PS3 Update Planned to Fix v4.45 Update

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are one of the unlucky ones trying to play your PS3 brick after installing last week’s update, Sony will be issuing a fix on Thursday. The errant update was pulled as soon as the problem surfaced, but a few unlucky owners were affected by the update resulting in a non-playable console.

While we’re glad to see Sony finally remedying the issue, some gamers still many not appreciate the nine day turnaround that it’ll take to get the fix out.

My friend had to format his drive he had put a 650gig western digital drive in his 60gig launch ps3. I missed the update on mine

Huh. Hadn't heard of it until now. I have self installed 750gb HDD in there and have turned the system on and off a number of times over the last couple days without issue. Guess I dodged the bullet?

Huh. Hadn't heard of it until now. I have self installed 750gb HDD in there and have turned the system on and off a number of times over the last couple days without issue. Guess I dodged the bullet?

Did you do a system update to get the 4.45 update. If you on 4.41 you dont have the update if your on 4.45 you squeaked by it is something that it either does or doesn't and what it does is corrupt the hard drive.

It can happen if you have a upgraded drive or if you have a drive connected via usb when you apply the update it corrupts the drive or corrupts the install either way the fix is to format the drive. Or apply a firmware update in the recovery console.

It's running 4.45 - manually updated rather than automatic. One of the earliest Slim models. I remember doing the update and it still shows up that way under system info. I did some googling out of a mix of curiosity and apprehension and reports are all over the map. Saw several guys with 750gb drives having no issues, but a couple that did have trouble.

Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if it's an interaction between specific PS3 models and upgraded drives or perhaps an issue relating to the drive specifications some folks are using. I'd love to know what the actual cause ends up being.

Back