Gates: Microsoft Bob Will Make A Comeback

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft Bob is making a comeback? Don't forget to bring back Clippy too!

Speaking Monday at the Microsoft Research Faculty Summit at the company's Redmond, WA headquarters, the chairman said Microsoft Bob didn't get it right, but that he thinks it will reemerge with a bit more sophistication. "We were ahead of our time," he said.

lol

Sad thing is... it'll likely be a step up over the Windows 8 UI... unlike the previous incarnation of BOB

I think as computers move into home automation then a good virtual assistant will be key ... wouldn't you want to have a fully automated voice controlled system so that when you wake in the morning you could just ask the system to start the coffee while you are still getting up ... or ask the system to add eggs to your grocery list as you cook the last two for your breakfast ... whether this future virtual assistant program and technology will resemble a Siri or a MS Bob or something completely different it will eventually be a desirable feature to have ... as long as you don't give it control of the doors ("Open the Pod Bay Door, HAL" ... "I'm afraid I can't do that Dave") :D

As long as Bob is the new name for JARVIS, I'll be fine. Otherwise, fuck Bob.

Bob, Siri and others have the right idea, but the wrong implementation. I'd like to have that 'personal' touch with some things, but not everything. There is a balance that needs to be obtained as well as very refined. You can't just put a voice on stuff...

Why does it seem like Microsoft is just trolling people, and then they are actually serious? It explains everything they've done for a long time.

Bob will be awesome on a pc, you wouldnt have to send the voice description to a remote server for command translation.

I think Mr. Gates needs to make a comeback at Microsoft and jettison Steve Ballmer as CEO.

Clippy is my hero, I have an alter made for him in my room with candles and sacrificial pits. I bring the scattered and deserted paper clips from around the office to sacrif...uh...smelt and bring unity to create a vessel-body for which the spirit of clippy will return.

I think as computers move into home automation then a good virtual assistant will be key ... wouldn't you want to have a fully automated voice controlled system so that when you wake in the morning you could just ask the system to start the coffee while you are still getting up ... or ask the system to add eggs to your grocery list as you cook the last two for your breakfast ... whether this future virtual assistant program and technology will resemble a Siri or a MS Bob or something completely different it will eventually be a desirable feature to have ... as long as you don't give it control of the doors ("Open the Pod Bay Door, HAL" ... "I'm afraid I can't do that Dave") :D

Hahaha

"It looks like you're making coffee! It looks like you're making coffee! Would you like assistance assistance assistsdfsdfds. *system crash*

Fire sprinkler starts shooting scalding hot water.

"An Exception OE 0xFFED0000001 has occured. You must restart your house."

lol speaking of Hal, my home automation server is called hal9000. It only does the hvac at this point so I don't have to worry about getting locked out of my house just yet. :p

They messed up Windows 8 with the Metro interface, so now they want to mess up Windows 9 with Bob?

The future is looking like a very dark place :(

I hope since this comes from Gates they will call it Billy Bob and give it a Southern accent to make it interesting, kind of like that annoying automated voice on the Jurassic Park tour. As long as there is an option to disable it when you want, I welcome something new from MS.....even if it is BillyBob :D

Man oh Man is Microsoft lost...

Really can't think of anything new can they? Re hash the stuff from people who had ideas back in the day.

Corporate leadership doesn't make mistakes anymore. They are either making the tough decision or ahead of their time.

oh boy.

The bad thing about bad corporate leadership and corporate hubris is that ultimately the employees suffer. But seems like that's been in style the past year or so more than the usual levels.

I hope since this comes from Gates they will call it Billy Bob and give it a Southern accent to make it interesting, kind of like that annoying automated voice on the Jurassic Park tour. As long as there is an option to disable it when you want, I welcome something new from MS.....even if it is BillyBob :D

Microsoft BillyBob 2015, Ultimate edition. It actually has a nice ring to it. :D They can also have the data centre edition, which includes the touch activated BillyBob(tm) server setup wizard.

Hahaha

"It looks like you're making coffee! It looks like you're making coffee! Would you like assistance assistance assistsdfsdfds. *system crash*

Fire sprinkler starts shooting scalding hot water.

"An Exception OE 0xFFED0000001 has occured. You must restart your house."

No you just have to close all your windows and try again :p

No you just have to close all your windows and try again :p

And if it's completely locked up the motorized window cranks wont work either, so you have to go pull the hydro meter. :D Wait 10 seconds, then put it back in. Hopefully your central CMOS battery wont be dead or you'll have to reset all your clocks.

Good ol' Clippy.

Clippy%20Suicide%20Note.gif

What about Watson? IBM has already developed a program that could do the job.

Clippy is my hero, I have an alter made for him in my room with candles and sacrificial pits. I bring the scattered and deserted paper clips from around the office to sacrif...uh...smelt and bring unity to create a vessel-body for which the spirit of clippy will return.

ROFL, :).

He's right. They had to wait for the global stupidity level to increase to current levels.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read this headline.

What we need is to get Links the Cat back and then Microsoft stuff can become catty again. It hasn't been catty since all those awful dog owners took over key roles in the company and purged it of any cute kitties. That happened around the time Windows 7 went into development, but you could see the trend away from cats and kittens long before that with them getting rid of Links in MS Office.

Back