Online Piracy Surges After Music Festivals

HardOCP News

[H] News
Spotify recently released research results that show online piracy spikes after music festivals. What's your theory on why this happens?

New research released by Spotify shows that music festivals appear to cause a spike in piracy, while streaming and digital sales remain unaffected. The findings suggest that festivals increase demand for artists’ music, but that festival goers mainly sample through unauthorized channels.

I am not an expert on the situation but I have been to my share of concerts / music fests. Could it be that, after a weekend of spending all your money on high priced food, beverages, travel costs, tickets and $40 t-shirts, concert goers don't have any money left to buy the tunes they heard at the show. ;)

I am not an expert on the situation but I have been to my share of concerts / music fests. Could it be that, after a weekend of spending all your money on high priced food, beverages, travel costs, tickets and $40 t-shirts, concert goers don't have any money left to buy the tunes they heard at the show. ;)
That would make too much sense.

This. $250 to go to the local big festival, individual shows $20-150 depending on popularity. Ugh. Whats worse is that i'm never there to see the headliners. One of the best performances I've seen in recent years was a "first of the day" 9am show.

Don't artists generally receive a higher percentage of the money from ticket sales than they do from online music sales anyway? They should be happy people are going to these ridiculously expensive concerts.

Theory: People are cheap moochers and want the music they heard without paying for it.

if I just paid 150 dollars for a ticket to some band -- not to mention parking/food/booze blah blah blah
I wouldn't feel too bad about downloading a few of their songs. At that point I've already supported them more than a fair share through ticket sales.

Just how many times are they allowed to rape you?

Hippies have money, they just spend it on DMT, nitrous and Molly.

if I just paid 150 dollars for a ticket to some band -- not to mention parking/food/booze blah blah blah
I wouldn't feel too bad about downloading a few of their songs. At that point I've already supported them more than a fair share through ticket sales.

It's not rape when you volunteer. ;-)

I would bet it would have at least something to do with being exposed to new artists/songs spiking interest in attendees.

I dont know about other people and I never listen to music but I know if I did I'd never use a streaming service. If I wanted music I would only buy it so I had the option of selling or gifting it to another person.

Also, they show data for less a few weeks after the festival. Was there any increase in later months?

What Spotify determined is that there's a correlation between desire for music and the pirating of that music. That's unsurprising. What's more surprising is that there's no uptick in streaming. Assuming you have a Spotify/Rdio/etc. account — and a lot of people do — the easiest way to gratification is via streaming. Piracy is easy, but generally it's faster and easier to queue up something in Spotify.

It could be that festival-goers use another streaming service (or none at all), or it could be that Spotify-using festival-goers aren't able to or don't know how to stream on the go (in the car, etc.) and need to load music on something as opposed to streaming it. Either way, there's some insight that Spotify can use to position their service differently or better advertise its features.

At that point I've already supported them more than a fair share through ticket sales.
"I spent $6 on this sandwich, so I'm entitled to free chips and drinks."

in other news: new study reveals that taking a crap occurs more often after eating food

The fact that streaming doesn't increase leads me to believe that their research and methodology is flawed.

Not going to lie. I went to a U2 concert and spent double that there for the ticket and mementos easily as did my little sister. Afterwards I was broke as hell and downloaded some of their old CD's. I owned most of them already, but I wanted more of them and I'd just given them my last money until pay day. Think it was the Elevation Tour. I hope they don't hate me. ;)

Thom Yorke said:
A question that remains unanswered is whether the artists feel the same way. For years there have been complaints about the lower revenues Spotify generates for them. The most recent critique comes from Radiohead’s Tom Yorke, who pulled his music from the streaming service as he believes “new artists get paid fuck all.”

That's a far better quote. I actually heard the member of a band say that Spotify pays so little it's almost worse than pure piracy.

Personally I'm more likely to use spotify to here a band's music before the festival. If I like it, I'll just buy a CD, rip it to my server and stream from there.

I would probably say it has to do with exposure to music. Usually I go because of a singular band, not because of all of them. As a result, I end up being exposed to an additional band or not. Or, I get reminding of a band or song that I did not have before and want it.

For the last 2-million years all performances were free. Homer didn’t charge for his poems, neither did Shakespeare. Everyone is being labeled a “Pirate” in this country. What’s up with professional troubadours and corporate greed? Are you being had?

For the last 2-million years all performances were free. Homer didn’t charge for his poems, neither did Shakespeare. Everyone is being labeled a “Pirate” in this country. What’s up with professional troubadours and corporate greed? Are you being had?

A: Humans haven't been aroun d for 2 million years. Most put it at around $140k years ago Homo Sapiens Sapiens evolved.
B: Shakespear did indeed sell his plays etc.
C: Not everyone is being labeled a pirate, only the moochers.

What do you do for a living? I might be interested in you doing some free work for me. It'd be really awesome if you were a builder who's dad made wood nails and paint. Then you could build me a mansion for free. God I hope this is describes you. I've always loved well built mansions, but I feel like they should be free. I don't think the Pharaohs had to pay the people to build the Pyramids. Sure they fed them, but I'd be willing to buy you a few meal deals at Taco Bell.

Of course if you do something else, like write software or administer networks, I'm sure I can still find something for you to do for me. You're best reb00tin. I love your spirit of doing stuff for me for free.

Back