[Scratch Build/Completed] VX-42 Wall Mounted Home Server

Complx

n00b
Hey everyone, I want to say hello since this is my first post on Hard Forum!

Sadly I completed this project before I had a chance to do a proper build log, but I do have an album of pictures you can view here: http://imgur.com/a/tnKTh

This is also my first custom case built from scratch, so I thought I would share.

The premise behind this project was the need for a large amount of storage. (3+TB or more) I have been wanting to build my own home media server for sometime and finally found an excuse to build one. I wanted to be able to stream media to my various mobile devices and run an FTP server, plus since im a gamer, I wanted to be able to host game servers for my buddies and I to play on as well.

My biggest problem was space. My desk was cluttered enough as it was and I didnt have anywhere to put it, even the small ITX cases were too big. Thats when I started browsing online for inspiration and thats when it hit me to put it on the wall.

The base plate with everything was attached to, in these pictures, was made of smoked acrylic, I later decided that I didn't like it as much as I had hoped so I replaced it with a piece of anodized aluminum, which the later pictures will show.

Kt3nWuy.jpg

oZN5YXE.jpg

JWvMRp6.jpg

D4Idj7Q.jpg

f1wXyvO.jpg

8DLBUQR.png

m7VcANI.jpg

3pUwjBf.jpg

SXe7w20.jpg

yvwGnlq.png

rBG9DzD.png

LPFS8lH.jpg

Aluminum Plate

Re6H9ML.jpg

R5wxx5q.jpg

vXrODFH.jpg

crj1MrL.jpg

After Anodizing:

g9IIFnV.jpg

rrsyIwc.jpg

dU5fKZY.jpg

ctr40Cq.jpg

Etching:

xKV4VyQ.jpg

rAb6TMZ.jpg

pDVfa6b.jpg

Final Design with Aluminum Plate in Place:

jzlMOCk.jpg

Hope you enjoyed viewing this project with took many months to complete, if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
On the wall:

D8T13bOh.jpg

That's pretty slick! Wall mounting a function PC is an interesting concept.

Now you just need to hide those cables, either in the wall or one of those hard plastic looms used with flat panel TVs.

That aluminum piece is excellent. Based on the precision granite table it's sitting on in some of the pics, I take it you did this at work? I'd love to see the anodizing process. A piece that size, it must be a legit process you have set up, not just the 5 gallon bucket tricks ;)

Anyways, nicely done!

That's pretty slick! Wall mounting a function PC is an interesting concept.

Now you just need to hide those cables, either in the wall or one of those hard plastic looms used with flat panel TVs.

That aluminum piece is excellent. Based on the precision granite table it's sitting on in some of the pics, I take it you did this at work? I'd love to see the anodizing process. A piece that size, it must be a legit process you have set up, not just the 5 gallon bucket tricks ;)

Anyways, nicely done!

Oh, and welcome to the [H]!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I actually had it made for me, I don't have the tools to do it myself. (thought I wish I did) The guy who manufactured it for me was nice enough to snap some photos of the process along the way. It came out looking great in the end, but its was crazy expensive to have done haha. And you're right, I need to get the cables hanging from the case hidden somehow, I would love to put them in the wall, though I don't think the folks would like big holes in the wall when I decide to move out.

That is very unusual, but a very creative way of treating the system as a piece of artwork. Nicely done!

Stuff like this is what makes the worklogs forum so cool. Very inspiring.

Now, if it only had capacity for 10+ TB......

Make that as a kid, I will buy it! lol
I think the sale and trade of children might be against forum rules and maybe a few laws. Also, check Paypal terms of sale. ;)

Seriously, a kit would be pretty cool. I'd probably opt for an aluminum acrylic version.

You know,,, if the project were mounted onto a pole or a tripod similar to a Torchiere Floor Lamp, even the wiring could be made obscure and smart in its appearance while still maintaining low latency network connectivity.

But no matter how the wiring is done,, Great job on the project as it turned out so far!

Looks like its behind the motherboard:
17eW39ch.jpg
I guess I should have followed the worklog link.

Nice Psu and fan placement. Beautiful and keeps everything out of the way.

The whole thing looks like a framed work of art.

That build is pretty sick. Nice job on the the design on that. Different than anything I have every seen before. :D

Back