Buy Office 365 and Get Free Year of Xbox Live Gold

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft is promoting its Office 365 subscription service with a giveaway of a full year subscription to Xbox Live Gold. The promotion is only offered to selected countries and curiously omits the US in this round, at least for the present time.

Microsoft is pitching the deal to high school and college students as a good way to “make school enjoyable all year round.”

I hate it. MS cloud, and every other online storage service, people are foolish to use a product that stores all your documents online for the NSA to peer into at their whim.

Throw in a free Xbox 360 and I would consider it. Otherwise...yea no thanks.

I hate it. MS cloud, and every other online storage service, people are foolish to use a product that stores all your documents online for the NSA to peer into at their whim.
Yup that another reason to stay away form Windows 8 and 8.1

Sometimes I wonder what you people are doing that is so secretive. I mean, I don't WANT people going through my documents, but if the NSA wants to look at my BBQ recipes and tech notes... <shrug>.

Sometimes I wonder what you people are doing that is so secretive. I mean, I don't WANT people going through my documents, but if the NSA wants to look at my BBQ recipes and tech notes... <shrug>.

Most people don't get the fact its not that people have stuff to hide its that some one can snoop in something that is yours.
People keep justifying all this spying horseshit that if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear. Well let me ask you if left your house door unlocked would you want the police to come in anytime of the day or the night just because?

You don't understand that people have died over hundreds of years so you could have this freedom, and they slowly take it from you, you <shrug>. Office 365 was decrypted by the NSA before it went live. They can read EVERYTHING.

NSA doesn't data store, they do shit with that data. You trust criminals with your data that they STOLE(because you were NOT aware they were taking it), that they extort from corporations, because of "national security", and you <shrug>? You are a delusional, insane person, that does not understand what is happening. This is NOT a good thing. THe CIA and NSA are a group of untrustworthy criminals that run around unchecked, breaking laws left and right, due to national security. Yeah, I want those people to have my data.... :rolleyes: Grow some balls and defend your freedom. WTF is this shit...

Who's to say to NSA is just looking at those things? Probably the most poweful thing and most dangerous thing that can be done with collecting private data is a growing census. The government knows that you like to BBQ and tech. That is valuable information when you wanna know what the population is thinking about.

A good example of this is the Zimmerman bullshit. Thanks to the media for blowing this trial out of proportion, the verdict wasn't a popular one. The government knows, and Obama even came out and had a speech about it. Instead of dealing with real important issues. It's a hot topic, and they know the community is ready to erupt that could possibly bring bout riots.

You don't think the information they collect through the NSA hasn't helping them? The problem is how the government uses this info to deter popular thinking. Using the media as a powerful influence on people, they can alter the populations perception.

In other words, they know you better then you do. They can make you hate pie, and wouldn't even know why.

As a Veteran, posts like this make me weep at the sacrifice thousands of american's have made for these freedom's people today so casually give away.

Microsoft overpriced Office 365 and needs to sucker people in one way or another. Anyone falling for this cloud BS can surely be tricked into paying for other cloud services.

Office 365 Per Year (without tax): £79.99 = $105.13

That is a ridiculous price for one year of service.

Microsoft overpriced Office 365 and needs to sucker people in one way or another. Anyone falling for this cloud BS can surely be tricked into paying for other cloud services.

Office 365 Per Year (without tax): £79.99 = $105.13

That is a ridiculous price for one year of service.

Doesn't Office 365 give you full access to all of the Office Suite and allows you up to five legal installations ... Office professional 2013 (which also contains the full Office Suite) retails for $400.00 (undiscounted) and only allows one legal installation ... also, since MS has eliminated upgrade pricing for the Office Suite so you need to buy a full new version if you want the latest release (which will probably continue on its 3-4 year cycle) and since Office 365 automatically gives you access to the upgraded features it isn't that bad a deal ... they allow month to month on demand purchases also so if you use Office infrequently you can get all the capabilities you need but at far less than the yearly cost ... doesn't seem that bad to me ;)

they allow month to month on demand purchases

Purchases? I believe you mean on demand rental, which is why this is such a bad deal.

The offer, which the article is referencing requires a 1 year subscription not "month to month on demand purchase".

Office professional 2013 (which also contains the full Office Suite) retails for $400.00 (undiscounted)

Who pays retail for anything? A quick google search shows it selling for $200 - $300. Why not just purchase it instead of getting fleeced by this subscription pricing scheme?

How do you buy Office 365? Isn't it just one of those renting scams like Adobe and others are trying to trick you to think is good value?

They also want to make it so easy for you to save to the cloud with skydrive. How long is it going to be before thats the only place you can save. Then you forget to pay and you got a big fat nothing.

This is exactly why they decreased SkyDrive's storage from 25 GB to 7 GB (unless you opted-in during a specific time). Users will run out of storage space and Microsoft will come asking for more money.

Yet another trap to con people into another cloud subscription scheme.

Ya I never get what the big deal is if you are cheating on your wife or planning a terrorist attack do not use any service you do not have full control over or fully understand and encrypt everything, but for the rest of us we will look at the value of the cloud from a more pragmatic stance. Personally I tried office live out for a couple months and found it to be pretty useful and convenient so I bought it, 1 license outfits my whole family. I think for a single person they need to introduce a better plan though.

They also want to make it so easy for you to save to the cloud with skydrive. How long is it going to be before thats the only place you can save. Then you forget to pay and you got a big fat nothing.

I think the cloud is an interesting (re)development from a tech support perspective. If the responsibility for up-time is shifted to MS or whoever then it reduces the load and cost considerably. It means less jobs but fewer headaches. Office acting up, reinstall the client... are you files missing or corrupted and you don't have a local backup... you are sol. One of the many reasons why I abandoned the diminishing returns of the tech field.

It is quite funny though to see the reaction on the face of someone when you tell them that those files they accidentally deleted or lost in "the cloud" are gone for good. It seems that by and large the operating public hasn't caught on that the cloud doesn't work like local storage and they can't just go into the trash to rescue a file.

I think the cloud is an interesting (re)development from a tech support perspective. If the responsibility for up-time is shifted to MS or whoever then it reduces the load and cost considerably. It means less jobs but fewer headaches. Office acting up, reinstall the client... are you files missing or corrupted and you don't have a local backup... you are sol. One of the many reasons why I abandoned the diminishing returns of the tech field.

It is quite funny though to see the reaction on the face of someone when you tell them that those files they accidentally deleted or lost in "the cloud" are gone for good. It seems that by and large the operating public hasn't caught on that the cloud doesn't work like local storage and they can't just go into the trash to rescue a file.

Cloud computing is nothing new.

Mainframes were the originators of this concept.

You may want to defend cloud that it has so many advantages and I can tell you that it has just as many advantages. I guess your an American and you don't mind when large companies take away American jobs and give them to Philipinos and Indians.. When is the last time you called MS tech support? Fucking disaster.

I guess your an American and you don't mind when large companies take away American jobs and give them to Philipinos and Indians.. When is the last time you called MS tech support? Fucking disaster.

There is no such thing as an "American" job or any other geographic designation ... some jobs cannot be performed remotely (those jobs will be situated in a country or location in geographic proximity to the need) ... other jobs can be performed remotely (and in those cases you have to weigh any functional limitations with the total cost of the service ... it will sometimes be easier to hire someone at 1/5 the cost even if they take twice as long because the total cost is still better)

Filipinos and Indians (and Chinese) are all excellent workers and they provide tremendous value to a multinational company (I have worked with people from all three countries and have found them to be very capable) ... gaps in remote tech support have as much to do with poor training and response flows as they do with the people performing the tasks ... given the cost constraints of remote Level 1 (and possibly Level 2) tech support it isn't surprising that those functions get outsourced ... if properly implemented they can be very successful (some companies just implement them poorly) ;)

Some or many cloud solutions are suppose to offer back up and recovery and even versions of files.

There is no such thing as an "American" job or any other geographic designation ... some jobs cannot be performed remotely (those jobs will be situated in a country or location in geographic proximity to the need) ... other jobs can be performed remotely (and in those cases you have to weigh any functional limitations with the total cost of the service ... it will sometimes be easier to hire someone at 1/5 the cost even if they take twice as long because the total cost is still better)

Filipinos and Indians (and Chinese) are all excellent workers and they provide tremendous value to a multinational company (I have worked with people from all three countries and have found them to be very capable) ... gaps in remote tech support have as much to do with poor training and response flows as they do with the people performing the tasks ... given the cost constraints of remote Level 1 (and possibly Level 2) tech support it isn't surprising that those functions get outsourced ... if properly implemented they can be very successful (some companies just implement them poorly) ;)

wait until they outsource your ass then comeback and talk about "geographic" job.

I don't disagree that other ethnicity are very good workers in their own native language. My experience with outsourcing has been very poor, worked for IBM and Dell and other big iron companies, lots of them got sick as shit of dealing with bafoons overseas and they pay for English speakers instead. I have trained Helpdesks and its a friggen nightmare.

The whole thing twice as long because its at a fraction of the cost of a local worker is also a losing attitude, most people on long support calls give up or get pissed and they will never buy the product again or return it.

I pay for support and if I have to deal with some fucktard overseas that can't get me the service I paid for I call my reps and let them know. This is why HP, Dell, IBM still have English helpdesks for enterprise stuff. This is why I fucking hate cisco with a passion always some Indian worker on the other side of the world that I can't understand.

You guys act like keeping support local will make a difference. The main reason that companies started to outsource support was because the Americans doing it sucked. Now days people associate that with the foreign accent but in fact support was no better and probably much worse before outsourcing in that industry took off. The only difference is now days companies only pay local support for the high level support so by default you are getting the better guys more often when you do not hear an accent, but trust me if they brought all the support back on shore you would be finding a new vocal queue to blame the bad help on.

You guys act like keeping support local will make a difference. The main reason that companies started to outsource support was because the Americans doing it sucked. Now days people associate that with the foreign accent but in fact support was no better and probably much worse before outsourcing in that industry took off. The only difference is now days companies only pay local support for the high level support so by default you are getting the better guys more often when you do not hear an accent, but trust me if they brought all the support back on shore you would be finding a new vocal queue to blame the bad help on.

They will not bring it back because those support jobs and industry is dead or dying. To undo the damage would take even more resources.
Not fair to say support was worse when it was local, it was companies trying to make profits that made support shit. Worked for IBM worse company on earth, I was level 2 support fucking cheap ass of company wouldn't have replacements when people went on vacation, I worked 72 days in a row.

Now the support is overseas you got shit language to deal with on top of that companies trying to make a profit. So now you got shit support in Chinglish, Inglish, or the other englishes.

Back