Microsoft Confirms DirectX 11.2 is a Windows 8.1, Xbox One Exclusive

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Good news and bad news: The good news is that Microsoft has announced it will be releasing DirectX 11.2 in time for the rollout of the Xbox One and Windows 8.1. Now for the bad news: The release will only be for Xbox One and Windows 8.1. So much for retro support, huh? :D

It's a clever trick, and one that could help boost the quality of future PC games - but it's one that will require those who have yet to take the plunge to upgrade their operating systems. Leblond confirmed that Direct3D 11.2 will be the first version of the API to support tiled resources, and that it will be exclusive to Windows 8.1 on the PC as well as featuring in Microsoft's next-generation Xbox One console.

I can get Windows 8 free through my school and still haven't bothered with it yet. Things like this just make me care even less to be honest. In addition to keeping my video card for what looks to be over two years (which is a personal record) and MS attempting to force people to upgrade their OS because it can't sell on its own merits, it's an unfortunate time to be an enthusiast.

Gabe needs to step up to the plate with some new Half Life goodness, linux style.

nope. not buying in to this bullshit. looks like it's time to get back into cars and leave pcs/games behind for good.

so what does ps4 use exactly as far as direct x, and what does this mean as far as the potential performance difference between the two?

It is hilarious how opposite the first few posts in this thread are.

For me I run win 8 on my gaming desktop attached to my TV and I love it. Very excited to upgrade to 8.1. I guess the rest of you will continue to write about the good ol' days, Linux, and how personally offended you are...

Someone will make it work in Win 7 anyhow. So, Don't care really. Also there is the fact that most games likely won't even support it for years.

Who cares? Why would anyone code for it? So they could only port it to Xbone and PCs with Windows 8? Yeah, publishers will just love that. :rolleyes:

Unacceptable. . Microsoft can try any trick they want. Im passing on windows 8band thats just the way it is

It'll be another decade before any developer not paid by Microsoft or not Xbone-only codes their game with DirectX 11.2 as the minimum requirement. My concern over this equals zero.

I believe that MicroSoft knows Exactly what they are doing. Stretch out some updates and keep them just enough apart and build into every other update, or every third update things that people want and or need. Very Smart Marketing Strategy. As for me I won't be advancing to Widnows 8. I'm either wiating to see what comes out (beta version at the end of 2013, or the beginning of 2014), before I make any decisions on upgrading from my XP Professional Platform. I can only hope that their Marketing Statagists are paying attention to Forums like this and get on the ball and make things happen and put out Multiple Platforms at once instead of seperate ones...months apart not a year or so apart. Keep one up for more gaming and such and one more for GUI Home/Office Based users. I'd like to see Windows 95 brought back as windows 2015 with some better security measures installed into the platform. Oh, well, I can retro-dream...

so what does ps4 use exactly as far as direct x, and what does this mean as far as the potential performance difference between the two?

It doesn't use DirectX, Sony wouldn't license a Windows kernel. It will use some flavour of OpenGL like they always have.

Ho-hummm.....Swapping textures smoothly between system ram and graphics ram has been done successfully for years. Today it's nothing new or revolutionary, and calling it "tiled resources" is just calling it something else.

What makes DX (D3d, really) so widely used in comparison with other 3d APIs like OpenGL are the developer tools Microsoft has made available--they don't exist in close to the same format and power for other APIs as they do for D3d. I remember when I bought Vista--there I was running a DX9-only 3d-card and all of my DX9-specific games without any trouble at all in Vista and all I was hearing at the time was how I couldn't be doing that...;) People really get stuff confused.

Right now in my 8.1 Preview partition I installed and have been playing Rune for the last few nights with my 2GB HD 7850--and Rune is about 13 years old and a DX7-specific game and I swear it never looked better or played better than it does right now in my 8.1 Preview installation...;) Backwards compatibility is what gives Microsoft's OS versions their continuing worth.

For me I run win 8 on my gaming desktop attached to my TV and I love it. Very excited to upgrade to 8.1. I guess the rest of you will continue to write about the good ol' days, Linux, and how personally offended you are...

Gosh! Then you win! Enjoy your Packard Bell operating system.

iIf you switch to Linux for gaming, you're gonna have a bad time. Drivers suck, game support sucks, peripheral support sucks.

Yep... that's much like saying "screw driving because they put a speed limit on the road, I'm going to walk!" :p .

I love Win8, even more than I did Win7, and before that WinVista (by the time SP1 rolled around it was pretty much the same as Win7). It does amaze me to see people saying they'd rather not game at all, than upgrade their OS, as though it was some kind of personal attack on their sensibilities :rolleyes: . Welcome to the real world, it changes and progresses.

Pfft....young whipper snappers and their hip-new swipe-enabled OS.

OpenGL FTW! Game companies should switch back. I don't think MS is in the position anymore to keep bullying companies into using DirectX.

Gosh! Then you win! Enjoy your Packard Bell operating system.

Uh, you mean Windows 7 and Vista are "Packard Bell" too? Because Win8 functions and looks virtually identically to those versions as well, and you guys typically are already using those :confused: . The only difference is the start menu is a start screen, which you spend probably less than 0.01% of your computing time on anyway and arguably functions better regardless.

Right, because giving up quality gaming completely is the answer.
Microsoft has held back PC gaming by holding back DirectX so it wouldn't outstrip the xbox. Its quality gaming around where we should have been in 2006-7.

Fuck Microsoft's strangle hold on PC gaming. its the only way to no longer have the console albatross around PC gaming's neck.

MS has always operated like this. Doesn't make it right, but it's not at all surprising. Still, there's no real point of upgrading to Win8 for DX11.2 until ATI/nVidia release cards that support it anyway.

Personally I not planning on upgrading from my 680 any time soon.

I believe that MicroSoft knows Exactly what they are doing. Stretch out some updates and keep them just enough apart and build into every other update, or every third update things that people want and or need. Very Smart Marketing Strategy. As for me I won't be advancing to Widnows 8. I'm either wiating to see what comes out (beta version at the end of 2013, or the beginning of 2014), before I make any decisions on upgrading from my XP Professional Platform. I can only hope that their Marketing Statagists are paying attention to Forums like this and get on the ball and make things happen and put out Multiple Platforms at once instead of seperate ones...months apart not a year or so apart. Keep one up for more gaming and such and one more for GUI Home/Office Based users. I'd like to see Windows 95 brought back as windows 2015 with some better security measures installed into the platform. Oh, well, I can retro-dream...

My gosh man. Who are you and how did you get internet in that cave you're in??

The most interesting paragraph from the article:

"Designed to allow a game to use both system RAM and graphics RAM to store textures, Leblond claimed that tiled resources will enable DirectX 11.2 games to vastly improve the resolution of textures displayed in-game. By way of proof, Leblond showed off a demonstration that used a claimed 9GB of texture data - the majority of which was held in system RAM, rather than graphics RAM."

This will be of great interest to the video card forum, where some have been concerned about whether current video cards will suddenly become unusably obsolete if XBox One and PS4 games that use huge amounts of VRAM are released for the PC.

"Designed to allow a game to use both system RAM and graphics RAM to store textures, Leblond claimed that tiled resources will enable DirectX 11.2 games to vastly improve the resolution of textures displayed in-game. By way of proof, Leblond showed off a demonstration that used a claimed 9GB of texture data - the majority of which was held in system RAM, rather than graphics RAM."

This will be of great interest to the video card forum, where some have been concerned about whether current video cards will suddenly become unusably obsolete if XBox One and PS4 games that use huge amounts of VRAM are released for the PC.

Great point... I bet this treats the Xbox one large memory cache like it will GPU dram...

HAHHAHAHAHAAH, for fuck sakes really? This is the big thing about DX11.2, texture swapping?

The #1 killer of framerates in computer gaming is now a -FEATURE-?

Jesus christ microsoft, stop drinking the Xbone koolaid

Just like they made DX10 work on XP ::rolleyes:

Actually they did get it working on XP, though it required quite a bit of workaround. However there is one difference. Win 7 and Win 8 are built on the same Core, as such there is nothing Win 8 can do that Win 7 can't be made too. So thinking that DirectX won't be modified if it becomes worthwhile to work on 7 is a bit silly.

11.1 barely brought anything new to the table so I'm hoping 11.2 is the same...11.0 seems fine for most gamers

Big deal,games rarely use the latest DirectX,it takes years for them to change and the difference is minimal. Just another in a long line of desperate,no class moves by MS to try and force consumers to buy into their lousy products.

Back