Sony Cut The PS4 Camera to Beat Microsoft on Price

HardOCP News

[H] News
IGN claims that Sony beat the Xbox One on price by dropping the camera from the console bundle.

According to multiple sources, in the months leading up to E3, Sony nixed plans to include the camera add-on with every system and shave $100 off its originally planned price of $499. Most importantly, it did so quietly, informing its retail partners only of the removal of the camera, not specifying the lower price so as not to tip its hand to Microsoft. But in its efforts to undercut the Xbox One, Sony has damned the accessory to a future of fragmented consumer adoption and inconsistent software support.

It's only a $59.99 camera. I don't see how it cut $100 off? I preordered the camera anyways though.

Fortunately no one cares about the Kinect crap; that is no one but advertisers and the NSA.

Does any of the old hardware work on PS4? PS controllers/move? From this PS4 buyer I really don't care for Kinect or a camera on my gaming console anyways.

I'm never going to use the camera anyways. Good on Sony for realizing that not everyone will.

If the Wiimote, Kinect 1.0 or PS Move are any indication of the games it would have brought to the platform I could care less and am happy they nixed it.

That camera isn't worth the 100$ so that is a nice deal for the price drop. Smart move by Sony but from what i read the move controllers will work with the PS4 camera. Though the functionality is dated because the kinect doesn't require a controller to use it. Thats the only thing it has on Sony, i don't like the idea that the new Kinect can read your vitals and such, thats just creepy to me.

It's only a $59.99 camera. I don't see how it cut $100 off? I preordered the camera anyways though.

And probably only costs Sony $8 per unit...

I don't buy this as a reason why Sony was able to offer a lower price vs the XBone. Both manufacturers are taking a loss with each device sold hoping to make it up on the back-end with licensed software and accessories, right? So then, how the hell does one cheap camera make that much difference? It doesn't...Sony is likely just willing to take, and probably is taking, a bigger loss on the core hardware.

I actually like playing games like Just Dance (with the GF of course... I don't own any consoles :p) with the kinect, and tracking vitals for better energy expenditure ratings, for example, is actually kinda cool to me. Oh gnoes. Xbox knows my heart rate. Big deal. We have the NSA reading all our emails, texts and phone transcripts. Google reading our emails and such.

I couldn't really care less if Xbox senses that Viva Pinata 4 really gets my blood flowing.

Having said that, I don't mind the 100$ price drop one bit. If only we could get some non SUPER KAWAII DESU DESU DESU NAAAY j-rpg games out for the PS4, I'd be a happy camper :)

This may be the first generation of consoles I invest in, since the PS2.

Good move on Sony's part. I wouldn't want to pay for something i'm not going to use.

Especially since it doesn't cost nearly $59.99 to produce. Unless it's some super-duper camera, you can get 1080p sensors of good quality for relatively cheap.

That camera isn't worth the 100$ so that is a nice deal for the price drop. Smart move by Sony but from what i read the move controllers will work with the PS4 camera. Though the functionality is dated because the kinect doesn't require a controller to use it. Thats the only thing it has on Sony, i don't like the idea that the new Kinect can read your vitals and such, thats just creepy to me.

Any quality video camera can read your pulse, all it needs to do is detect a slight change in the colour of your skin from when the blood pumps in and out.

Dated? Because precise control input when wanted instead of relying on waving your arms around is "dated"?

Lets take a look at how far MS advanced game input methods with kinect so far... oh wait they haven't.

Sony, in a cost cutting measure, has seemingly unintentionally seperated their console even more from the Xbox One. Although it means some of the features on the PS4 controller won't work out of the box, it's probably for the best for the average user.

It's a good move from Sony. I have the old eye and move system and other than sports champions and the other time crisis games, I really didn't need it. The Kill Zone game that used it was ok, after you get use to it you can see how it could grow on you, but every time it went out of sync (and it did it a lot for me) I had to recalibrate, I just stopped using it and went back to the vanilla controller in the end. I still would rather they let people plug in a USB keyboard and mouse than the move controller for FPS games.

No one-handed or split two-handed controller hurts what can be done with the Kinect.

If the camera was $99.99 then maybe the article would have a point. As it stands, the camera is $59.99.

Stupid article and stupid argument.

Actually, the newer Kinect system is rather well build and well designed. I have no use for it in the gaming sense, but it is a pretty cool tool. I'd never buy an xbox to get one, but wouldn't mind one on my PC.

Lol the eye is cheap because it's nothing more then a webcam, at least the kinect is a bit more then that and now that it's min range is 3 feet it probably works a ton better in rooms.

And had their camera been mandatory, I wouldn't be buying a ps4 either. Hopefully Microsoft gets the hint and removes the damn spy cam.

consoles are useless.....

See what i did their?

Everyone has a different opinion, some like the cameras, some dont.. Easy Peasy.. Either way Ill stick with my original sentence..

Consoles are worthless..

:D

Fortunately no one cares about the Kinect crap; that is no one but advertisers and the NSA.

I will disagree with that. I dont use my XBOX for anything but Rocksmith now (my kids still use it) but the new rocksmith will make use of kinect to navigate menus, etc.

Currently, without the kinect, navigating in Rocksmith is a huge pain in the ass with a controller when you are holding a damn guitar.

Who care if they didn't Bundle.

Microsoft took the gamble rolled the dice and ended up with snakeyes.
Like the other reversal.
Microsoft still has time to make a "NO KINNECT" bundle. They are just trying to shove kinect down everyone's throat. What they didn't figure is the demand for the new systems isn't large enough for people to just dump money blindly. And that previous kinect sales weren't always tied to XBOX users either.

So they went big and now they have to go home.

would be interesting if kinect could tell if you were having a heart attack and called 911 for you lol.

Xbone has detected that your are sitting down and your blood pressure is elevated and having a right arm seizure. Opening emergency skype video session with closest relative. Calling Mom.

Kinect was supposed to be a game changer on the Xbox One like Nintendo said the Wii Motion crap was, and PS3 move. To me all of them were just gimmicks. Kinect had 1 or 2 cool games but that was it. Wii's controls were wonky as it's setup just really didn't work all that great, the Move worked but had the silly looking controller. None of them really added anything real to games, at least not for me. If I was drunk the Wii games were somewhat fun but that was about it.

I will disagree with that. I dont use my XBOX for anything but Rocksmith now (my kids still use it) but the new rocksmith will make use of kinect to navigate menus, etc.

Currently, without the kinect, navigating in Rocksmith is a huge pain in the ass with a controller when you are holding a damn guitar.

When I first read this post I read the game as "Cocksmith" and thought to myself "I REALLY want to play this game!" But then i re-read your post and I'm less excited.

Waiting patiently for all those Kinect 2.0 games that were demo'd at E3 :rolleyes:

Dated? Because precise control input when wanted instead of relying on waving your arms around is "dated"?

Lets take a look at how far MS advanced game input methods with kinect so far... oh wait they haven't.

I'd say you are wrong on that. I'd say advancing a dancing game to do more then hitting squares on the floor is something. Workout games(if you can call them that) seem to be better with it vs older systems as well.

You have a good amount of companies trying to copy it as well. Look at the tv's that have simular setups. Most of them are doing it more for apps and not games but still.

With MS putting it in every box I see more stuff being made to use it. With the higher accuracy of this one it has some great potential. I'm waiting for the lip's games to support it and integrate dancing. I know a lot of females that will want it for that.

Sounds good to me. They gave the consumer (me) what they wanted, a lower price and the option to add a camera later if I want it. Personally I have no further interest in "motion based gaming". Glad they made it optional. $60 to add it later isn't that big of a deal in my opinion for those that want it.

Good I won't have to have something left in the box that I'll never use. Too bad ms is not giving us this option. I wonder how long it will be till they drop the requirement and release a budget bundle with out kinect.

Back