Maybe Netflix's CFO Will Pick His Nose

HardOCP News

[H] News
The headline of the day is brought to you by this article about Netflix's decision to video-stream its earnings call.

If you’ve ever actually listened to a corporate earnings call, you know that there is no intrinsically logical reason anyone would want to watch a corporate earnings call. Which brings us to the only plausible reason I can imagine looking forward to watching an earnings call: Maybe something embarrassing and horrible will go down! It does happen.

Netflix just crushed earnings. 49C / share against estimated 40C / share.

Though subscribers missed by 70k, so stock taking a bit of a beating.

Why Netflix even exists is beyond me. They are merely a middle-man, an aggregation service that provides little value.

If the major content providers got their act together and cooperated, Netflix wouldn't even be in business.

There is little unique about their offering. Anyone with enough cash can copy them.

Why Netflix even exists is beyond me. They are merely a middle-man, an aggregation service that provides little value.

If the major content providers got their act together and cooperated, Netflix wouldn't even be in business.

There is little unique about their offering. Anyone with enough cash can copy them.

Yes, in this hypothetical world, Netflix would never have been born.

They gave Blockbuster a run for their money back in the day.... People take Netflix for granted now but they were a pioneer in digital streaming and set the pace for everyone else that followed.

Using that Logic anything from Steam to Amazon are entirely redundant aswell.

Major content providers don't want to get their act together. It'll be too expensive for them to get an infrastructure up and running for a market pretty well saturated. Providers will compete rather than cooperate and service will suffer. Vudu and Flixster are the closest they've come to doing a decent job, but those services are still a mess.

They could always do something totally revolutionary that would bring in the masses away from Netflix, but that won't be happening anytime soon: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...s_screenwriting_book_save_the_cat.single.html

Using that Logic anything from Steam to Amazon are entirely redundant aswell.

+1... I will add Target, Wallmart, store a and store b. Heck 99% of our economy is built of resellers... thus the term retail.

Almost seems like a troll post. How can someone not say Netflix had a major influence and IS a major player today? Heck they are the leader in streaming media.

If they were so easy to copy (ahem Amazon), why is netflix still the "name" brand of the industry like "iPhone" and"Kleenex"?

Compare Netflix to Hulu... How is netflix different? Well for one no commercials. I would say that is a big one.

And that's exactly why they are in business...the major content providers have no interest in delivering value, and as such, left a hole in the market for someone else to fill..which Netflix does quite nicely

And that's exactly why they are in business...the major content providers have no interest in delivering value, and as such, left a hole in the market for someone else to fill..which Netflix does quite nicely

I would also add that even if content providers wanted to, they still couldn't provide a service like a 3rd party could. Mainly because there is value in a consolidated offering from many providers. IMO 3rd party "distribution" is the only way to go.

I absolutely HATE games I get on steam (far cry 3), that install ANOTHER game management system but just for the publisher's games. An app launcher that launches an app launcher that finally launches the game.

Back