Linux CryENGINE Plans

HardOCP News

[H] News
Crytek is looking for a Linux programmer to work on the Linux version of CryENGINE. Got the skills? Here's the scoop:

The Crytek Website reveals that German developer Crytek is looking to hire a Linux programmer to join their team. No need to read between the lines here, as this is introduced saying this is to "work on the Linux version of the 3d engine," and the responsibility they list is to "Maintain Linux support for CryENGINE."

As much as I would like to think this is in Linux for Linux, it probably has more to do wtih the PS4.

As much as I would like to think this is in Linux for Linux, it probably has more to do wtih the PS4.

Very likely.

However, I'd like to hope this is coming to Linux-based distributions as well. Imagine how much of a momentum this will give to gaming on Linux if it's successful on top of Steam for Linux. If it pans out maybe other engines like Unreal and Frostbite will be ported as well.

Could be that PS4 is close enough to mainstream Linux, the effort to port it to Linux might actually be worth it when factoring the side benefit of getting around Microsoft.

If hardware vendors like Nvidia and AMD makes bettter and better linux drivers associated with developers porting their engines to linux - I can say to MS - Kisss my a....
If this happens I prelude the death to MS with their bloated W8 - let's wait and see.

I bet you i dont
#1 Router
#2 TV
#3 Phone

These are all likely running Linux. Unless you bought a Apple Air-Port router, and your phone is an iPhone. Though in all likely the way Microsoft is going we'll either be running Ubuntu on our PCs or Mac OS X.

PS4 runs off of modified FreeBSD not Linux. I think this has more to do with a movement towards more open gaming platforms than any one individual software/hardware platform by itself. Linux is a good first step and proof of concept, after that it probably won't take much more work to port it to Android, PS4, OSX, etc.

#1 Router
#2 TV
#3 Phone

These are all likely running Linux. Unless you bought a Apple Air-Port router, and your phone is an iPhone. Though in all likely the way Microsoft is going we'll either be running Ubuntu on our PCs or Mac OS X.

Good god some if you basement neckbeard fools cant take a damn joke about linux

All I have is an old Slackware proxy box sitting in my closet and my router. I use PC/HTPC for everything else :p

PS4 runs off of modified FreeBSD not Linux. I think this has more to do with a movement towards more open gaming platforms than any one individual software/hardware platform by itself. Linux is a good first step and proof of concept, after that it probably won't take much more work to port it to Android, PS4, OSX, etc.

I'm guessing all those systems use or can use OpenGL so I would think theres not going to be much trouble supporting most/all of them.

OH,
And before you order the cake for the "we hate linux" party keep in mind that SoC powered devices using an embedded linux is nothing like a linux distro intended for desktop distribution so you are safe from any threat no matter how imaginary. ;)

I'm thinking the differences between Windows and Linux/FreeBSD dwarf the differences between Linux and FreeBSD when writing applications and to some extent drivers for them.

Cable box, hd tv, blueray player, media player, ink jet printer with menus, router, gps. These are all highly likely to be linux based devices.
All my devices either run Windows or VxWorks. Nothing Linux-based in sight...

Most likely.
It would be too costly to develop/port it to GNU/Linux.

The return would be too little.

I'm guessing that the Linux programmer would just make sure the engine would work under Wine. It would be too much for one person to port all the graphics to OpenGL and maintain it.

I'm thinking the differences between Windows and Linux/FreeBSD dwarf the differences between Linux and FreeBSD when writing applications and to some extent drivers for them.

Yup, once you get past the kernel at lot of the userland tools are rather similar. FreeBSD uses Xorg just like almost all Linux distros do. (no idea if the PS4 is going to use Xorg but I sort of doubt it)

...in all likely the way Microsoft is going we'll either be running Ubuntu on our PCs or Mac OS X.

It's unfortunate that at the moment Microsoft manages it's biggest screw-up ever Linux also seems to be more fragmented than ever. I've been experimenting with Ubuntu and Mint on my main rig (FX8320 with an HD7970), and while I was eventually able to get the proprietary AMD driver working the native Linux games I tried (Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program) and a handful of games in Wine just didn't run as well as they do on 7. Unity blows, too, but that's a different issue.

I really wish Valve would partner up with Canonical and hardware manufacturers to get Linux up to snuff as a gaming platform.

Yup, once you get past the kernel at lot of the userland tools are rather similar. FreeBSD uses Xorg just like almost all Linux distros do. (no idea if the PS4 is going to use Xorg but I sort of doubt it)

Not for long. Xorg is on its way out.

Back