Huge Dome Made By Computer-Guided Silkworms

Wow.
The possibilities for manufacturing are immense.

Ok I'm going to say "meh" .. that was extremely misleading. They had metal hexagons, used a CNC machine to draw silk over it a ton of times, then put on silk worms who simply filled in the gaps based on the fact there was already silk and they had places to attach to.

Calling them computer guided is like building a circuit board with a CNC, and then when I attach the components to it saying the computer guided me to put the components on it.

Ok I'm going to say "meh" .. that was extremely misleading. They had metal hexagons, used a CNC machine to draw silk over it a ton of times, then put on silk worms who simply filled in the gaps based on the fact there was already silk and they had places to attach to.

Calling them computer guided is like building a circuit board with a CNC, and then when I attach the components to it saying the computer guided me to put the components on it.

This. I'm wondering if the first two commenters even read the article.

I can appreciate the engineering that went into making that dome, but not the worms crawling over it... this just seems like a waste of time, but I'm not the hipster artsy-fartsy type so most of that MIT stuff just bores me.

It's doomed. When the AFL-CIO organizes the worms (they themselves are worms, so it would BE easy), it will become too expensive to pay all the pensions for workers who retire in 2 months...

First there was computer-guided cockroaches, now we have this. You know what that means? Humans are definitely going to be next. :eek:

The tinfoil hat crowd already thinks they're doing this to people using HAARP. That is, when they're not causing earthquakes, hurricanes, and global warming with it. :p

Back