No Price Drop for the PS3 After PS4 Launch

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you were planning on picking up the PS3 after the PS4 launches at a substantial discount, forget it. Sony has announced that it will not be reducing the price of the PS3 for the foreseeable future.

The PS3 also remains a great option as an albeit expensive entertainment device as it plays Blu-rays and can be used as a streaming device alongside being a games machine. So in that sense it still has a lot of value on offer.

Its going to drop after the PS4 arrives, all companys do this when releasing a new product. Otherwise their PS3s would stagnate on the shelves.

Why should they ... they want to win the PS4 vs XBoxOne race ... not go back and win the PS3 v XBox360 race ... since they are not backwards compatible on the PS4 they want to encourage people to switch over their Gaiku system for legacy games ... they should keep PS3 prices high to make maximum profit from those people who absolutely need the older generation ;)

They still want to sell PS3s right now, so why tell everyone they could save $100 if they wait a few months?

They aren't going to tell you they will drop the price but they will eventually. If you waited 7 years, then just keep waiting. It will go down at some point

I tell you what. I bought my PS3 used (40gb launch model) and am currently playing The Last of Us... amazing game. Hope to pick up a few more games there were exclusives for sony.

It's pretty simple; if you don't want people to buy the old system when you release a new one then you don't discount the old one. That way folks will consider which is a better deal, spending hundreds on an obsolete system or just paying a little extra for a new one.

I read the PS4 is going to offer all of the old Play Station games(PS1,2, & 3) as digital downloads. Not at release though.

Pretty cool.:)

I read the PS4 is going to offer all of the old Play Station games(PS1,2, & 3) as digital downloads. Not at release though.

Pretty cool.:)

But paying for games I already own sounds retarded. If you have a ps3 then keep it. If you have a lot of ps3 games and no ps3 for,some reason (like I do) then buying a ps3 might be more reasonable than buying all your games over again as digital downloads for the ps4.

Its going to drop after the PS4 arrives, all companys do this when releasing a new product. Otherwise their PS3s would stagnate on the shelves.

The only reason to do this would be if they had lots of inventory sitting around. If their pipeline is shallow, they would likely rather present and incentive to buying into ps4, namely that it is only $99 more.

I tell you what. I bought my PS3 used (40gb launch model) and am currently playing The Last of Us... amazing game. Hope to pick up a few more games there were exclusives for sony.

Since when was there a 40gb "launch" model? I still have my launch model and at that time it was either 20gb or 60gb.

Back