Michael Dell Plans to Stay with Company After Vote

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Just prior to the upcoming vote by Dell stockholders to approve a deal on taking the company private again, Michael Dell has announced his plans to stay with the company he founded no matter how the stockholders vote. The vote has been postponed several times already this summer over opposing bids and is scheduled for an August 2nd vote.

Shareholders were supposed to vote on whether to approve Michael Dell's offer, but that vote was postponed, and speculation surrounding it suggested that Michael Dell and his supporters weren't quite sure they had enough votes to gain approval.

Who wants to keep this re-packager of Chinese parts?
Sure what the hell keep it private.. after reading a few years back how 'great' dell monitors where, I haven't experienced that at all, besides not looking great, just blah, they seem to fail faster than the viewsonics sitting right by their side. I actually thought they re-packaged view-sonic, maybe they changed at some point, to absolute bottom garbage, for their standard monitors, I don't know.

funny -- I had a dell 24" UltraSharp LCD that was top of the line in 2005 - and continued to be badass all the way into 2011.

I will agree that their recent range of UltraSharps have had issues, so it's whatevs.

I did have two XPS line model laptops that were well built, solid, and just great. The support was amazing too, had a GPU burn out and one call and the tech shows up at my job and replaced it no questions asked the next day.

I'd imagine their server line is top notch from what I've seen.

If I have to buy pre-built anything on a large scale - I'd have no problem picking Dell.

Sure what the hell keep it private.. after reading a few years back how 'great' dell monitors where, I haven't experienced that at all, besides not looking great, just blah, they seem to fail faster than the viewsonics sitting right by their side. I actually thought they re-packaged view-sonic, maybe they changed at some point, to absolute bottom garbage, for their standard monitors, I don't know.

As opposed to... who precisely? Who would you suggest for systems, in particular servers, as being better than Dell?

Also, turns out that while Dell systems use Chinese parts that's because ALL system do. Some parts, you just have to get from a certain country. Like processors, well that is going to be the US. AMD or Intel are your only desktop/laptop choices, and both are US companies. US manufacture too for Intel parts, and for smaller AMD parts (Global Foundires 45nm plant is in Germany, their 28nm plant is in NY). For power supplies, well that's China. While American (and other) firms repackage and sell PSUs, all the manufacturers are Chinese companies. SSDs? That's pretty much US or Korea. Generally the flash is actually made in the US, Samsung's big plants are there, but there are some Korean fabs too. LCDs? Depends, China does some, but Korea is the heavy hitter. Any of the nicer panels are Korea only. Discrete GPUs? Those are all NA companies, nVidia, AMD and Matrox (nVida is US, AMD is US but their ATi division is Canadian, and Matrox is Canadian). However for manufacture it is all Taiwan, they all use TSMC at present. RAM? That one you have a choice of a lot of places in terms of companies and fabs. US, EU, Israel, Taiwan, etc. It is available for all kinds of places.

Computers are a global commodity. There is no one country that makes all the parts. Some parts you really don't have a choice on, they are only made in one or two places. Also the parts often contain parts from other countries. Those Chinese power supplies often have Japanese capacitors in them, and the Intel CPU that is fabbed in the US may be packaged (is in cut form the wafer, tested, and put in the LGA case) in the US, Costa Rica, Malaysia, Vietnam, Israel, etc depending on where you are in the world (in the US you see mostly US and Costa Rica packed chips).

So what, precisely, are you hating on Dell for?

I'm STILL using three 2001FPW's from 2005, and they are still magnificent.

My Dell 2011FP is still working flawlessly after 10 years. It's on almost every day, not even a single dead pixel.

funny -- I had a dell 24" UltraSharp LCD that was top of the line in 2005 - and continued to be badass all the way into 2011.

I will agree that their recent range of UltraSharps have had issues, so it's whatevs.

I did have two XPS line model laptops that were well built, solid, and just great. The support was amazing too, had a GPU burn out and one call and the tech shows up at my job and replaced it no questions asked the next day.

If I have to buy pre-built anything on a large scale - I'd have no problem picking Dell.

Same here but I would really prefer HP for large scale environments. Especially given my experience with both in the corporate world. Dell seems to have a limited support ability for older equipment. You will have a hard time replacing a failed raid controller for a Dell 24xx series server, but you can get HP parts for a DL380G1 in less than 4 hours at any site in any part of the country. (HP servers are much easier to service as well, the design is far superior to Dell.)

Same here but I would really prefer HP for large scale environments. Especially given my experience with both in the corporate world. Dell seems to have a limited support ability for older equipment. You will have a hard time replacing a failed raid controller for a Dell 24xx series server, but you can get HP parts for a DL380G1 in less than 4 hours at any site in any part of the country. (HP servers are much easier to service as well, the design is far superior to Dell.)

I've had no less than stellar service dealing with HP in a corporate capacity, so I agree.

they are (re: the servers). I'm running 5 PowerEdge servers in our office and I've only replaced two drives, one SAS and one SCSI. They're running 24/7/365, some of them for more than 7 years, the newest being 3 years old. Dell's PowerEdge 2800 and 2900 series are solid as hell.

As opposed to... who precisely? Who would you suggest for systems, in particular servers, as being better than Dell?

Also, turns out that while Dell systems use Chinese parts that's because ALL system do. Some parts, you just have to get from a certain country. Like processors, well that is going to be the US. AMD or Intel are your only desktop/laptop choices, and both are US companies. US manufacture too for Intel parts, and for smaller AMD parts (Global Foundires 45nm plant is in Germany, their 28nm plant is in NY). For power supplies, well that's China. While American (and other) firms repackage and sell PSUs, all the manufacturers are Chinese companies. SSDs? That's pretty much US or Korea. Generally the flash is actually made in the US, Samsung's big plants are there, but there are some Korean fabs too. LCDs? Depends, China does some, but Korea is the heavy hitter. Any of the nicer panels are Korea only. Discrete GPUs? Those are all NA companies, nVidia, AMD and Matrox (nVida is US, AMD is US but their ATi division is Canadian, and Matrox is Canadian). However for manufacture it is all Taiwan, they all use TSMC at present. RAM? That one you have a choice of a lot of places in terms of companies and fabs. US, EU, Israel, Taiwan, etc. It is available for all kinds of places.

Computers are a global commodity. There is no one country that makes all the parts. Some parts you really don't have a choice on, they are only made in one or two places. Also the parts often contain parts from other countries. Those Chinese power supplies often have Japanese capacitors in them, and the Intel CPU that is fabbed in the US may be packaged (is in cut form the wafer, tested, and put in the LGA case) in the US, Costa Rica, Malaysia, Vietnam, Israel, etc depending on where you are in the world (in the US you see mostly US and Costa Rica packed chips).

Most the posts here in a way prove my point, all the mentioned equipment is older, I am using newer equipment, and it looks like any generic bottom-line crap I have used but with a Dell logo on it I suppose.. my mistake for expecting better I guess, I know nothing of servers.
Not so such hating anything, I do not see the billions of dollars in value in this company is all, I am sure I am wrong, after all people of money know better, until we have to bail them out.

Most the posts here in a way prove my point, all the mentioned equipment is older, I am using newer equipment, and it looks like any generic bottom-line crap I have used but with a Dell logo on it I suppose.. my mistake for expecting better I guess, I know nothing of servers.
Not so such hating anything, I do not see the billions of dollars in value in this company is all, I am sure I am wrong, after all people of money know better, until we have to bail them out.

SOunds like someone hasn't been buying UltraSharp's

Thank you, I'm glad someone else get's it.
(no offense to the other 99% of the true [H]ers that also get it)

SOunds like someone hasn't been buying UltraSharp's

I used to be a Trinitron super fan until I broke down and started my journey down the path of UltraSharp's with a couple 2209WA's
Now I don't know what to do with all the extra desk space

Back