12K PC Gaming on Windows 8

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Extreme Windows Blog posted an article about 12K gaming on Windows 8 today. Watch the video below to see an ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II push a trio of Sharp PN-K321 4K Ultra HD displays at 11,520 x 2,160 resolution.

Nice monitors, But who leaves a inch gap between each monitor though. Perhaps it is just me but that is rather annoying to say the least.

wondering why it wasn't tested with the crossfire cards and the 3x Monitor setup.... would have been interesting to see. I'd love to hop on a 4k monitor and looked at the Seiki 50" ones but hate that it would be limited to 30Hz so hoping more will pop up soon with display port for 60Hz goodness

Very nice. I could use 3 of those and a nice pair of 7970 video cards. Who is going to send them to me? Oh and free.. yea that's the hard bit.

wondering why it wasn't tested with the crossfire cards and the 3x Monitor setup.... would have been interesting to see. I'd love to hop on a 4k monitor and looked at the Seiki 50" ones but hate that it would be limited to 30Hz so hoping more will pop up soon with display port for 60Hz goodness

I bet he had issues. No reason he wouldn't want to showcase the perf improvements instead.

First off: How many times can he say "extreme!"

Secondly, while this is very impressive, I still can't get over the Bezel/gap between the screens in multi-monitor setups. Do people get used to that?

Windows 8 + Xbox 360 controller = FAIL!

I can agree with the Windows 8 = FAIL, but X360 controller? Nah. I use an X360 controller for games that suit it well. If I'm too lazy to wheel out my Logitech G27 from my closet, I will use an X360 controller for DiRT 3, for example.

What I don't get are people who use controllers for first-person shooters. I will never understand that.

*facepalm* Really?

What do you mean facepalm? I saw nothing in that video that I can't do on my system, accept mine cost 12 times less......

Oh, so you can play Dirt 3.....big fuckin whoop, I can to, and it didnt cost me 12 grand. :cool:

Windows 8 + Xbox 360 controller = FAIL!

Haha! I was about to say the same thing..... He paid 12 grand for an Xbox lol

There are a LOT of PC gamers that use controllers for certain games, such as arcade racers like the Dirt series. I've put in a lot of time with racers using an Xbox 360 controller on PCs and it beats the hell out of using a mouse and keyboard.

I bet he had issues. No reason he wouldn't want to showcase the perf improvements instead.

You get more issues with multi-screen gaming if your monitors are over 1080p and not just because you're using more pixels. Most of the problems seem related to HDCP and incompatibility/timing issues between the chips used.

There are a LOT of PC gamers that use controllers for certain games, such as arcade racers like the Dirt series. I've put in a lot of time with racers using an Xbox 360 controller on PCs and it beats the hell out of using a mouse and keyboard.

Missed the point. Its not about using the controller, which is perfectly fine for a racer. I use a dual action II.

You get more issues with multi-screen gaming if your monitors are over 1080p and not just because you're using more pixels. Most of the problems seem related to HDCP and incompatibility/timing issues between the chips used.

Which is a reason I havent gone multi monitor gaming yet, still sticking with single.

What do you mean facepalm? I saw nothing in that video that I can't do on my system, accept mine cost 12 times less......

Oh, so you can play Dirt 3.....big fuckin whoop, I can to, and it didnt cost me 12 grand. :cool:

Oh really you are pushing 3 5k monitors. Guess you need to update your sig.

Oh really you are pushing 3 5k monitors. Guess you need to update your sig.

No, Do I need to, to meet your standards?

Besides that, what resolution are those textures in the game? Seeing how the game was designed with consoles in mind in the first place I doubt they are even to the 1024 spec, If they don't come close to the resolution he is pushing through those monitors you have to ask yourself what the point is? So , what is the point?

Besides that, what resolution are those textures in the game? Seeing how the game was designed with consoles in mind in the first place I doubt they are even to the 1024 spec, If they don't come close to the resolution he is pushing through those monitors you have to ask yourself what the point is? So , what is the point?

The point of the blog was to try something that is very new and exotic, this is supposed to be a PC hardware enthusiasts forum after all.

If you have to ask this obviously isn't the site for you.

The point of the blog was to try something that is very new and exotic, this is supposed to be a PC hardware enthusiasts forum after all.

I get that I really do. which is why I don't see the point in showing off some exotic rig using Dirt 3....

I get that I really do. which is why I don't see the point in showing off some exotic rig using Dirt 3....

While Dirt 3 isn't really a showcase of next gen PC technology, it does translate well in these types of setups.

This. I use my 360 controller a lot.

It makes sense to me to start off with an older game considering the extreme demands that this system has.

It makes sense to me to start off with an older game considering the extreme demands that this system has.

Yeah but If you are worried about extreme demands.....should you be running a 3x display @ that resolution in the first place?

Back