Dropbox Aims to Replace The Hard Drive

HardOCP News

[H] News
"Aims to replace the hard drive altogether?" That's a pretty bold statement, don't you think?

Aiming to replace the hard drive altogether, Dropbox is making moves to expand operating as just a simple cloud storage app to a fully-fledged platform of services. "Sync is the new save. We're never going back," declared Houston, adding this particular feature is a problem that affects everyone.

If they can't guarantee me the same uptime as my hard drive, as well as the same speed an an SSD, I'm not interested.

In fact, even if they can, I'm not interested in storing my personal data and software where I don't have physical control over it.

People come up with some really fucking stupid ideas sometimes.

Well that's convenient because whenever I delete a file on my computer to try to resync it with the older version, dropbox deletes it too.

Because we want to sift everyone's data. ALL OF IT. After all, the money that advertisers (and others) would spend to see the data would be vast, VAST!

Because we want to sift everyone's data. ALL OF IT. After all, the money that advertisers (and others) would spend to see the data would be vast, VAST!

Indeed. Local storage is the way to go. Hell, even if you're backing up to the cloud, i'd still encrypt the shit out of it first. Sure, it's breakable, but they'd have to at least EARN the right to look at my stuffs.

Plus i live in a hurricane zone, just like the Major, so power and internet outages aren't exactly rare events. But i can run my computer off of a UPS/generator and surf all of my backed up pron in the dark! Try that with a cloud!

That, and i am so old school i still have magazine pron! :D And real, honest to god BOOKS, that require no power at all to use (in daylight). :D

Sync is not the new fucking save when I get 50gb of bandwidth a frigging month @ Rogers.

Fuck you dropbox.

:)

Only idiots will fall for this. I have 20 TB hard drive space and a blu-ray burner with lots of 100 gig disc.

Let me create a 20TB Truecrypt volume and link it to my system like a standard hard drive and I'll use it as supplemental storage, until then, nahhhhhhh.

Yes no HARD DRIVES so they have Access to all our data online. Just kill the privacy, that's what they want.

Lol I won't even use skydrive, or steam or whatever other bs cloud service much less this !

i'm not gonna trust any "cloud" or virtual storage as servers will get overloaded

Lol, no..just no. Dream on Dropbox. People are starting to slowly but steadily wake up to how big of a privacy issue the "cloud" really is. I give it 5 years, 10 tops before people start swinging back to local storage in droves.

This makes no sense! Where would they store our data with no hard drives?

replace the hard drive as a means of storing data, yes I'll buy that. I seriously doubt if Dropbox meant to say they want to replace your hard drive for everyday programs and games you play on your computer.

I'm a Dropbox for Business user (in addition to SkyDrive Pro) and I rely on them to sync my data between all of my devices. I can get to my documents anytime, anywhere, on any machines, tablets and phones.

Sync is not the new fucking save when I get 50gb of bandwidth a frigging month @ Rogers.

Fuck you dropbox.

:)

That's not Dropbox's fault. That's Roger's fault. Misdirect blame is misdirected.

And some agents from NSA comes in the Dropbox office and taps the owner's shoulder.....

The NSA you portray can already get into your computer anytime they wish. They don't need Dropbox or JustCloud or Box.com or Skydrive. If the NSA wants data from you, they'll be at your door already. Stop hallucinating so much and join reality.

Only idiots will fall for this. I have 20 TB hard drive space and a blu-ray burner with lots of 100 gig disc.

Think beyond individual uses. Dropbox for Business pools 125GB of storage to company storage pool every time you buy a license. Our company is scattered all over the country (we're a project management firm). We are currently at roughly 6TB of pooled Dropbox for Business storage space between about 30 user licenses. Dropbox provides us with virtually unlimited bandwidth for all users whereas if I bought 6TB of storage for our storage server, the company would have to pay out of the ass for the bandwidth needed to continuously sync files between users EACH MONTH. The amount we pay Dropbox for that storage in a year would cost the company every month in internet cost to maintain the sync speed. Your solution is only good if a company stayed within an internal network or perhaps in a couple locations with high speed internet among a few people.

replace the hard drive as a means of storing data, yes I'll buy that.

GKYa0gK.png

Not at those prices (That's the "pro" plan, which is for residential users, not the more expensive business plan)!

$50 a month for 500GB? Shit, I could buy a 500 GB hard drive every month for that price. Not to mention transfer speed, etc.

Think beyond individual uses. Dropbox for Business pools 125GB of storage to company storage pool every time you buy a license. Our company is scattered all over the country (we're a project management firm). We are currently at roughly 6TB of pooled Dropbox for Business storage space between about 30 user licenses. Dropbox provides us with virtually unlimited bandwidth for all users whereas if I bought 6TB of storage for our storage server, the company would have to pay out of the ass for the bandwidth needed to continuously sync files between users EACH MONTH. The amount we pay Dropbox for that storage in a year would cost the company every month in internet cost to maintain the sync speed. Your solution is only good if a company stayed within an internal network or perhaps in a couple locations with high speed internet among a few people.

I think this may become the way with gigabit internet. It's just too convenient. Although I'm a Google Drive guy. All my computers have it.

Without the need for storage or optical on laptops, that means all the more room for cooling. In for GTX 980m SLI in an ultrabook 2017!. :p

https://fiber.google.com/features/

Not only does it make my pee-pee move but I kind of want to abandon my Dallas roots for an Austin job now. :eek:

I think this may become the way with gigabit internet. It's just too convenient. Although I'm a Google Drive guy. All my computers have it.

Without the need for storage or optical on laptops, that means all the more room for cooling. In for GTX 980m SLI in an ultrabook 2017!. :p

https://fiber.google.com/features/

Not only does it make my pee-pee move but I kind of want to abandon my Dallas roots for an Austin job now. :eek:

Uncle Google likes having your Google drive's contents to browse over lunch breaks.

Just had to make another comment :) Let's see they want you to get rid of your hard drive storage so they can store your data on their hard drives and charge you money for it monthly. Not only do make you pay to store your information but they also sell your information to anyone willing to pay money for it. This is the same bs the government has with gun control ! They wan't to take your guns from you but they don't want to surrender their guns to protect themselves. Wake up people if you actually fall for this cloud bs and ya this includes all you steam lovers too.

Just had to make another comment :) Let's see they want you to get rid of your hard drive storage so they can store your data on their hard drives and charge you money for it monthly. Not only do make you pay to store your information but they also sell your information to anyone willing to pay money for it. This is the same bs the government has with gun control ! They wan't to take your guns from you but they don't want to surrender their guns to protect themselves. Wake up people if you actually fall for this cloud bs and ya this includes all you steam lovers too.

28713472.jpg

It is truly mind boggling to hear hype (lies) like this.
But I guess when you are selling a “cloud” you have to spread the fog around.

I think it sad that things have gone this far. I suppose that there may be a few people with unique situations that require 500GB accessible from anywhere, but saying you are going to eliminate the hard drive is such amazing drivel it leaves me breathless.

I guess the target customer are those same people who thought they needed AOL after they got broadband internet.

This whole topic is somewhat inaccurate in it's current form. With Dropbox you are still required to store all synced data locally on your hard drive. Remove your local storage and you can't use Dropbox. I can't really take topics like this one seriously unless Dropbox makes a statement indicating they are going to be providing a sync free storage service in the near future.
In fact, the company I currently work for just switched from Dropbox to another sync free cloud storage provider because they didn't have the disk space available to sync properly on some of the office laptops.
Even with free 2TB Drop-boxes for everyone hard drives will still be required, high bandwidth connectivity or no.
Once Dropbox offers the ability to mount the cloud based storage as a drive with no sync requirements (perhaps with optional intelligent or manual caching to assist in performance for commonly used files) we will have an actual story. There are already tools that offer this functionality for Amazon's S3 cloud storage. Meanwhile, nothing to see here. Move along

Back