Facebook Users React To The AMD FX-9590

220w...jesus. My 125w Thuban is enough of a space heater already. I am trying to Cool my computer room down, not heat it up more.

220w...jesus. My 125w Thuban is enough of a space heater already. I am trying to Cool my computer room down, not heat it up more.

I close the heat vent in my office during the winter. I just leave my FX8120 box running. I can't imagine tacking another 125W onto it...

Not impressed. Pentium 4 processors were at like 3.8 GHz on OEM coolers like 10 years ago. Besides that, the whole more MHz thing is just not a big deal anymore. I luffs AMD, but this is probably still slower than whatever Intel is selling that uses less power and makes less heat.

Is the ten pound copper heatsink with 2 140mm Delta fans included to cool this space heater?

Wondering with the horrible IPC they have what MHz/GHz it would need to run at to equal an Intel equivalent at the same price, what do you think 6Ghz 7Ghz?

I do not care so much about the full load TDP as long as it idles at a reasonable TDP and performs well.

I'd rather see a ranking of (computations/s) per watt than worry about GHz.

Interesting that this is the same company that is rocking the A series APU's with great performance per watt.

Can you use Facebook and hardware enthusiasts in the same sentence ... aren't those things mutually exclusive :D

Besides, AMD is doing more market crossover ... with the success of their video/cpu combos they thought the CPU/space heater combo was the next market to grab onto :cool:

Maybe they will offer an enthusiast option where you can get the processor and your own substation to power it :p

This is one of the best reactions on the internet ever. Also Eggs Benedict sounds way to high class, should have asked if it can cook a hot pocket.

It's only fair that AMD get the shit. There CPU's are crap, and they are doing exactly what Intel were doing back in the Pentium 4 days, GHz over actual performance. Which AMD gave Intel serious amounts of shit for, if I recall correctly.

Seriously, who buys AMD CPU's these days, unless your building a low/middle performance games consoles? :D

Hope they include a water cooler with that :eek:

Damn, some harsh comments from that crowd. Funny as hell and probably true about being able to cook eggs with it with a 300W+ load draw at your wall.

I'll stick with my 3.5 GHz i7-3770K for now since it's about the same performance and less than half the power draw as this newcomer. It sucks to see AMD struggling and grasping at air for the high-end segment so much. :(

I would run one of these for fun as a test machine, but never as my day-to-day rig.

It's only fair that AMD get the shit. There CPU's are crap, and they are doing exactly what Intel were doing back in the Pentium 4 days, GHz over actual performance. Which AMD gave Intel serious amounts of shit for, if I recall correctly.

Seriously, who buys AMD CPU's these days, unless your building a low/middle performance games consoles? :D

I buy their APU for the media center and my media server. Both running an AMD A4 processor. Nice and quiet and runs quite flawlessly.

But my gaming rig, tablet and laptop all have Core i5 processors.

Can you use Facebook and hardware enthusiasts in the same sentence ... aren't those things mutually exclusive :D

Besides, AMD is doing more market crossover ... with the success of their video/cpu combos they thought the CPU/space heater combo was the next market to grab onto :cool:

Maybe they will offer an enthusiast option where you can get the processor and your own substation to power it :p

all joking aside...the rig I built for my daughter that spends most of its time folding has it's device ID set to "SPACEHEATER"....it literally heats the second floor of our house

Time to move to Alaska and have that 225W processor properly cooled by sub-arctic temperatures :p

what i don't get is this happened (or similar to) with the P4 back in the day....amd concentrated on making a more efficient processor - the athlon 64 and later the X2. it was a great time for them, that is what got them into system integrators like dell!

and now they want to do the exact opposite? they want to follow the same path as the P4 that intel lost on? wtf are they thinking?

The P4 was crippled for more reasons than just TDP and Ghz. It was also based on the awful NetBurst architecture and was terrible at any threaded tasks. HT was next to useless at the time.

Fy7qXIo.jpg

what i don't get is this happened (or similar to) with the P4 back in the day....amd concentrated on making a more efficient processor - the athlon 64 and later the X2. it was a great time for them, that is what got them into system integrators like dell!

and now they want to do the exact opposite? they want to follow the same path as the P4 that intel lost on? wtf are they thinking?

simple answer.

All that staff that built those great processors in the mid 2000's no longer work at AMD.

simple answer.

All that staff that built those great processors in the mid 2000's no longer work at AMD.

And not just that, but Intel learned from their P4 mistake and from the A64/X2 then took the same route of designing efficiency over MHz, allowing them to grab the performance crown back. AMD made a good attempt with Bulldozer, but it just wasn't...there. I can only imagine how lousy BD would have been like if AMD didn't delay and refine it as many times as they did. I still often speculate if BD would have been a much better product as two die-shrunk and efficiency-massaged Phen2-X4/X6's merged onto a single die. Maybe they could have been able to release a <= 28nm FX consumer part by now if they just stuck to reworking the Thuban uArch, perhaps?

Use the heated water to power a sterling engine, to generate electricity, to feed back into the computer.

I would love to see something like that work. Although I doubt it would be very efficient or effective in cooling the loop.

Believe it, most people here in CR i read about on FB groups all buy AMD with the whole "AMD is cheaper and you get 6/8 cores" crap and i keep telling them they spend more money on power and coolers over intel and they are all gamers for the most part. (LAN Makers CR one group)

But some people just wont listen!

Believe it, most people here in CR i read about on FB groups all buy AMD with the whole "AMD is cheaper and you get 6/8 cores" crap and i keep telling them they spend more money on power and coolers over intel and they are all gamers for the most part. (LAN Makers CR one group)

But some people just wont listen!

The power difference really is insignificant over the long term. AMD CPUs still idle at less power than their equivalent i# parts. I was set to rebuild my desktop in mini ITX form factor earlier this year and looked at Intel offerings. I COULD NOT build a quadcore setup for under $500. The absolute cheapest quadcore Intel CPU was still over $200. The part I got was $97.

For those comparing the current APUs as crap compared to the AMD "glory days" of the AMD64 and 64x2's.. Go ahead and run those instead of a current APU now and enjoy the "better" CPUs you had with those.

You fanboy trolls just love throwing bullshit around that is completely devoid of logic, perspective and it really makes you guys seem desperate, out of touch... or both.

Intel "pulled an AMD" with Haswell. From Ivy Bridge to Haswell might as well be the same progression from the Athon/Phenom II to Bulldozer. Architecture doesn't really improve much over the last and brings heat issues with it. Sound familiar?

All companies have their up and down periods. To say the current crop of AMD CPUs are all crap just goes to show how oblivious you really are.

They are decent CPUs for the price and THEY ALL ARE STILL BETTER THAN WHAT WE'VE HAD IN THE PAST.

LOL to think my i7 is enough of a space heater. I need a 1 ton AC unit to keep my home office below 25c in summer. In winter I sometimes even open the window a crack. The GTX 560 is probably partially to blame for that too though. Video cards today use a ridiculous amount of power.

On serious note, AMD does seem to be rather attractive if building a low cost rig. You could always downclock to reduce the power usage and heat generated. This is important for something like a HTPC as it's often in an enclosed cabinet.

I don't know if people gloss over it for brevity sake or what, but not all P4's were bad. The early ones (Willamette) and later ones (Prescott) weren't great, but I know the 2.4GHz Northwood C was the chip to have for quite awhile. Max OC vrs max OC, they were considerably faster than what AMD had at the time.

Back