Former Mozilla CEO To Run Security Software Maker AVG

HardOCP News

[H] News
This ought to be an interesting match-up don't you think?

Kovacs, who's in his mid-50s, comes to AVG several months after he stepped down as the CEO of Mozilla. AVG's previous CEO, J.R. Smith, moved to an advisory role with the company in March, after six years leading of leading AVG during a period of massive user adoption of its core product, AVG Anti-Virus Free.

So AVG is going to start competing with other free antivirus programs on version numbers rather than fixing that pesky memory leak that's been around for the last seven years, huh? :D

AVG has been receiving high grades the past few years. They have really cleaned up the bloat and made a great, free AV product. Still not better than Avast, but who is :D

So... a CEO from a Mozilla comes over to AVG. A CEO who was there when Firefox became more and more bloated heads to a bloated mess of an anti-virus company to bring his experience of mega-bloat. Oh - and where was he before Mozilla? Ah - Adobe.... well known for its slimline and efficient software *NOT*.

It does make me laugh at how inefficient some products can get. AVG needs a total re-write instead of just buying up yet more companies and trying to shove their products into the main AVG product.

You can tell when a "security" product has lost the plot when they start supplying components to "Speed up" your computer. There is one simple speed-up for a computer with AVG installed - uninstall AVG!!

Comically, I was working on a client's PC last week. It had AVG on it. The AVG Tune-Up somehow misfired so badly in attempting to speed up the PC that it actually killed AVG's own protection. Though, to be fair, I suppose that the Tune-Up program was perfectly accurate in that case.

Back