Company of Heroes 2 Performance and IQ Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Company of Heroes 2 Performance and IQ Review - Today we dive into Company of Heroes 2 and examine its real-time strategy graphics. We are using a full lineup of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 700 series video cards, alongside AMD's high-end and midrange video cards. This DX11 game looks to push the fastest hardware on the market to its limit with its demanding SSAA settings.

There were also improvements made to the line-of-sight technology which allows for more accurately displays a units visibility range depending on the type of unit and weather conditions.

Is it just me, or does this sentence not make sense Kyle?:confused::confused:

Great review otherwise, it's amazing how powerful the 7970Ghz card really is in true DX11 games..It is clearly smoother then the 770, and barely slower then the 780 for half the price!

EDIT:

We did really see any video cards around the same price point perform exceptionally better than others.

Does anyone proof read these reviews? This is 3rd or 4th error I have found while reading through it.

Last edited:
Really sad that there is no SLI/CF support. Especially for those of us on previous-gen configs. Won't be buying the game because of this even though I was a huge CoH 1 fan

COH 2 seems to be quite demanding though the lack of multi GPU support is disappointing. so does this game have the characteristics to figure in hardocp's testing suite ?

Is it just me, or does this sentence not make sense Kyle?:confused::confused:

Great review otherwise, it's amazing how powerful the 7970Ghz card really is in true DX11 games..It is clearly smoother then the 770, and barely slower then the 780 for half the price!

EDIT:

Does anyone proof read these reviews? This is 3rd or 4th error I have found while reading through it.

I let Brent have the edit to himself on this one. It will be brought to his attention.

Runs like shit and doesn't even look that good. Really disappointed with CoH2, both graphically and gameplay.

loved the first one, well, once I applied the camera.lua mod to fix the claustrophobic FOV

it beggars belief that they did not fix this in the 2nd installment...quite sad

loved the first one, well, once I applied the camera.lua mod to fix the claustrophobic FOV

I hope you didn't play online with that, was considered a hack and bannable offense :eek:

One of the reasons I'm not buying it. FOV sucks

I hope you didn't play online with that, was considered a hack and bannable offense :eek:

no, lots of AI skirmish and some LAN with a buddy

I found it unplayable without, stressing out scrolling back and forth constantly trying to figure out what is going on is not my idea of a good time. It is a strategy game for goodness sake.

I sure wish someone would update the close combat franchise.

no, lots of AI skirmish and some LAN with a buddy

I found it unplayable without, stressing out scrolling back and forth constantly trying to figure out what is going on is not my idea of a good time. It is a strategy game for goodness sake.

I sure wish someone would update the close combat franchise.

That was the great thing about Supreme Commander! You could go from an entire God's eye view, to each unit if you chose..Can't wait for Planetary Annihilation!!

That was the great thing about Supreme Commander! You could go from an entire God's eye view, to each unit if you chose..Can't wait for Planetary Annihilation!!

The SC interface has yet to be surpassed in the RTS genre. It is the standard to which all RTS designers should aspire.

I recently loaded it back up, Seton's Clutch at 5760x1080 split screen...simply awesome.

I bought the DCE and wanted desperately to love this game after a serious CoH addiction. It hasn't happened, as I have actually gone back to playing CoH with the 'Eastern Front' mod and its freshly released Ostheer faction that is included with the newest v2.10 of Eastern Front.

It really does refresh the game, and I expected to be bored quickly with it, but between the new maps and new faction, I am enjoying it more than CoH2, which I fire up maybe two times a week. CoH2 will get better with the release of DLC (and I truly enjoy ToW, but its way too short at only 8 missions per side and only 1941 playable for now).

Hmm, not a game I'd consider, but a good read.

That is also what I'm getting from this review. In addition to DX11, AMD cards just look to be better suited for GPU calculations, seems to really help overall performance with this game using GPU calculations...

Lack of SLI/CF support is a let down but I'll still play the game purely for the enjoyment factor.

Thanks for the review, [H].

If anything, they made the low zoom level even worse in the second game!

Good to see the 7970 doing well after all this time, that extra compute power means it has it where it counts in some of these titles vs GK104.

Bit confused here but on the highest playable page the 7970GE has similar avg but lower minimum than the 780.

But in the Apples to Apples the 7970GE beats the 780, albeit ever so slightly

image.html

image.html

The 7950 Boost also seems to under perform, maybe a driver issue?

Other then the SP count the HD7950 Boost should be just as capable as the HD7970Ghz if it was tuned in some useing Sapphire'sTrixx .. set the clocks to 1050Mhz/1500Mhz and force constant voltage with power slide to 20%

I bet i could reach high end settings like that.

Other then the SP count the HD7950 Boost should be just as capable as the HD7970Ghz if it was tuned in some useing Sapphire'sTrixx .. set the clocks to 1050Mhz/1500Mhz and force constant voltage with power slide to 20%

Yea, agree..The default clocks on the 7950's really paint them in a "meh" light..When you crank the clocks up, they fly!

That's some really pathetic performance here. Even Titan seems to be unable to give proper always 60 fps gameplay at highest settings with SSAA.

Looks like i'll wait for it to hit steam 2015 summer sale since it will need next gen gpu anyway.

I'm using a Gigabyte 7950 with an HIS7970 bios which puts the core at 1050MHz. The game runs very smooth for me.

Kinda off-topic here, but what exactly is the benefit of forcing constant voltage?

The Boost cards have an issue with the clock rates as it isn't as great as Nvidia setup as knowing when it needs to boost to 950Mhz and stay there as Kyle did a review on the HD7950 Boost and noted it. even if overclocked it would still just go back and fourth from base to overclock settings.

Sapphire addressed the issue with there Trixx software that allows the user to over ride the boost (force constant voltage)as to keep the clocks nailed to what the user wants. if you set it to 1200Mhz and use the setting it will stay at 1200Mhz no matter what. Also some of the Boost cards are 100% unlocked for voltage so cooling is the limit. I have a Sapphire ref HD7950 Boost 4L built on a 7970 pcb and it's very happy to run 1050Mhz /1500Mhz using the force constant voltage with only the stock voltage so there is no added heat for the extar speed.

Last edited:
Those who have played the game, what is it that has angered the Russians so much? They are calling Relic nazis and all sorts of stuff. I am in Australia and I don't have time for FB or Twitty - WTF are they so dirty about?

CoH was so much better in the Graphics department then CoH 2 more settings and options to change to run on a variety of different machines, heck I know people who played it on intel integrated graphics! I'm talking 945G era...

Anyone got any benchmarks playing this on a 4k monitor? Also what are the specs of your system if you are?

Curious to know this as well. Still playing this game almost daily. Couldn't have picked a more horribly optimized game to fall in love with.

I have the settings dialed back on my GTX580, but recently picked up a 7970 which trounces the 580 in performance in this game - 41fps to 27fps at the same settings.

Back