LG27EA83R-D mini-review

Silverfox1

Limp Gawd
After several months of purchasing, testing, & of course returning various 2560 x 1440p displays i was down to only the VP2770 if this new LG did not pan out. I could not find any extensive reviews on this new LG R version so decided to test it out.

I received the LG27EA83R-D few days ago and it is definitely a keeper IMO. No dead pixels, no banding, no tinting, no cross hatching, no BLB, and i do NOT notice any effects from the PWM at any level of brightness settings. This display is excellent for photographers, editing, & applications. I did not need the wide gamut Adobe version.

I did not like the factory calibrated SRGB presets so simply used the Custom 6 color palette which allows the user to adjust both saturation & hue on 6 various colors. And of course turned the brightness down to 33%. This thing is bright. Tilt & height adjustments are very smooth. Touch sensitive controls very responsive and OSD very easy to pan through and adjust.

Still have 27 days left to decide if its a definite keeper for sure, but so far i am really impressed after all the previous displays i have tested and exhausting research on the various forums.

http://www.lg.com/us/commercial/lcd-computer-monitors/lg-27EA83R-D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...C-062013-Index-_-LCDMonitors-_-24005494-L011B

Few pics below from wallpaper.com displayed on monitor taken with a 60D at f2.8, ISO400, no-flash:

Regards, :)

Last edited:
I'm trying to find reviews mentioning this monitor, especially for use as a gaming monitor. I'm not a competitive gamer, just want to get a monitor that doesn't have any ghosting, etc.

Any chance I could get more of your opinion? I mostly do office work but I do game on the side, so something with a good picture quality that I can use for gaming on the side would be perfect.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm trying to find reviews mentioning this monitor, especially for use as a gaming monitor. I'm not a competitive gamer, just want to get a monitor that doesn't have any ghosting, etc.

Any chance I could get more of your opinion? I mostly do office work but I do game on the side, so something with a good picture quality that I can use for gaming on the side would be perfect.

Thanks for sharing!

You can read the review article on the wide gamut D version below which is essentially the same in regards to lag times and the ability to OC the refresh rate. I dont do any gaming and when i do click on the Nvidia control panel it does have only the option for 60HZ. Other folks probably know what additional software or tweaks need to be added in order to increase the refresh rate as the below review indicates they had no problem increasing to 99 Hz with the D version. The article below indicates they used the EVGA new pixel clock utility software app to increase the refresh rate to 99Hz with no problems and did not mention any ghosting.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2013/03/lg-27ea83-d-27-inch-colorprime-ips-led-wqhd-monitor-review.html

EVGA Pixel Clock Utility & You Tube video on how to use it to increase the refresh rate of your monitor:

http://www.evga.com/precision/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1QVlStM-_U

I am fixing to upgrade to the GTX 770 although the current 560ti runs this monitor just fine for my needs. However the grandkids do come over and like to play some not to intensive titles but going to 1440p does probably require a better single vid card to acquire at least 30-40 fps.

http://www.hwcompare.com/14660/geforce-gtx-560-ti-vs-geforce-gtx-770/

My PC specs:

Case: CM Storm Enforcer Midtower/ USB3.0
CPU : i7-2600K
Mobo: Intel DZ68BC Extreme
Ram : Corsair Vengeance pc1600/ 16gb
Video: EVGA Nvidia GTX 560ti
HDD: SSD 120GB Intel 520 series & 1.5 TB WD Caviar Black
Pwr.Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650watt Gold Rated 80+
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO

Fans: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 120mm rear exhaust
NZXT Sentry Mesh 5.25 Bay Fan controller

ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X DVD Burner

LG WH12LS30K 12X Bluray Burner/Player

AFT USB 3.0 Multi-Card reader 5.25 Bay

Monitor : LG 27EA83R-D 2560 x 1440p

Last edited:
oops, i think is the "R"...fucking brazil, you never know whats going on, its always a mystery! well, i'll find out monday :p

Wow! I'd not considered this LG until seeing your review. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a glossy QNIX for $350, so $800 is a lot more than I want to spend. Still, the LG is very impressive.

Damn, now I gotta figure out what to buy all over again.

Bastard! :p

This screen also has a very low PWM frequency of 130 Hz! which means eyestrain is very likely for a lot of people.

Also, my copy had a huge glow/bleed on the lower right corner and I find it a bit suspicious that the OP's camera angle is skewed towards the right of the screen in a way that would hide the glow very effectively.

This screen is not recommended at all.

Wow! I'd not considered this LG until seeing your review. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a glossy QNIX for $350, so $800 is a lot more than I want to spend. Still, the LG is very impressive.

Damn, now I gotta figure out what to buy all over again.

Bastard! :p

TBH i was almost on the verge of giving up on finding a 1440p monitor for under $800 that was not plagued with the usual complaints. Luckily i got this LG last week when Newegg was running a special along with a $50 promo code which brought the price down to $649 with free shipping and no sales tax. This monitor is really as nice as i have mentioned in the review and i assume was sort of a sleeper since i still have not read any extensive reviews. Anyways i have decided to keep this one and purchase one of the new GTX 770 4GB cards when they are released next month to help the kids drive this 1440p monitor with some of the more intense games that will be released later this year & next. This screen definitely makes the photos from my Canon 5D3 & 60D pop & is great for editing applications.

This screen also has a very low PWM frequency of 130 Hz! which means eyestrain is very likely for a lot of people.

Also, my copy had a huge glow/bleed on the lower right corner and I find it a bit suspicious that the OP's camera angle is skewed towards the right of the screen in a way that would hide the glow very effectively.

This screen is not recommended at all.

Knowing this monitor utilized PWM that was the 1st thing i checked for at 10 different brightness levels and noticed no flickering that some folks are able to notice. I am running it presently at 33% brightness. As far as camera angles i will gladly take further photos to show no extreme bleed in any quadrant of the screen when viewing a dark background. As with most all IPS panels you will notice a glow at extreme angles but this one has no BLB anywhere like i have seen on most of the other monitors in this price range without mentioning brands that harbor obvious QC production line issues.

Trust me after all the monitors i have purchased and returned over the last several months i would have gladly returned this one also, leaving only the VP2770 for me to test out. The top of the line Eizo`s were out of my budget.

^ I'm glad you got a decent copy but mine was unfortunately not a good one. Having already tried 16 WQHD screens in total much like you I gave up and have settled for a ZR2440W as my primary screen for now along with a U2312HM as a second monitor.

May try this one again if it goes on sale on newegg but I wouldn't get my hopes high.

Do you happen to have a list of all the monitors you tried before this one?

All of the ones i tried were 27" 2560 x 1440p.

Several of the Korean E-bay displays both matte & semi-glossy.

The Auria from Microcenter

The Monoprice

The Asus PB278Q

The Dell U2713HM

Bear in mind there are many folks that like the ones i listed but the units above i received did not suit me personally for a variety of reasons, the same way this LG may not fit another persons criteria. Its all subjective until you take the time & patience to try yourself.

Seems like just about all of these IPS & PLS panels with or without PWM dimming had some or more of the common abnormalities you hear & read folks complain about & a few had dead pixels. By no means am i stating this LG is perfect but at least the one i received is the one most satisfying to me personally. Alot of folks like the Viewsonic VP2770 and that was the last one i was going to try if this LG was not a keeper.

Anyways if anyone is interested and does order this LG to simply test out i will be happy to forward in a pm all the parameter & color settings i am currently using. Although no two monitors just like no two eyes are exactly the same.

Just remember to order and test out whichever monitor you desire from a reputable seller with a decent return policy window so you dont have to deal directly with the manufacturers and get sent a refurbished display like many of them send the consumer even after only 30 days.

..and its an "R"! ZERO dead pixels, NO backlight bleeding, done (lucky sonofabish :p). im all fucking happy.

im fiddling with the settings.. hey yo! Silverfox1! what settings youre using bro? pm me if for some reason you dont wanna post here

Last edited:
oh yeah, hate the fucking stand, need to find something else :p

I forwarded you some settings to try that i personally use. Might not be to your eyeball tastes but let me know.

I agree the stand is not very appealing but it definitely adheres to your desk and will not budge or slide without using some force. Of course i dont buy monitors based on Aesthetics but i guess some folks do.

I forwarded you some settings to try that i personally use. Might not be to your eyeball tastes but let me know.

I agree the stand is not very appealing but it definitely adheres to your desk and will not budge or slide without using some force. Of course i dont buy monitors based on Aesthetics but i guess some folks do.

my desk is made of glass and it definitely doesnt adhere (i also find it big and ugly :p). saw your pm, thanks, will toy with it later and reply to you what i find :)

My desk is made of wood with a fairly slick surface and i have to practically pick the monitor up to slide it.

Pretty sure your aware of the below site but after you tweak your settings to an acceptable IQ, visit this site for some nice 2560 x 1440p & even higher resolution photos for wallpapers to further test your monitor settings out visually.

http://wallpaperswide.com/

Back