GTX 780 for 2560x1440

gladesmellzgood

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if I should purchase another GTX 780 for a single monitor running at 2560x1440. Crysis 3, the Metro games, and a few others are really destroying it with certain settings on. Would you guys recommend an SLI or just stick to the single GTX 780? I just upgraded from a 1920x1080 and do not want to go back. The rest of the rig is in my signature.

I have a single Titan and I'm strongly leaning toward 780 sli. At 1440p I think it is really the minimum to keep setting relatively maxed out while being future proof

That's what I was kind of concerned with too. I want to kind of future proof my rig to last at least 2-3 years no more upgrades. Most games run fine but the new ones are definitely stressing the card.

Future proof is non-existent in the technology world. People who bought 3gig GTX580's two years ago to be "future proof" for the next four to five years learned that mistake. Buy what you can afford now if your current rig needs upgraded and be prepared to upgrade again when your new rig is too slow.

Basically if you needed to upgrade this year, I would wait to see what AMD has in store. They could put out something in September that matches the GTX780 for less money putting pressure on Nvidia to drop their prices.

my 2 670s beat out a single 780 easy and im not fully satisfied at 1440p. :/

sucks. awesome resolution but it costs more money to play.. atleast with my standards ( i like the game to look amazing )

Definitely a Single GTX 780 will b more than enough to push just about any game at 1440p if youa re doing multi monitor that is where the game changer is but on monitor at 1440 will b more than fine

Definitely a Single GTX 780 will b more than enough to push just about any game at 1440p if youa re doing multi monitor that is where the game changer is but on monitor at 1440 will b more than fine

I have my 780 OC'ed and can't play Crysis 3 at max settings, framerate is too low. If the OP wants to play at max settings for EVERY game at 1440p he will need to do SLI. The 780GTX was about a 40-50% jump from my heavily overclocked 7950 so I am pretty happy at almost max settings doing 35-50 FPS. Not really worth it to dish out another $650 to bump that up to max settings. Now next year... could be a diff story.

no.

I have my 780 OC'ed and can't play Crysis 3 at max settings, framerate is too low. If the OP wants to play at max settings for EVERY game at 1440p he will need to do SLI. The 780GTX was about a 40-50% jump from my heavily overclocked 7950 so I am pretty happy at almost max settings doing 35-50 FPS. Not really worth it to dish out another $650 to bump that up to max settings. Now next year... could be a diff story.

yeah there are other games he cant max out even. crysis 3 isnt the only exception although its a pretty damn big one. runs like shit on my computer haha

My 780 makes all the games I play at 2560x1600/1440 look fantastic. I use the GeForce Experience app to optimize the game settings and am very pleased with the results. Were I the kind who must play a game at the highest maximum settings with no less than 60 fps during every millisecond of play I probably could find faults here and there... but that kind of gamer I ain't. ;)

Last edited:
running nvsurround here at 7680x1440 with each screen being pushed by a 780 and then I have a 780 just for phsyx. strongly considering going up to quad titans. at this resolution, I peg out vram frequently, even with each screen getting it's own card. AA is a no go in most games, and when I do it's a slideshow.

i'm not surprised to hear that you're considering going 780 sli at this resolution. however, the next logical progression is instead to go up to a titan. it will give you (at stock clocks) 20% more performance at double the vram. that might be enough for one screen. additionally, you can sell your 780 for $600 and get a titan for 850-900, decreasing your out of pocket cost.

^I would recommend the opposite. SLI 780's will be perfect (mine arrive tomorrow) for 1440p where as a Titan will flounder around just like a single 780. I think people are forgetting that the 780 and Titan perform the same up until extreme resolutions like Sabregen.

SLI 780 is the way to go for 1440p if you want to max your games out for the next year or so, it's working great for me. A single 780 will still get you great performance at 1440p (I've disabled one and tried BF3 and noticed nothing @ 60Hz), but there are already several titles you will not be able to max, and surely more on the way. If your 1440p monitor does >60Hz then the benifit of SLI is even bigger. If you can afford it, I say do it, if cash is at all tight you may want to hold on to it and still enjoy a great gaming experience with the single 780.

Yup totally noticing that! I will probably try to pick up another 780 around Black Friday or Cyber Monday. I hope I have the patience to wait that long.

^I would recommend the opposite. SLI 780's will be perfect (mine arrive tomorrow) for 1440p where as a Titan will flounder around just like a single 780. I think people are forgetting that the 780 and Titan perform the same up until extreme resolutions like Sabregen.

yep. at this res and with my board (quad SLI capable and the PSU to push it) I really should be on quad titans.

it's just really hard to justify $6k in screens and GPUs alone.

Well i'm not sure what you guys are on about as i'm perfectly happy with a single 680 at 1440p :confused:

Most games I can pretty much max (maybe dropping the AA a bit) with only Crysis 3 giving me any real problems and that still runs with high settings.

I had sli 670 power editions (reference 680 power) and I couldn't get a sable 60fps s crysis st very high but with just fxaa.

It's just some people aren't satisfied without max, like myself at this point

I'm running SLI GTX 680 Super Clocked (2GB) at 1440p and already on games like Metro Last Light and Crysis 3 it's not enough to run the games maxed out. I have to lower settings to get the games to run smoothly.
I doubt even dual 780's would provide constant 60FPS at 1440p with maxed settings.

If you can get another, get another. Future-proofing is impossible, but don't let that stop you. When the time comes to upgrade, just sell them. You lose a little selling them down the line, but you get the performance, now, without compromise. Don't go holding onto them for years and years though. One year or even less -- within that sorta time frame -- sell.

If you can get another, get another. Future-proofing is impossible, but don't let that stop you. When the time comes to upgrade, just sell them. You lose a little selling them down the line, but you get the performance, now, without compromise. Don't go holding onto them for years and years though. One year or even less -- within that sorta time frame -- sell.

a year is definitely a long time, its not really good to suggest selling them every year without knowing what the next gen will look like. look at HardOCP they tell you not to get a 780 if you have a 680, a 580 they say yes.

a year is definitely a long time, its not really good to suggest selling them every year without knowing what the next gen will look like. look at HardOCP they tell you not to get a 780 if you have a 680, a 580 they say yes.

Alright, I can dig that the difference between the 680 and 780 wasn't significant, but I'm thinking of the depreciation. From the moment you buy that any card, they begin to lose value. I never calculated it out, but I felt that the longer I held onto my 680s, the more difficult it would be to sell them. I'd say that the week the Titans came out, people were trying to sell their 680s like crazy and the prices went down. When the 780s came out, it was even more of a rush to sell.

I recently added a second Titan (which performs similarly to a 780) and I am not sure that I would recommend Titan/780 SLI over a single Titan/780 at 2560x1440.

While it is true that SLI will allow you to maximize most graphic settings, the improvement in image quality is hardly worthwhile considering the cost.

For instance, a single Titan can run Crysis 3 at 4xMSAA and SLI has enough punch to run 8xMSAA. However, in order to see the difference between the two settings, I have to pause the game and really pay attention to small details. Frankly, I would never be able to tell the difference while gaming. I can say the same thing for Metro LL, Far Cry 3 and Tomb Raider.

My take on this is that a second 780 may be interesting if you can find one at a very good price.

Alright, I can dig that the difference between the 680 and 780 wasn't significant, but I'm thinking of the depreciation. From the moment you buy that any card, they begin to lose value. I never calculated it out, but I felt that the longer I held onto my 680s, the more difficult it would be to sell them. I'd say that the week the Titans came out, people were trying to sell their 680s like crazy and the prices went down. When the 780s came out, it was even more of a rush to sell.

true. you would have to do the calculations on money lost waiting another year to sell and money saved not buying the new gen.

I recently added a second Titan (which performs similarly to a 780) and I am not sure that I would recommend Titan/780 SLI over a single Titan/780 at 2560x1440.

While it is true that SLI will allow you to maximize most graphic settings, the improvement in image quality is hardly worthwhile considering the cost.

For instance, a single Titan can run Crysis 3 at 4xMSAA and SLI has enough punch to run 8xMSAA. However, in order to see the difference between the two settings, I have to pause the game and really pay attention to small details. Frankly, I would never be able to tell the difference while gaming. I can say the same thing for Metro LL, Far Cry 3 and Tomb Raider.

My take on this is that a second 780 may be interesting if you can find one at a very good price.

I'm definitely going this route! I eased up on the AA and overclocked my 780 and the frames are definitely playable. I'll wait and see if any game I really want to play absolutely crushes my card in the future.

I'm definitely going this route! I eased up on the AA and overclocked my 780 and the frames are definitely playable. I'll wait and see if any game I really want to play absolutely crushes my card in the future.

Yeah, I am running your resolution with a single 780 and it's great. The games I play (mostly BF3 and WoW) stay above 60 FPS with settings maxed. I do plan on getting a second 780 in the future for SLI when the games demand it.

Back