ultrasharp U2412M vs. over $700 for the NEC P242W, which I'm sure is a really nice monitor but still...!

All this because my 21" CRT, which I've thoroughly enjoyed, is nearing the end of its lifespan. The brightness has declined notably, which has become especially annoying in the last year. It's at the point where the maximum brightness setting is inadequate at times, particularly if I want to have any lights on in the room.

I don't have the video card to really take advantage of a 120 Hz display, at least not with newer games. My GeForce 560 Ti can easily sustain 100+ fps with something older like Day of Defeat: Source (which I play regularly), but not so much with newer games.

Maybe what I'll do is, try my Samsung 24" LCD as primary monitor for a while. It's a TN panel which I've really only used for watching movies and TV shows, and of course has the usual 60 Hz LCD refresh rate. Color representation and blacks aren't going to be nearly so good as with the CRT but I guess I can get an idea whether I could live with a 60 Hz panel.

The Eizo 2333 probably is the best IPS model for gaming. But it sounds like it is smaller than you'd like, as it's another 23" panel.

I think that Viewsonic is considered one of the best 27"ers ... and I'm not sure if you'll really get a good 1440p model much cheaper than that. You may be able to save $100-$200 (Dell, etc), but in the long run I think you may be better off just spending a bit more now for something good.

If motion is your main concern, look at the Lightboost TNs. They'll have CRT-like motion. But they will also have worse color accuracy and angle issues.

Depends really on your preferences. I just got 3 of these not long ago:

SAMSUNG Series 9 S27B970D

Of course I got them for $700 a piece which made it a decent deal. I love them for the most part, the only issues I have with them are 1) no VESA mounts, and 2) they are glossy. But in my computer room the glossy nature isn't too bad as I can limit the light and glare.

You could try the ASUS PB278Q LED at 1440, I think that is probably a good choice.

I cant afford that viewsonic vp2770, I wish I could. The samsung S27970D is even further away than the viewsonic.

So, I guess I am down to three options, Amazon warehouse has both a u2713hm and an asus PB278Q for $470 and $450 used, respectively.

Or the third option is to try a korean screen, the thread here is huge, so it must be good?

Which one of the three should I try? The amazon warehouse I can return things to if they're not good, the korean one I can't, so I'm sort of leaning to try that 1st.

I hear some bad QA on the dell screen (cross hatching?), and my last dell screen didnt work out too well... but the asus also has QA issues, and overdrive/pwm.

is there another option I didn't see? should I wait for something else to come out? Which is the best for gaming? response time/input lag is the most important I guess, followed by everything else (color,etc)

The Dell is pretty much guaranteed to be defective (obvious matte coating cross-hatching & yellow bleed), even when purchased new from Dell & the Asus uses LED PWM Dimming. The ViewSonic has less ghosting & lag than both but the Dell & Asus are fine for gaming.

The 970D is a joke, it is extremely reflective & renders blacks as grays due to the lack of a coating & use of glass. The ViewSonic, Asus & Dell will look like the NEC on the right:

Save for the ViewSonic or get a korean PLS

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...eview-2560x1440-matte-overclock-able-pls.html

IPSLED Monitors has a 14 day no hassle return+exchange policy & they carry many of the IPS/PLS panels from ebay.

Last edited:
Agree with Icewind.

If it was me, I'd either go cheap (which to me is < $200), and figure if it doesn't work out, you can always use it as a secondary monitor. Or go expensive and get something nice... not in-between on a used monitor. You really aren't even saving that much getting it used, rather than new.

Funny how I have 3 of the Samsungs and have no issues. If you have a glossy screen, you just have to control the lighting to avoid the reflection, which is rather easy to do. Also, it looks far better than the other screens, I have had several of the Dells, and have used the Viewsonics. I think people are just too opinionated when it comes to glossy screens. And while I prefer matte to glossy, the image quality of the Samsungs is better than that of the others.

According to TFT central reviews:

The Dell 2713HM or Dell 2913WM are obvious choices.
HP and Asus 27" models are similar but more expensive.
The Viewsonic PLS has poor static contrast and higher lag.

I have a normal glossy monitor

Glass vs. Glossy

Glass vs. Glossy 2

Glass=Cruel 1000$ joke from Apple & Samsung.

The Dell 2713HM or Dell 2913WM are obvious choices.

The U2713HM is plagued by quality control issues including special ones no other 1440p monitor has (image retention & matte coating cross-hatching) & the 29" has high input lag:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2013/review-dell-u2913wm-part9.html#Latency

The 29"s game mode doesn't count since Dell's game modes pretty much always have medicore colors and the settings are locked.

Most ViewSonics have high contrast (>900:1) and it has the 2nd lowest lag of all the 1440p monitors with extra inputs

http://www.overclock.net/t/1291882/official-1440p-and-above-gaming-club-1440p/4980#post_20177646

Back