Risk-Glorifying Video Games Impact Real-World Behavior

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you have ever played Need For Speed, you are going to refuse medical care at some point and, as a result, you will die. Thanks video games. Thanks a lot. :(

“To the best of our knowledge,” the researchers write, “this is the first study showing the negative effects of risk-glorification in video games on actual health-related behavior.” What’s more, they add, the risk-is-good attitude is not “content-specific,” as it apparently slops over from its original context (driving) to an entirely different one (health checkups).

Last edited:
Sounds like if you play realistic racing games, your bullshit detector works better?

After playing Final Fight the other day I ate a giant roast from a trash can and almost died. Damn video games. Borderlands 2 taught me that I take no fall damage so I jumped from a cliff and broke both my ankles... damn you video games. Alright, got to go I'm out of money so I'm going to go punch people until they turn into coins.

If anything it gets that shit out of my system to some degree.

You are not a man if you do not feel attracted to risky behavior.

Sorry ass study.

Could easily have to do with impatience after just getting their adrenaline pumping considering you were asking them to wait and do nothing for 20 minutes.

Is this kind of like when you crash your bike at 100mph and don't want to go to the hospital? In fact, you bend the bars, tear off some shit, and try to finish the race?

It's pretty obvious that most of the research done makes it obvious that video games are bad for people. Smoking, eating heroine, and drinking energy drinks are bad too, but people still do all that stuff in backwards parts of the world that don't know any better. Trying to tell a person who is addicted to video games that it's bad is just a good way to hear the usual "crap study" or "it makes me have less stress and better coordination" arguments that addicts always use. If you want to fix the problem, just make a regulatory review board to ban the things that are unhealthy for people to do and then it's no big deal.

After playing Final Fight the other day I ate a giant roast from a trash can and almost died. Damn video games. Borderlands 2 taught me that I take no fall damage so I jumped from a cliff and broke both my ankles... damn you video games. Alright, got to go I'm out of money so I'm going to go punch people until they turn into coins.

Damn guy, sucks being you. I down pizza left and right, even ones in the sewer, doesn't bother me any.:D

What's good is that someone got paid for this study. If it wasn't for video games, that guy wouldn't have had a job :)

Yeah because I crash a car in a game, that must mean I can do the same thing in real life, right?

Where's a voice-dubbed over of the famous 'Rosebud...Rosebud' scene with the worlds 'Health pot...healtthhh pot'

It's pretty obvious that most of the research done makes it obvious that video games are bad for people. Smoking, eating heroine, and drinking energy drinks are bad too, but people still do all that stuff in backwards parts of the world that don't know any better. Trying to tell a person who is addicted to video games that it's bad is just a good way to hear the usual "crap study" or "it makes me have less stress and better coordination" arguments that addicts always use. If you want to fix the problem, just make a regulatory review board to ban the things that are unhealthy for people to do and then it's no big deal.

You know. I'm going to start reporting you every time you clearly troll post. It's getting a little silly and the only one who looks like an idiot, is you. There can be only two reasons why you post the things you do. One would be because you actually believe it. In which case, you don't belong here. Or, you are trolling for licks because you are a pyshopath. In which case, you still don't belong here. I don't really care.

Door>>>>>

You know. I'm going to start reporting you every time you clearly troll post. It's getting a little silly and the only one who looks like an idiot, is you. There can be only two reasons why you post the things you do. One would be because you actually believe it. In which case, you don't belong here. Or, you are trolling for licks because you are a pyshopath. In which case, you still don't belong here. I don't really care.

Door>>>>>

Is that the same guy that was SkribbleKat or SkrillexCats or something? If so I think he's pretty funny. Especially when he's goofin on people about their fiat money rage.

A regulatory ban on energy drinks. You realize his posts are laden with a weird sort of sarcasm, right? It's a light touch but it's better than the LOLDICKS that usually passes for humor here.

Yeah because I crash a car in a game, that must mean I can do the same thing in real life, right?

Not that it's video game's fault, but there are people out there who believe they can drive like a manic in real life the same way they do in Need For Speed. I happen to know one such person.

People are just dumb.

A pretty small sample size and a highly dubious conclusion. I hardly consider not wanting to waste 20 minutes on an impromptu check for a unnamed and RARE disorder that one has zero reason to think they might have to be "risky". I can't even charitably call that junk science.

Great experiment to conduct. Im sure they just got the cream of the crop to sign up for this shit. Right up there with gallop polls, fucking useless unless it paints the picture YOU want.

Statistics... We can fix anything, its all in the delivery.

Steve,
I know you need/want traffic but you're starting to take it a little bit too far with this click-bait trash.

Not that it's video game's fault, but there are people out there who believe they can drive like a manic in real life the same way they do in Need For Speed. I happen to know one such person.

People are just dumb.

Sounds to me, the fact that people are just dumb, is the real problem.

Is it video games? Or is it the unbelievably high price of healthcare in the UnitedStates?

Hmm I'd say its the unreachable cost of healthcare for many people.

Is that the same guy that was SkribbleKat or SkrillexCats or something? If so I think he's pretty funny. Especially when he's goofin on people about their fiat money rage.

A regulatory ban on energy drinks. You realize his posts are laden with a weird sort of sarcasm, right? It's a light touch but it's better than the LOLDICKS that usually passes for humor here.

Wait, I had to think about your post for a second, but it all makes sense now..I was wondering where S.K. had gone, and you just put all the pieces together!..

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Back