Apple to Replace Samsung Chips in 2014

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
According to a report from the Wall Street Journal, the long rumored split between Samsung and Apple will be official in 2014. Apple will be switching its processor business to Taiwan Semiconductor from Samsung beginning sometime in 2014.

TSMC executives say that the company's chips will begin shipping in Apple's devices in 2014. However, Samsung will remain "the primary supplier through next year," meaning that the iPhone and iPad refreshes expected in the fall of 2013 will continue to use Samsung-manufactured SoCs.

I would jack those prices up if I could if I was Samsung.

Whats an extra $50 for that base level iPhone....:D

And then when that TSMC start making their own smartphones to compete with Apple, they will get sued too.

I don't generally trash Apple, but my biggest fear with this transition will be that it will be like the PowerPC to Intel transition. By using a large enough platform change, they can build the new iOS on these changes and thus render all the previous products "end of life".

Like the PPC to Intel, it would force everyone who wants to stay Apple to buy new products.

Okay. Got it.

Expect shortages of the ipad and iphone, and astronomical prices while Samsung sells at cost to further dig into Apple.

Every year the WSJ reports the same thing. Eventually they will get it right

They did that with the screens, and went back to Samsung, because they could meet quality and demand deadlines.

I don't generally trash Apple, but my biggest fear with this transition will be that it will be like the PowerPC to Intel transition. By using a large enough platform change, they can build the new iOS on these changes and thus render all the previous products "end of life".

Like the PPC to Intel, it would force everyone who wants to stay Apple to buy new products.

So the transition to Intel was a bad thing somehow? Right.

Oh, and the original iPhone and iPhone 3G have already lost support. Watch out!

Well, you really can't if you're under a supply contract. I'm sure they don't want to get sued again.

New devices need new parts which means new supply contracts. It's the new contracts in which Samsung would be sticking it to Apple.

New devices need new parts which means new supply contracts. It's the new contracts in which Samsung would be sticking it to Apple.

Oh, is their contract renewal with Samsung coming up soon?

Yea and my ipad2 64gig with 3G is next on the chopping block, least it will see iOS7 but I doubt very much if it will see 8 and higher.

I still use it everyday and use it much more than my pc now and I would be pissed off if it got dropped this soon, as I only got the thing in december 2011.

This isnt close to the same thing, samsung used to make the A5 and on, now TSMC will make the A5 and on. They arent buying different processors here.

Also since 99% of the phones are on arm based instructions, now apple plans to completely remove all of that?

The new samsung contract is almost up, sammy jacked up the prices following a multi-billion dollar suit filed against them by apple, probably to make up costs.

No one said they were dropping ARM. Anyone with a license can make those chips, and A4 through A6 series have been designed by Apple in house. Samsung was just the fab. Apple's probably is just ready to flip the switch as TSMC seems to be ready to do 20nm in volume ahead of schedule

Back