PS4 Gives Up To 5.5GB Of RAM To Developers

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like the Xbox One isn't the only console coughing up a big chunk of RAM for its operating system. Maybe Sony and Microsoft should just kick retail units up to 12GB - 16GB and call it good. :p

Current PlayStation 4 dev kits have a "Game Memory Budget Mode" in the debug settings featuring two options: normal and large. The normal mode setting confirms that 4.5GB of memory is usable for game applications. The large mode increases this considerably to 5.25GB, but the docs are clear that the extra RAM here is only available for application development, presumably in order to house debugging data. From what we understand, the extra gig of flexible memory appears to work in addition to these allowances.

Last edited:
They should definitely kick it up to 16. Charge more, but if they want the system to last 10 years it needs more ram.

This is a good thing...right? =)

It is when you game on a PC. Cause that means the PS4 OS is using nearly 2.5 Gigs of memory, which is a lot for a console. A major advantage consoles had was how little impact the OS has on the machine.

This is where you point and laugh at console owners. How's that CHEAP gaming machine so far? Bet you can't wait to start paying a monthly fee just to play games online.

PC_Gaming_Master_Race_by_Claidheam_Righ.jpg

ITT: There will be absolutely no hate towards Sony about games only having access to 4.5GB on PS4, even though everyone bitched about how the X1 would only have 5GB useable.

Really, this should be a non-issue. The amount of RAM in these consoles is a gigantic step up from the previous generation. On a closed platform, 4-5GB of ram really is enough. Keep in mind that is still eight times what's in the current consoles. It's probably the most substantial upgrade in these new systems. I'd much rather see the OS steal a few gigs of ram to have buttery smooth menu performance and seemless multitasking. There will still be plenty for games.

Is this really that major a deal ... aren't the consoles a shared RAM configuration where video and system use the same pool of RAM ... that would mean they have the equivalent of 4.5-5.0 GB of video and system RAM

a low end gaming PC would probably weigh in at 4GB system RAM (of which the system consumes around 1 GB or so) and 1-2 GB of Video RAM (depending on the card you use) for the same 4-5 GB of available RAM

Although those of us with higher end gaming PC setups 8 GB + system RAM and 3-6 GB Video RAM might have liked more compatibility with the consoles for texture purposes (if nothing else) I don't think anyone seriously expected the consoles to be that cutting edge ;)

ITT: There will be absolutely no hate towards Sony about games only having access to 4.5GB on PS4, even though everyone bitched about how the X1 would only have 5GB useable.

Really, this should be a non-issue. The amount of RAM in these consoles is a gigantic step up from the previous generation. On a closed platform, 4-5GB of ram really is enough. Keep in mind that is still eight times what's in the current consoles. It's probably the most substantial upgrade in these new systems. I'd much rather see the OS steal a few gigs of ram to have buttery smooth menu performance and seemless multitasking. There will still be plenty for games.

Exactly...both consoles will be reserving similar amounts for the OS and whats left is enough for developers...non issue here.

LOL i cant think of a single PC game that uses near that much even today so why exactly does this generation of consoles need 16GB when 8GB is still plenty on a PC?

in order to be better than pc, they really should push for 16gb of ram :p

There's one major difference between the X1 and PS4 - the type of RAM.

LOL i cant think of a single PC game that uses near that much even today so why exactly does this generation of consoles need 16GB when 8GB is still plenty on a PC?

Well, for what it's worth... the consoles have shared memory. There are plenty of PC games that can use 4-5GB of ram between system memory and VRAM, especially if modding or using multiple monitors.

Still, 4-5GB useable is way more than necessary now, and should remain a suitable amount for the consoles lifespan. Back when this generation came out, 512MB was perfectly reasonable, but that ended up being their biggest hindrance. I'm glad to see them going above and beyond this time with memory.

There's one major difference between the X1 and PS4 - the type of RAM.

I really don't see that being a big factor. I think we've seen over the years that memory speed is by far and away less important than GPU and CPU speed. Simply put, i'd be shocked if you saw any meaningful difference in graphics or performance due to using DDR5 vs. DDR3. If anything makes a difference, it will be the GPU.

If anyone looks back at the history of consoles, one of the biggest limiting factors of them have always been the amount of available RAM to the developers.

4.5GB, thats more than almost every pc game can use no thanks to almost every pc game being a native 32-bit application.

WTF? Aren't they using a FreeBSD core? What are they doing, keeping a buttload of inefficient UI art assets in memory at all times?

I really don't see that being a big factor. I think we've seen over the years that memory speed is by far and away less important than GPU and CPU speed. Simply put, i'd be shocked if you saw any meaningful difference in graphics or performance due to using DDR5 vs. DDR3. If anything makes a difference, it will be the GPU.

With AMD's APU there is a huge increase with performance due to memory speed due to it being limited compared to a GPU. The GDDR5 vs DDR3 between these systems will show a sizable performance difference IMO. Even if developers don't make use of the extra power on the PS4 you probably will still a smoother FPS experience on it verse the xbone.

WTF? Aren't they using a FreeBSD core? What are they doing, keeping a buttload of inefficient UI art assets in memory at all times?

Facebook and YouTube stuff most likely. The PS4 can record your games and upload them, as well as keep in touch with people in Facebook and Twitter. That's going to need memory.

Sony is just being conservative with how much memory they allow developers to use. Sony does not want to allow developers to use memory that Sony may eventually need with their OS.

Sony has tweaked and made the PS3 firmware more efficient, freeing up memory for developers. I don't see why this trend will not continue with the PS4.

Sony is just being conservative with how much memory they allow developers to use. Sony does not want to allow developers to use memory that Sony may eventually need with their OS.

Sony has tweaked and made the PS3 firmware more efficient, freeing up memory for developers. I don't see why this trend will not continue with the PS4.

Whats ur source, dood?

It's a rather interesting return to the equilibrium we saw back in the early 90's. Remember when SNES and Genesis were so awesome, but there was always that one kid who had a PC playing Doom and Warcraft blowing your mind away? There just wasnt any room left for the consoles to expand since they had locked themselves into this certain price point/efficiency ratio for consumers. Well thats where consoles have ended back up again. The last 2 gaming generations ushered console users into the PC world of quality graphics. The xbox/ps2 and their sequels finally delivered PC quality level gaming for a brief period. This was thanks to a sudden surge in hardware performance that outpaced software development. But now that era is starting to fade again, and people arent going to pay $1000 for a gaming console. So the next gen consoles are really stuck back in their rut of only providing so much performance for their cost. Meanwhile PC's will continue to expand and grow, just like they always have, and will re-enter this phase once again where everyone is focused on their consoles, but are aware of the elusive PC offering a completely unique experience. While we're off running Unreal Engine 4 at max detail with an Oculus Rift and Hydra setup, they'll be sitting there with their rinky dink wireless gamepads playing Call of Duty 15.

Like some guys here have stated, this is plenty of ram for those closed systems.
Next gen is going to be a lot of fun for all gamers meh thinks, PC included. Our console ports will be light years ahead of last gen:D

You would expect that Sony does have people on board that know how to use ram since the PS3 had so little compared to the PS4.

It is when you game on a PC. Cause that means the PS4 OS is using nearly 2.5 Gigs of memory, which is a lot for a console. A major advantage consoles had was how little impact the OS has on the machine.

This is where you point and laugh at console owners. How's that CHEAP gaming machine so far? Bet you can't wait to start paying a monthly fee just to play games online.

lol love that pic.

The question I want to know is increase in RAM usage just because its x86 or due to alot of background processes running. I can see the Xbox one using up way more memory do to them trying to make it into a do it all media center that games on the side. Where as the PS4 more just a gaming system.

4.5GB, thats more than almost every pc game can use no thanks to almost every pc game being a native 32-bit application.

Lots of games have 64-bit executables now a days. Even games, that most people would consider archaically old and decrepit (See: World of Warcraft) have 64-bit executables. Yes, wow has a launcher that runs a 64-bit version of Wow for 64-bit system thats allows you to to over 4GB.

4.5GB is not actually 'that' much since as its been said many times it shared between the GPU and CPU. GTA4 with a bit of AA and highest-setting for textures can easily reach 2GB out of that 4.5GB of video ram still running at 1920x1080. Let alone, eyefinity resolutions, 4k or 2560x1600, etc etc.

Problem comes down to is if consoles dont utilize a lot of base-ram, then PC's cant either. Instead of grand-scale combat with many units/enemies on the screen at once, you could see another generation of 'ohh no, 4 enemies in a small enclosed room to fight'.

Facebook and YouTube stuff most likely. The PS4 can record your games and upload them, as well as keep in touch with people in Facebook and Twitter. That's going to need memory.

I suppose...but I mean, compare this to a PC: Linux is more bloated than FreeBSD, and to reach the kind of memory usage the PS4 OS reserves in the background while running games, I'd have to capture video and browse Youtube simultaneously...while a full-blown desktop environment is loaded.

I mean, I sort of expected this kind of bloat coming from Microsoft, but 2.5GB for the PS4's background OS? Compare that to the PS3!

Well, at least this means people can stop worrying about how much RAM our GPUs have (since some were panicking and saying that the usual 2-4gb of GPU RAM available today won't be nearly enough when the consoles are released) :p

What's wrong with the operating system using a lot of memory? If the entire OS is loaded into RAM when the system boots, isn't that a good thing? Better than the system having to constantly access the HDD to navigate the operating system isn't it? All this says to me is that the UI will likely have zero load times, zero hiccups, etc, and that's a good thing.

Whats ur source, dood?

It does sorta make sense. I can see them expand it in a few years to allow developers to squeeze more out of the console with their new titles. I could even see them optimize it enough to allow more CPU to be used.

What's wrong with the operating system using a lot of memory? If the entire OS is loaded into RAM when the system boots, isn't that a good thing? Better than the system having to constantly access the HDD to navigate the operating system isn't it? All this says to me is that the UI will likely have zero load times, zero hiccups, etc, and that's a good thing.

Depends, I guess, on how much (if any) the amount of RAM available to games limits their performance vs how important UI performance is to you. If games would see no benefit from additional RAM, then there's no drawback.

I suppose...but I mean, compare this to a PC: Linux is more bloated than FreeBSD, and to reach the kind of memory usage the PS4 OS reserves in the background while running games, I'd have to capture video and browse Youtube simultaneously...while a full-blown desktop environment is loaded.

I mean, I sort of expected this kind of bloat coming from Microsoft, but 2.5GB for the PS4's background OS? Compare that to the PS3!
Gotta think about it as a developer. A console isn't dynamic with it's memory like a PC can. Developers are told that 5.5GB of memory is their limit, even though the PS4 may have a lot more memory available. So when you do start recording video and getting Tweets from Twitter, you don't want the system to slow down at all.
With a PC yea, it's good to have the entire OS loaded into memory. Then again, it's good to have a swap file and the ability to make virtual ram. Which is better, to have a fast GUI and get errors that you don't have enough system memory, or no errors but slow GUI?

Either way the PS4 doesn't have 8 gigs of memory for games.

But...but... it's all about gaming damn it! Didn't you read the internet??? XBox One is for TV, not games. PS4 is all about the gamez!?!!

It's funny to read the fanboi reactions. A few weeks ago it was "HAHA stupid XBone using all that RAM for Skype and TV shit. Stupid bloated M$ crap!!!" Today it's "It's no big deal that Sony has 2.5gigs dedicated to the OS - that's plenty!"

Lulz I have been saying that on this message board and just about everywhere since they have first announced the thing in public and the same with the xbox one and every body said I was full of it.

"What no way the OS is going to use that much" is what I hear all the time.

That media and streaming social crap do not come with out a major cost. I have seen the dev kits for these things they do not let you use all 8gb. the xbox one is even worse since it has to assume that TV crap is running at all times even if it is not.

They are also both recording video from the final frame buffer so you can upload bad videos that is going to eat ram and some power.

You can also go back and check the history of my post if you want if you don't think I did say that.

But...but... it's all about gaming damn it! Didn't you read the internet??? XBox One is for TV, not games. PS4 is all about the gamez!?!!

It's funny to read the fanboi reactions. A few weeks ago it was "HAHA stupid XBone using all that RAM for Skype and TV shit. Stupid bloated M$ crap!!!" Today it's "It's no big deal that Sony has 2.5gigs dedicated to the OS - that's plenty!"

I'm confused is there something wrong with wanting my TV and Cable Box to handle TV and my console to handle gaming?

My point is at least Sony dedicated it for the right purpose.

I'm confused is there something wrong with wanting my TV and Cable Box to handle TV and my console to handle gaming?

My point is at least Sony dedicated it for the right purpose.

My point is both systems have a ton of tacked on useless (IMO) crap, but the PS fanbois overlook this and claim Sony is just for games. They totally fell for the marketing machine at Sony.

I'm sorry, but is anyone actually planning on uploading (or watching) gameplay videos? It seems rather sad. And I couldn't care less about social media integration. I don't want to tweet what game I just played.

The cable tv/media features of the XBone at least seem like they might be less useless.

My point is both systems have a ton of tacked on useless (IMO) crap, but the PS fanbois overlook this and claim Sony is just for games. They totally fell for the marketing machine at Sony.

I'm sorry, but is anyone actually planning on uploading (or watching) gameplay videos? It seems rather sad. And I couldn't care less about social media integration. I don't want to tweet what game I just played.

The cable tv/media features of the XBone at least seem like they might be less useless.

Nothing like fighting over stupid subjective points... :rolleyes: Just because I don't care about a feature always has to translate to "nobody else doesn't either". Stop the fan boy crap. Both consoles allow for plenty of memory for the developers. This is a non issue.

Back