Hacked Sites Far Worse Than Attack Sites

HardOCP News

[H] News
The latest Transparency Report from Google says that compromised legit sites are far worse than intentionally dangerous sites.

Dramatically worse is the problem of compromised sites, Web sites that are supposed to be legitimately safe but that have been hacked to infect visitors. During the week of June 9, Google tallied 39,247 hacked sites, down from more than 60,000 last July and more than 76,000 in June 2009.

Last edited:
I assume thats because more people are aware and know to stay away from attack sites (or at least their security software knows to) vs a trusted site that gets hacked and malware installed.

This is the biggest source of infections I have to deal with in the office.

Mostly it's web sites for small companies. The sales rep will go to the potential customers web site to check out the company, and they either get a warning from our AV software, or one of those fake AV messages will pop-up.

3rd-party advertisement frames are another big part of this. Got an attempted Java browser plugin malware (my plugin is disabled) on a major tech news site (not [H]) just recently. I reported it, and they got back to me within minutes.. pretty impressive response time.

I've been trying to tell people this for years. Still not going to stop people from saying they don't need antivirus because they don't visit sketchy sites.

Back