Microsoft Quietly Shuts Down MSN TV

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft has announced to its users that it will be closing the MSN TV service as of September 30th. Microsoft bought what was then Web TV for $503 Million way back in 1997. The service has not been upgraded in over 10 years and has suffered a declining user base.

Today we are announcing that we will be closing the MSN TV service. The last day of the MSN TV service will be September 30, 2013. We want this transition to be as smooth as possible for you.

Dang, at first glance I though MSNBC was closing. Oh well, its only a matter of time. That channel is pure radical liberal zealotry.

The MSN TV 2 was running a 733 MHz Intel Celeron with 128 MB RAM in 480i. After so long and a large portion of the web that is simply unusable, you would think there wouldn't be any subscribers.

The hardware hasn't been sold in years and probably the only reason it was supported this long was because the profit on the service was ridiculous for a while, something like 65%. It's the same reasons why AOL keeps their dialup going the userbase is dropping off, but it's still brings a decent profit.

I really thought this was already shutdown. I don't think I've seen one of these in 10 years.

Should have waited a few months and offered them a small discount on and Xbox One, it's the spiritual successor to the web TV system anyway.

Dang, at first glance I though MSNBC was closing. Oh well, its only a matter of time. That channel is pure radical liberal zealotry.

Gotta love the myopic viewpoint of all the hillbilly "conservatives" in this ass-backwards country who have no clue as to what liberal truly means...

Spend some time traveling to the rest of the world and you'll soon see there are really only two types of media here in the U.S.: the mainstream media such as CNN which is actually quite conservative as opposed to the press in most western countries (and historically speaking, even much more conservative than the U.S. media used to be back when news was about journalism and not entertainment..)

And then there's the bat-shit insane media like Fox News who caters to all the inbred rednecks that this country seems to have so damn many of...

Newsflash... If the media seems "liberal" to you it's because that's the way that educated people sound to those with deficient intelligence.

Gotta love the myopic viewpoint of all the hillbilly "conservatives" in this ass-backwards country who have no clue as to what liberal truly means...

Spend some time traveling to the rest of the world and you'll soon see there are really only two types of media here in the U.S.: the mainstream media such as CNN which is actually quite conservative as opposed to the press in most western countries (and historically speaking, even much more conservative than the U.S. media used to be back when news was about journalism and not entertainment..)

And then there's the bat-shit insane media like Fox News who caters to all the inbred rednecks that this country seems to have so damn many of...

Newsflash... If the media seems "liberal" to you it's because that's the way that educated people sound to those with deficient intelligence.

Liberalism means two different things your highness. When you spend time traveling the world, you find that out.

In the US, it means "welfare state", in Europe is more like the US Libertarian movement.

But you being all intellectual and shit, you must already know that.

Signed,

Toothless Freakin' Hick who think MSNBC leans more than that odd building in Pisa, Italy.

^ liberal media argument is moot because all mass media in the US is a joke

I remember when MSN TV was first announced. Never really garnered my interest therefore I never watched it. Surprised it lasted this long.

The only time I ever saw one of these units is when Ii was on vacation in Vegas and stayed at Treasure Island

I did not realize that Microsoft did anything with WebTV after they bought them out. I thought they bought it to basically acquire patent rights and use in other projects, basically killing off WebTV.

MSN had a TV service?

Well I guess this proves if you don't advertise a service, it's not going to get used...Kind of like Yahoo.

I did not realize that Microsoft did anything with WebTV after they bought them out. I thought they bought it to basically acquire patent rights and use in other projects, basically killing off WebTV.

Basically, this. I used the old WebTV service from about '98 to '05. Wasn't awful at first but always terribly slow. Great for e-mail and "slow" web browsing. Once MS bought it out, it went way downhill from there. Think it was maybe a bit ahead of its time. Precursor to AppleTV, GoogleTV, XBox and SmartTVs. I could watch TV PIP and browse the web at the same time. It was interactive in some ways but as tech progressed it fell further and further behind. Expect maybe a million users in its heyday around year 2000. Had some great alt.discuss groups that I still miss--unavailable to PC users.

Still have my old Sony Plus box and wireless keyboard. Guess I can toss them finally. It did get me interested enough in computers to finally buy one, then start building them. Lots of things about WebTV were nice and simple; sorry it never got support from MS.

LOL, you lost all credibility there. Also, I'm almost certain my intelligence and level of education exceeds yours.

Back