Microsoft Debuts Office Mobile for iPhone

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
After a year long wait, Microsoft announced it would be bringing its Office Suite to iOS and Android, half of that promise has been fulfilled. Mobile Office for iOS is now available for download from the iOS App Store. Microsoft announced that Office Mobile will be an extension of Office 365 and will be free to subscribers. Presently there will be no stand-alone versions for the iPhone.
The downside is that for the time being, Microsoft is not making Office Mobile for iPhone available for a one-time fee. This means if you’re not an Office 365 subscriber, you’re not using Office Mobile for iPhone

Got the notice in Office 365 Facebook page the day of launch. Nice little app, but it needs OneNote integrated into it. At the moment OneNote is a separate app and a poorly implemented one at that.

Curious to see where this ends up in the sales charts relative to the iWork apps.

I'm not sure who would want to use this. It's great as a freebie to O365 subscribers, but I don't think anyone will become a subscriber just to use it. There are many alternatives, which work offline and are optimized for tablet resolutions.

Too bad Metro sucks so badly, and tablet hardware at non-delusional price points are set to appear soon. If many come with Office Home and Student, like the Acer W3-810 does, I can't imagine why anyone would want to use a gimped web or Metro version of Office.

Too bad Metro sucks so badly, and tablet hardware at non-delusional price points are set to appear soon. If many come with Office Home and Student, like the Acer W3-810 does, I can't imagine why anyone would want to use a gimped web or Metro version of Office.

I think a Metro version of Office would very well serve the same purpose that any tablet or light weight Office suite serves, tablet capability and simplicity when wanted and needed but 100% file compatibility with Office on the desktop. Office 2013 does work ok with touch, Word and PowerPoint are pretty good. OneNote is perhaps the finest example of a desktop app that works very well with touch and is excellent when a pen is added. Excel and Outlook are passable with touch, Access, Visio, Project, not really touch friendly at all.

I'm not sure who would want to use this. It's great as a freebie to O365 subscribers, but I don't think anyone will become a subscriber just to use it. There are many alternatives, which work offline and are optimized for tablet resolutions.

pretty much this. If you already happen to be using the service, then it's okay I guess.... but there are better options out there for iOS. MS, once again, is late to the party.

If this were a standalone suite it would probably do pretty well.

You're thinking backwards. You don't get the app and think "I should subscribe for Office 365 since I got the app." It's more like "I (or my company) uses Office 365 and it's great to finally be able to edit documents from my phone through a unified Office 365 app!"

My company uses Office 365 Enterprise E3 and this app works nicely with it.

It'd be nice to simply have a mobile suite for standalone users.

It'd be nice to simply have a mobile suite for standalone users.

For the last several years I've been using QuickOffice Pro and QuickOffice Pro HD on my iPhone and iPad. It has Powerpoint, spreadsheet and Word document support and can sync with cloud services such as Dropbox and Skydrive as well as manipulate files locally and from email. QuickOffice also has a wi-fi feature that lets you copy documents from your PC to your phone through your web browser.

Back