The How And Where Of Fireworks Injuries

HardOCP News

[H] News
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has put out a very handy guide to where, when and how people get hurt using fireworks. Please do not try to add anything to next year's list. ;)

LOLOL where is that video of the two kids firing roman candles at each other? So SMRT

At the end of the day at the Indian Reservation near Issaquah Wash, they would play Cowboys and Indians in a big field. They would take all the left over fireworks, and form 2 lines on opposite side.

Then we tried to maim each other with Roman Candles, Mortars, and Sky Rockets. The Indians get the good shit.

Good times, fond memories.

Today I live is a city where sparklers are potentially a IED. Everything is illegal, all houses must have sprinklers, the FD crawls up your ass constantly: Uh, you have 10 tires. That's dangerous!!!

And the FD, which now has little to do, gets huge Union bucks for polishing their truck and hassling businesses who aren't a risk.

Oh, I forgot the best part:

"We are making all fireworks illegal, but you can come watch the show if you want fireworks."

Now they cancelled the show. Fk'rs.

In the communist police state of Taxachushitts, fireworks are tools of the terrorist and are not legal.

The biggest population explosion in the USA occurred at a time when:

Guns were not registered. There were no seat belts or airbags. No helmet req'd for motorcycles or bicycles. All fireworks were legal. Basically, you could run with scissors.

Today, at least for caucasions, the birthrate is negative. We are not reproducing. Probably because we are afraid of getting arrested if we "explode",

I'm surprised there aren't more groin injuries from drunkenly held, or launched, fireworks :rolleyes:.

I've injured myself way more in the kitchen than I ever did with fireworks.. even back when the good stuff was still legal (well ok firecrackers never were, but airborne ones were).

I say let people do stupid things. It's time we let natural selection run it's course.

Fireworks are AWESOME especially the flying ones... but so damn expensive haha... Over time I learn to stop buying them such a waste of money...

Last night, around 10PM or so, someone a few blocks away decided it'd be cute to put on their own fireworks show.

About 20 minutes into it or so, there was a boom that could be felt at my house. A few minutes later, I heard the local FD's trucks go tearing down that way.

And that's why fireworks, while awesome, should be left to the professionals.

So, would you rather live as lion for day, a sheep for a century? :D

There is no such thing as safety, only percentages.

Nobody gets out alive. We all die. Some during birth, some at 130 years.

My friend posted up a video of him holding those little rocket firework haha and he ended up getting burned lmao

Are you truly [H] if you haven't pushed the envelope with pyrotechnics?

M80's in an obsolete P3 or Celeron, wired into the 12v using Estes Rocket igniters, and detonate it via the web?

An M1000 will level a SaniCan/Honeybucket or a large freestanding US postal drop box. (So I'm told)

3 articles about stupid fireworks. wtf?

For the record, fireworks should be banned as they harm birds.

Seriously, why do you think they issue waterfowl hunting licenses?

You have no idea how overpopulated geese and ducks are. They are killing themselves and destroying crops.

The American Crow has no problems nor the wren family. And we won't even bring up pigeons.

I'd like to know the what percentage of people injured were also drunk.

I don't think the serious pyros get hurt too often.

I know I have all my fingers, but I'm not going to admit to much.

But I've heard of:

Get about 100 lb of wood, 2x4's etc in a bonfire about 6' in diameter.
When the flames are at least 6' tall, put a VW engine case (type 1) into the middle.
Wait 20 minutes and enjoy. It will change your life, and is now outlawed on all BLM land.

Get your cutting torch lit and adjust the flame for cutting. Then smack it on the ground to kill it.
Get a large trash bag, and put the nozzle in the opening. Hit the O2 level and hold it until the bag is full. Tie it off.

You need to be at least 100' way when you ignite it. Rolled newspaper works. Glass windows within 50' might shatter.

You've never seen anything like it.

3" PVC pipe a foot long and two caps. Drill an 1/8" hole in one cap. Put a 1lb can of 4F blackpowder in it. Glue second cap on. Put a 2' piece of cannon fuse deep into the hole. Available at finer gun stores.

This one I suggest burying at least 2 feet deep to slow down the shrapnel. It will Make Your Day.

Seriously, why do you think they issue waterfowl hunting licenses?

You have no idea how overpopulated geese and ducks are. They are killing themselves and destroying crops.

The American Crow has no problems nor the wren family. And we won't even bring up pigeons.

Government bodies issue hunting licenses because there are many insecure people buying them.

I have no idea how overpopulated geese and ducks are where you live. They are pretty rare around here. If what you say is true, then my guess is they're killing each other because there's not enough food for all of them.

I find it disturbing to describe animals eating crops as "destroying" them. You wanna talk pigeons? Yes, they are very mean to each other. Certainly not worse than humans, though. Then again, you openly support pillaging other countries as it sustains your quality of life. I guess your arrogance have no boundaries.

If I understand it right, #1 can permanently destroy your corneas. It's brighter than an arc welder, and can be seen for over 20 miles. The fire cannot be extinguished, and if you are dumb enough to pour water on it, you will visit the ER or the morgue.

#2 can rupture your ear drums. Very close range can cause death due to shock wave. No shrapnel, but the velocity of the explosion is incredible.

#3 is absolutely a felony today. This will pick a small car up off the ground.

3 articles about stupid fireworks. wtf?

We like to post a little something for the people that are stuck at work on the holiday. So, I come in to work...on the holiday...to post a little news, some hardware links and links to stuff that PERTAINS to the holiday in question.

No worries though, most people are appreciative of the effort and understand why we do what we do here. Thankfully there are also people to criticize us for that...you know...so we know what to do better next time.

Government bodies issue hunting licenses because there are many insecure people buying them.

I have no idea how overpopulated geese and ducks are where you live. They are pretty rare around here. If what you say is true, then my guess is they're killing each other because there's not enough food for all of them.

I find it disturbing to describe animals eating crops as "destroying" them. You wanna talk pigeons? Yes, they are very mean to each other. Certainly not worse than humans, though. Then again, you openly support pillaging other countries as it sustains your quality of life. I guess your arrogance have no boundaries.

You need to get out more. You must control the waterfowl population or let them go extinct. They issue enough tags to keep the population within reason.

I've seen snow geese and Canadians so thick they darken the skies. Way past natural density? Why? Agriculture.

You can always ban hunting, then pay millions for professional extermination by the government.

Right now deer are a serious problem and they are paying Fed Union Employees to harvest them, often discarding the meat. In a 100 mile stretch in West Texas, our family counted over 80 road-kill deer that we could see.

Hey, it's your site. You can do whatever you want with it. Didn't realize it was a holiday.

Not so fun fact: back in the day we used to have fireworks AND AK-47 gunfire at national holidays. Evey fucking time. How's that for a festive atmosphere on a national level heh...

You need to get out more. You must control the waterfowl population or let them go extinct. They issue enough tags to keep the population within reason.

I've seen snow geese and Canadians so thick they darken the skies. Way past natural density? Why? Agriculture.

You can always ban hunting, then pay millions for professional extermination by the government.

Right now deer are a serious problem and they are paying Fed Union Employees to harvest them, often discarding the meat. In a 100 mile stretch in West Texas, our family counted over 80 road-kill deer that we could see.

Good job at not addressing any of my points. You're such a "fact" spewing machine. I do like to go out. Wild nature is my fav. Seems you're not very fond of it.

Other Fun Fact. Thousand of volunteers with no winter clothes or footwear in sub-zero temps, who were starving, and hadn't been paid in months, out-manuevered the well-supplied and better armed British soldiers (the best in the world), and won the American Revolution.

It proved the typical American could whup the ass of the best soldiers on earth.

Good job at not addressing any of my points. You're such a "fact" spewing machine. I do like to go out. Wild nature is my fav. Seems you're not very fond of it.

Personal Observations. Facts are found on the internet. When you see what the Canadian Geese do to Canada, and ask Canadians, then get back with me.

There are a very limited number of species that are allowed to be hunted. All are overpopulated.

Used to go to my aunts house when little and up the street was a jackass of a man who was deaf. He'd set off "barrel bombs" (or whatever the equivalent name is) because he liked it that he could feel the shockwave on account of him being deaf... meanwhile my uncle cursing a storm up because the kids outside are stumbling around due to the shockwave... irony is not lost on him yelling at the guy.

No worries though, most people are appreciative of the effort and understand why we do what we do here. Thankfully there are also people to criticize us for that...you know...so we know what to do better next time.

I'm kinda disappointed that you guyz didn't overclock these fireworks.... i understand you wanna review the out of the box experience ...but we want it hard! :p

other than that nice review , keep up the good work ;)

thanks for being here today steve!

Back