Chromebooks: A Bright Spot in the Dark PC Market

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The PC market has been turned upside-down in the last year with the top of the line manufacturers in decline due to many factors, one of which being the high cost. Enter the Linux-based, Chrome OS-powered Chromebook to the rescue on the low end scale. The computer that most thought would never catch on with the PC buying public has been leading the way in the sub-$300 PC market.

"The entire low-end market, under $300 is growing. There's a trend towards aggressively priced PCs. These PCs are filling in the space left where the netbook used to be."

I have one in my garage, for streaming music, basic surfing, youtube etc, works great.

- I also have a Pixel, running Fedora 19, love it as well.

im typing this on a cr-48.

Piece of shit

Current Chromebooks use a Sandy Bridge based dualcore Celeron.

I have the Acer C7. Added 8GB of Ram to it, installed an SSD... and it's a great portable system. Practically has replaced my desktop for day to day use.

There may be growth under $300, but that's coming at the expense of higher priced models. The laptop market as a whole is shrinking in units by over 10% a year.

Price is obviously a big factor, and it's a shame that even discounted licenses from MS still price it out of many sales.

Current Chromebooks use a Sandy Bridge based dualcore Celeron.

I have the Acer C7. Added 8GB of Ram to it, installed an SSD... and it's a great portable system. Practically has replaced my desktop for day to day use.

One large problem. No Word/spreadsheet compatibility. Google docs has very wonky formatting.

This product is great in theory, but its a trojan horse and Google can't be trusted at all with anything. The same goes for most other corporations, however, Google is the king of sleazy shady spying operations (second only to the NSA).

Whatever. Of course if two people buy one this year, it's a 66.6% growth over last year's sales.
It's selling at a pace of 8-10 million a year right now, after a very slow start. Going by the numbers on NetMarketShare, there are more than 4 million (estimated) Chromebooks connected to the internets right now.

The $199 models I understand since there are no new $200 Windows laptops, but I kind of feel sorry for people who bought $250 Chromebooks. They just didn't seem to know any better. :p

This product is great in theory, but its a trojan horse and Google can't be trusted at all with anything. The same goes for most other corporations, however, Google is the king of sleazy shady spying operations (second only to the NSA).

Hard to take it seriously that they're the "king" when I can think of at least one other corporation named Microsoft trying to put a camera and microphone in every living room which can't even be unplugged without halting the device.

Open your eyes

The difference is that Google is the king, and Microsoft wants to be the king. You're talking about a product that doesn't even exist yet.

One large problem. No Word/spreadsheet compatibility. Google docs has very wonky formatting.
Anytime you mix document programs the formatting can get wonky. MS Office, LibraOffice, Google Docs, and OpenOffice don't always play nice together. The new version of Word now opens .odt files, but don't expect everything to format correctly. I found the web Office 365 to be a great solution (free) if I'm really worried about the formatting in a docx/pptx/xlsx file: https://office.microsoft.com/en-us/
This should work just fine on a Chromebook.
I think the Chromebook would work well for most people. No worries about viruses and with so many web options available you no longer need local software.
You shouldn't assume you have privacy anymore no matter what hardware & OS you are running. Go back to typing on paper if you want to keep it private.

This product is great in theory, but its a trojan horse and Google can't be trusted at all with anything.

ChromeOS is open source, dude. And it's stupid easy to monitor the traffic it sends back to Google (which, FYI, is the same as Chrome's - none whatsoever)

The same goes for most other corporations, however, Google is the king of sleazy shady spying operations (second only to the NSA).

Yeah, sure, whatever :rolleyes:

ChromeOS is open source, dude. And it's stupid easy to monitor the traffic it sends back to Google (which, FYI, is the same as Chrome's - none whatsoever)

Your post history indicates that you're Google's #1 cheerleader and that you instantly dismiss anyone that badmouths your precious mega-spycorp or is concerned about privacy in general. This does not bode well for your input on the subject.

I think you hear a lot of badmouthing of Chrome and Chromebooks from the IT side due to the fact that if they become really popular a lot of IT Support folks will be out of a job.

Makes a lot of people nervous.

Have you ever actually monitored the traffic that's sent by a Google product or looked at the source code? Would any of that make sense to you if you'd tried?

Your post history indicates that you're Google's #1 cheerleader and that you instantly dismiss anyone that badmouths your precious mega-spycorp or is concerned about privacy in general. This does not bode well for your input on the subject.

And what you doing looking at that fools history you NSA stalker :mad:

Microsoft was the first company to start turning over data to the NSA.

PRISM%20powerpoint.jpg

Back