Microsoft Allowing Indie Self-Publishing

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Microsoft is allowing independent studios to self-publish on the Xbox One. While I am sure people are still going to whine about the console, this is another step in the right direction.

Our vision is that every person can be a creator. That every Xbox One can be used for development. That every game and experience can take advantage of all of the features of Xbox One and Xbox LIVE. This means self-publishing. This means Kinect, the cloud, achievements. This means great discoverability on Xbox LIVE. We'll have more details on the program and the timeline at gamescom in August.

'Achievements'? .... Great. So press x four times in under 3s(see it's a game b/c of the time limit!) for 1k gamerscore points style-apps for $1.99? I'm kidding of course but I have expect to see that self-published.

I'm hoping that these 'self published' games don't turn into something like the app stores of various devices. 90% of those games are just rehashed games with a different name or some really dumb program some guy wrote to try and make some money... A few good ones, but the majority are shit. If there is some kind of quality management, I'll like it. But, Sony & Microsoft allowing any developer to self-publish games might not be the best thing... Some will be great, and some may bring some small studio to the top.

Only thing left is to remove the requirement to have Kinect always connected. I don't mind that it's packed in, but I don't like the idea that if it breaks and I have to RMA it with MS, I'll be out a console for at least a few weeks. It really breaks any logic to have an accessory mandatory connected, unless it's required for the machine to operate. And if for some mechanical reason, the machine is not functional due to an external accessory(especially when a very similar competing platform exists that doesn't have the same requirement), then it's design is fundamentally flawed.

Finally... the little guy (independent developer) can finally self-publish!!

A $99 yearly developer fee is muuuuuuuch better than having to dole out $10,000 for a dev kit just to have all your hard work be denied by Microsoft .

Developers, developers, developers indeed. Good play. Desperate, but good :D

Only thing left is to remove the requirement to have Kinect always connected. I don't mind that it's packed in, but I don't like the idea that if it breaks and I have to RMA it with MS, I'll be out a console for at least a few weeks. It really breaks any logic to have an accessory mandatory connected, unless it's required for the machine to operate. And if for some mechanical reason, the machine is not functional due to an external accessory(especially when a very similar competing platform exists that doesn't have the same requirement), then it's design is fundamentally flawed.

There's no mechanical reason they force the Kinect to stay physically connected. Follow the money. It's the targeted advertising and collection of engagement metrics. You don't really think they would go to such lengths just because they want you to play games by waving your arms around like an idiot. And the XBONE shills that think "they just want to get Kinect developer support" - naive. Naive.

No, they think live-sourced engagement and feedback metrics from up to 6 bodies in a living room is going to be a goldmine of data for advertisers -- which commercial or part of a movie made people smile or their blood pressure increase, etc.

'Achievements'? .... Great. So press x four times in under 3s(see it's a game b/c of the time limit!) for 1k gamerscore points style-apps for $1.99? I'm kidding of course but I have expect to see that self-published.

Does that really matter?

Seriously I hear people complain about boosting and crap like this all the time... Puzzles me because it really doesn't matter... So you can show your e-peen?

Devs put this stuff in to add something to the game not dictate people's self-worth or worth to others. Sad that it has become so.

There's no mechanical reason they force the Kinect to stay physically connected. Follow the money. It's the targeted advertising and collection of engagement metrics. You don't really think they would go to such lengths just because they want you to play games by waving your arms around like an idiot. And the XBONE shills that think "they just want to get Kinect developer support" - naive. Naive.

No, they think live-sourced engagement and feedback metrics from up to 6 bodies in a living room is going to be a goldmine of data for advertisers -- which commercial or part of a movie made people smile or their blood pressure increase, etc.

You are right, privacy is a more important issue with that thing. But where I to push someone who keeps yelling "conspiracy theorist" when I bring up your argument, will shut up when I bring up mine. Educated individuals will see your argument as valid, and those less inclined will see mine.

You are right, privacy is a more important issue with that thing. But where I to push someone who keeps yelling "conspiracy theorist" when I bring up your argument, will shut up when I bring up mine. Educated individuals will see your argument as valid, and those less inclined will see mine.

My thing is this. If Microsoft wants to collect valuable biofeedback for advertising purposes then they should be paying the customer for the privilege, not the other way around where they expect people to pay an extra $100 for the bundled Kinect to help them harvest that data.

Sooooo what? They don't mean anything. Just points.

Self publish like a game 'app store' where you still give a massive cut to Microsoft?

This is the only thing I like about the Xbox One, but it just may cause me to purchase a console. Hopefully it isn't the disaster that is Windows Mobile.

A few things to consider here, Sony already does this and has the programs and backend all ready to go. Both still have to be approved for quality control and general testing to be certified I believe so I don't think either should be compared to the cluster that is the Google Play store. Self publishing doesn't mean anyone can code pong and upload it for .99 cents. All it means is that developers do not have to goto say an Activision-Blizzard, EA or UBIsoft then have them publish it and take a percentage when they didn't really do anything.

I've been an advocate of this type of indie support for a long time and Microsoft has years of abuse to make up for. It can't be classified as anything other than a good thing however and I wish all developers luck.

Self publish like a game 'app store' where you still give a massive cut to Microsoft?

I am not aware of any digital purchasing venue that is free and the rates for all stores (Steam, iTunes, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Sony, etc) all seem to be about 30% ... as far as I know that 30% covers all hosting costs as well as payment processing costs ... not a bad deal generally and a publisher would likely take far more than the 30% for direct publishing

Microsoft is taking steps to get their console to offer similar features that the PS4 and Wii U will offer. A bunch of tiny baby steps. They need to kinda make some big announcements people will actually be excited about.

A few things to consider here, Sony already does this and has the programs and backend all ready to go. Both still have to be approved for quality control and general testing to be certified I believe so I don't think either should be compared to the cluster that is the Google Play store. Self publishing doesn't mean anyone can code pong and upload it for .99 cents. All it means is that developers do not have to goto say an Activision-Blizzard, EA or UBIsoft then have them publish it and take a percentage when they didn't really do anything.

I've been an advocate of this type of indie support for a long time and Microsoft has years of abuse to make up for. It can't be classified as anything other than a good thing however and I wish all developers luck.

Now the question: Will those years of abuse be forgotten by indie developers and will more of them begin to support Microsoft now?

Or, are developers under the mentality of "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." and not want to deal with Microsoft anymore?

There were also developers that didn't like the fact they had to PAY Microsoft huge amounts of money before they can release a patch or update to a game. And, Microsoft has removed that recently.

Microsoft has to do a lot of things to improve its image, reputation and its relationship with not just gamers and consumers, but developers after all the crap the company has to done to them in the years since the Xbox 360.

Indie devs just want to make money. Chosing not to publish games on a huge platform because you're bitter isn't a winning strategy.

Microsoft is taking steps to get their console to offer similar features that the PS4 and Wii U will offer. A bunch of tiny baby steps. They need to kinda make some big announcements people will actually be excited about.

Get rid of the camera requirement, and that would be all of the wrong things with the Xbone righted...save for the fact it's 50% less powerful and $100 more expensive than the PS4....but, so was the Saturn, and I got one of those (after the PS1, but I still got one)

Back