Australian Man Building 3D-Printed Car

Now the lawsuits begin.

It wouldn't surprise me. But I doubt it will happen given the car is made in the 60's, 3D printing is probably just as expensive as buying it, and nobody is steal revenue from anyone. If anything he is helping Aston Martin with marketing.

Now if he was making a 3d printed copy of a car on their current product line and it was significantly cheaper then buying it.....Then I could see some lawsuits.

Thing is gonna fall apart on the first run, like all the "3D printed guns" on YouTube... Getting popcorn, and waiting for a video of this disaster...:cool:

And so it begins.........

piracy-you-wouldnt-download-a-car.jpg

If this is just a model car on a larger scale, then it's awesome! If this moron thinks he is going to end up with a street legal car when he's done, he's a moron.

3D printing isn't going to be worth more than prototyping till they can print metals like steel and aluminum.

He's printing out a frame, which he's going to use to make a mold, which he's going to use to create a fiberglass body. Pretty sweet idea, a lot easier than making a scale model of the car and then then making the cast out of that. He's using the chassis from an older Skyline for all mechanicals.

For all the time spent doing it this way, it would make more sense spending a couple of years working out the rent/usage of a large scale 3D print factory to make the car body in one shot right out of the printer in a material that IS the final car body.

Making a mold out of this is just needlessly complex.

If this is just a model car on a larger scale, then it's awesome! If this moron thinks he is going to end up with a street legal car when he's done, he's a moron.

3D printing isn't going to be worth more than prototyping till they can print metals like steel and aluminum.
Printing out a roadworthy "some assembly required" car would be awesome. Talk about the ultimate in personal customizability, printing to your own specs would essentially make it your own brand kit car if you based it around existing hardware. Or take it one step further and print it out from the ground up, just sourcing what you can't make yourself.

For all the time spent doing it this way, it would make more sense spending a couple of years working out the rent/usage of a large scale 3D print factory to make the car body in one shot right out of the printer in a material that IS the final car body.

Making a mold out of this is just needlessly complex.

Do you always do your hobbies in the most efficient way? That's gotta be pret-ty boring.

People who do things like this are pioneers. They have a vision and want to see it reality. Why it may not always end is a rousing success, it does push us, as a society, forward. Kudos to him!

This guy just has a killer hobby. I figure concept cars will eventually be 3D printed as opposed to the clay ones they make now, won't be drive-able, but would work for auto shows.
I'm an auto enthusiast on the side, and I've been working on a 3D model of a roadster concept I'd like to hopefully build one day. I've been working on it for about 18 months so far, and I'm trying to make it as detailed as the real thing would be. Maybe one day my 3D model will be the blueprint for my dream car lol. I've been wanting to buy a 3D printer, just to be able to make a model car version of it. May have to do that sooner then later......

Back