Recommendation For Four New Monitors

xavierq

Gawd
I'm looking to buy four new monitors for my desktop setup (which currently only has one, somewhat old monitor I'm looking to replace). I'm not looking to game across all four or anything crazy, I don't have Eyefinity.

I'm thinking two monitors stacked vertically with a portrait on either side portrait. I don't care if they make a perfect square or anything. One I will use for gaming (FPS, MMO, Diablo 3, MOBA, I play a range of stuff). One I will use for movies (if one monitor does both those tasks well, that's fine). The other two will be used for web browsing and coding (I'm a developer).

The two main ones will run off a GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448, the other two off the onboard Sandybridge ports on a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H.

The main monitor I care the most about obviously. The others I'd like to be somewhat less expensive, since they'll be doing lighter duty so I think I can get away with spending less. Obviously I don't want crap either, though. I have some money to spend on this, but don't want to spend more than I have to either.

I've read the sticky and several posts in the forum, so I'm familiar with the technologies, but I'm still not clear on exactly what the right way to go would be, or which monitors will lend themselves best to these tasks. I'm assuming most decent monitors come with the ports I'd need to achieve this with the setup I have, but I could be wrong.

The portrait monitors should be MVA or IPS due to their better viewing angles. Since you won't be gaming on the portraits MVA is viable and cheaper than IPS. I'm using MVA on my upper secondary monitors and they look great, no problems at all. For the gaming monitor it's a matter of personal preference, a fast TN with low input lag may be more desirable.

Are you upgrading your video card anytime soon? If not, you don't want to go over 1080p 60Hz if you like eyecandy. How sensitive are you to PPI? You should be looking at 24"-27" 1080p unless you like your PPI to be 100 or higher, which is 22".

Your proposed layout is a bit like a PLP, so you might want to consider getting 4x24" 1080p monitors to give you maximum flexibility in monitor layout - for example, you may prefer to convert to an inverted T if you find the portrait monitors too narrow (although generally speaking 1080 across is wide enough for most applications). If the monitors you get have rotating stands you then only need one dual vertical monitor mount to do either your PLP or an inverted T.

If you are going to upgrade the video card, you might want to check out Eyefinity/nVSurround, it's really hard to go back to one monitor after using such a setup. Even a 30" seems small after triple Eyefinity on 22"-24" monitors, let alone 5x1 portrait.

I'm able to run everything I want, so I don't foresee upgrading the card unless something awesome comes out that I can't play.

At least one if not both of the portrait monitors will have code on them, so having them be tall is much more important than wide (I run a dual monitor setup at work, and one is portrait for exactly that reason). I think all four will end up on a wall mount with an arm, though, so I should be able to reconfigure reasonably well (I just have to figure out how to mount the arms. I've got metal studs, so I may have to do some nonsense with blocking the wall, which is a pain, unless I can somehow mount them all to the desk...)

I was never a fan of the bezel lines between screens.

Yes, it is October 10, 2013.

What is the news?

Back