FAA to OK Gate-to-Gate Use of Personal Electronic Devices

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s been under discussion for some time now and now coming down to the wire on implementation: the FAA is almost ready to allow the unrestricted use of personal electronic devices on flights. This unfortunately will not include cellphone usage or Internet connections. Final recommendations are expected to be made sometime in September.

The agency said in a statement on Friday that the deadline has been extended to September, because committee members asked for extra time to finish assessing whether it's safe to lift restrictions.

I don't care about *talking* on my cell phone, but if I put it in airplane mode to listen to music on take off, I don't want to be hassled. Not that I ever am, anyway. I'll tuck my phone in my pocket and be obviously wearing my IEMs, and the stewardesses never bother me.

I don't care about *talking* on my cell phone, but if I put it in airplane mode to listen to music on take off, I don't want to be hassled. Not that I ever am, anyway. I'll tuck my phone in my pocket and be obviously wearing my IEMs, and the stewardesses never bother me.

Not sure if you mean in flight or during take off and landing. If it's the former, I've never had them bug me for using my phone in airplane mode.

If it's the latter, I generally wear ear protectors over my IEMs (cuts out more engine noise) and hiding my DAP virtually ensures they'll leave me alone even during take off and landing.

Back