RIAA Wants Infamous File-Sharer to Campaign Against Piracy

HardOCP News

[H] News
Alright, let's hear it. If the RIAA offered you this deal, would you do it? Would you make a PSA to get that massive verdict reduced?

Did you hear the one about the world’s most infamous music file-sharer being asked to publicly extol the virtues of the Recording Industry Association of America’s anti-piracy platform? The RIAA is suggesting Jammie Thomas-Rasset do just that. In exchange, the recording studios’ lobbying and litigation arm would reduce a $222,000 jury verdict the Supreme Court let stand in May — her punishment for sharing 24 songs on the now-defunct file-sharing service Kazaa. “I’m not doing it.”

Ohhh seriously. 222000, for sharing 24?!?! songs?! Holy shit. I want a list of these songs and then to reach out to the recording artists for each of them and ask if THIS WOMAN should be having to pay each of them 9,250 dollars in what the RIAA considers Lost funds.

EFF THEM they have spent more money trying to SCARE people away from downloading/sharing music than they have made the recording industry.

I want to publish a list of every musician who's music has led to a STUPID fine for the person who shared their music maliciously or not. THEN I want to share how much the RIAA members are paying in taxes and why. Because I bet they are pulling some shenanigans themselves most notably this lawsuit bullshit.

I want to start a BOYCOTT of all artists who's music has been part of this. Let the Artists turn against the stupid recording industry on this and end this crap. I don't mind paying 10 bucks for an album. And if I want to share it with a couple friends fine. But if I share it with THOUSANDS of people. THEN that's a problem. I don't know.. perhaps those were the 24 most powerful evocative/communicated songs in histroy from her single Kazaa distribution. Maybe I don't know shit.

I have boycoted the entertainment industry for years, ever since the first file sharers got sued.

Every single one of my favourite artists have been introduced to me by lending or copying friends records - and after that I purchased all their records. Now I take only what I get for free i.e. podcasts, internet radio etc. I'm not shelling a penny towards RIAA and the rest of the mafia.

Ohhh seriously. 222000, for sharing 24?!?! songs?! Holy shit. I want a list of these songs and then to reach out to the recording artists for each of them and ask if THIS WOMAN should be having to pay each of them 9,250 dollars in what the RIAA considers Lost funds.

EFF THEM they have spent more money trying to SCARE people away from downloading/sharing music than they have made the recording industry.

I want to publish a list of every musician who's music has led to a STUPID fine for the person who shared their music maliciously or not. THEN I want to share how much the RIAA members are paying in taxes and why. Because I bet they are pulling some shenanigans themselves most notably this lawsuit bullshit.

I want to start a BOYCOTT of all artists who's music has been part of this. Let the Artists turn against the stupid recording industry on this and end this crap. I don't mind paying 10 bucks for an album. And if I want to share it with a couple friends fine. But if I share it with THOUSANDS of people. THEN that's a problem. I don't know.. perhaps those were the 24 most powerful evocative/communicated songs in histroy from her single Kazaa distribution. Maybe I don't know shit.

Loud Noises!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UplJBQi_0_w

IIRC the original judgement was for 1.92 million, or 80k per song, she got it "knocked down" to this price.

That said, would I take the deal? Depends upon my finances, property, valuables, etc, and how much bankruptcy would really wipe away or if you'd still be on the hook to pay it off over time. Luckily I'm smart enough in my finances (and lack of illegal activities :D) that I've never had this issue come up so I'm not sure of specifics. I also own my house, but from what I understand bankruptcy can not take your home, in fact it's used to prevent that in cases where you're falling behind on mortgage payments.

RIAA can suck dez nuts and eat that bag of dicks

I would do it...

That shit will mess her life up, no one is helping her. It really is the only option or work cash jobs for the rest of her life.

Laws need to be put into perspective, those fines are for money making enterprises not personal offenses... It is insane that this has gone so far, the punishment does not equal the crime.

Maybe we should send people to prison for life for jaywalking or fine them 1 billion dollars... or maybe dunk them in a tank with sharks with lasers on their head... Dr evil style.

I would do it...

That shit will mess her life up, no one is helping her. It really is the only option or work cash jobs for the rest of her life.

Laws need to be put into perspective, those fines are for money making enterprises not personal offenses... It is insane that this has gone so far, the punishment does not equal the crime.

Maybe we should send people to prison for life for jaywalking or fine them 1 billion dollars... or maybe dunk them in a tank with sharks with lasers on their head... Dr evil style.

I agree, I don't agree with the verdict or damages awarded in this case but at some point you just have to do what it takes to let it go.

IMO 220k is a lifetime repayment, depending on the charges it

A. can't be discharged in bankruptcy (Judgements are non-dischargable)
B. they can eventually start garnishing her wages depending on the judgement.

it would just be better off to come out, say Piracy is wrong-bad and move on with your life.

Or she could move to a country that doesn't do this kind of crap.

Honestly, that's what I've always wondered about this case. Is there any reason she can't just move to say Canada, and apply for citizenship, and live a normal life? Like are we such a corporate big brother state where she'd be kept from leaving until her debts are paid? I'd be trying real damn hard to give a big FU to the old US of A if the courts did this to me...

If I were her, I might have gone apeshit by now and shown the RIAA President what $222,000 of damage actually looks like. ;)

they (RIAA/MPAA) are going to push and push until they ruin the lives of the one CRAZY guy who's not going to have a problem loading up a van full of ammo or explosives, and just take out as many people as possible that work at their corporate offices.

It hasn't happened yet -- but there are people out there who when you take everything away from them for something so stupid as THIS, they snap. To be honest I wouldn't be too upset if it happened either -- when they wake up and realize their flat out greed has cost human lives maybe then they would think "wow maybe these song's aren't really worth $100k each"

Doesn't help that our justice system is increasingly corrupt either. The fact drunk drivers can kill someone with their car and serve less time and pay less money just shows you how stupid it all is.

Depending on the wording of the "deal" they present -- do the deal, get a clean slate, 366 days later make it VERY public how you REALLY feel, and how they are strong arm crooks and that piracy would be fixed with SO many other methods besides dropping a 5 million dollar nuke on a grandma worth $5,000

Apparently the RIAA doesn't employ economists whatsoever... the cost to go after these people vs the actual return? Total waste, just like their business model

This kind of thing is why you can never be completely against terrorist attacks. If someone flew a plane or drove a truck full of fertiliser into RIAA headquarters, I would celebrate it.

Shouldn't they just make her wear a Scarlett Letter or a Star of David?

Perhaps an ID number tattoo?

How is this not straight up bribery or something?

"we can lobby to make this go away if you do x"

Pretty fucking shady. I"ll tell them to fuck right off.

This kind of thing is why you can never be completely against terrorist attacks. If someone flew a plane or drove a truck full of fertiliser into RIAA headquarters, I would celebrate it.

Yeah, except if you dance in the streets, it will be played on the MSM and used as an excuse for a military occupation of your entire city. ;)

If there was ever a proper use of the term FUCK YOU, i think we have now found it, AND, you could place it within a legal document sent in to the court without any repercussions.

To The Record Industry Association of America, in regards to case #..................................... in the state of .................. regarding the settlement, my client wishes to convey the following:

Fuuuccckkkkk Youuuuu!
LOL

I agree, I don't agree with the verdict or damages awarded in this case but at some point you just have to do what it takes to let it go.

IMO 220k is a lifetime repayment, depending on the charges it

A. can't be discharged in bankruptcy (Judgements are non-dischargable)
B. they can eventually start garnishing her wages depending on the judgement.

it would just be better off to come out, say Piracy is wrong-bad and move on with your life.

Here's how I see this playing out, if she does do it... the government turns around and considers it a payment for services (a paycheck) from the RIAA, as a result she gets taxed $77k right off the top, so she still owes $77k to the RIAA, or the IRS :D

Here's how I see this playing out, if she does do it... the government turns around and considers it a payment for services (a paycheck) from the RIAA, as a result she gets taxed $77k right off the top, so she still owes $77k to the RIAA, or the IRS :D

Wouldn't FICA get a cut too? ;)

I'd lay odds the ARTISTS got none of that 222K either

If the artists had a problem with it, they shouldn't have signed a contract with whoever they signed a contract with. I don't really understand the "think of the artist" stuff, they are the ones who chose to sign away their work to try and make it big.

Read the article.

Willingly or not, if Thomas ends up paying even a small amount she will indirectly contribute to the RIAA’s anti-piracy efforts. The RIAA previously stated that piracy damages do not flow to the artists, but are reinvested in anti-piracy efforts.

Or she could move to a country that doesn't do this kind of crap.

Then the RIAA will bribe police, politicians, and judges into complying with US laws. Even use US politicians to strong arm other countries. Like what happened to Kim Dotcom in New Zealand.

Back