At E3, Sexism Still An Issue

HardOCP News

[H] News
Men make games, men are bastards, men are ruining the industry, so on and so forth.

One look at the crowded halls of the Los Angeles Convention Center this past week, and it was easy to see that most attendees of the Electronic Entertainment Expo were men. Yes, plenty of women were at E3, which wrapped up on Thursday. But some were there as so-called "booth babes" — female models hired to hype products and attract attendees to exhibitors' displays on the show floor.

lmao.

An industry PREDOMINANTLY used, played, made by men has an expo that has mostly men attending.

Fucking idiots..

As a male automotive enthusiast, I'm appalled that the women's handbag industry fails to cater to my interests.

I'd rather worry about real issues, like women not being paid as well as men in certain fields.

If the women working at E3 felt strongly enough about being underrepresented, they would not do the job. If women gamers were worried about it, more would attend.

As a male automotive enthusiast, I'm appalled that the women's handbag industry fails to cater to my interests.

There's definitely a bit of crossover.

I've heard that if you buy a VW or an Audi... you can suddenly go from being a male automotive enthusiast to being a genderless handbag-with-wheels driver.

Pretty much.

"The presence of scantily clad women hawking games and gizmos seemed in particular contrast to a report released this week by the Entertainment Software Association, which organizes the gaming industry's annual trade show. It found that 45 percent of the entire gaming population is now women, and women make up 46 percent of the most frequent game buyers."

I didn't conduct the survey, but I find that way too high.

Pretty much.

"The presence of scantily clad women hawking games and gizmos seemed in particular contrast to a report released this week by the Entertainment Software Association, which organizes the gaming industry's annual trade show. It found that 45 percent of the entire gaming population is now women, and women make up 46 percent of the most frequent game buyers."

Includes facebook and mobile "games". Play Angry Birds 15min a day during lunch break? "Gamer".

I suppose they'd be happier if the booth babes just went back to stripping then?

They are wearing way more cloths then the girls at the beach, Do E3 nerds get upset at the beach? This PC Politically Correct BS is killing this country.

sexism is pretty annoying, but even more so is retardism

Includes facebook and mobile "games". Play Angry Birds 15min a day during lunch break? "Gamer".

Yup. Strip out all of the Candy Crush Saga, Words With Friends, Bejeweled Blitz, Angry Birds, etc. players and I think the results would shift a bit.

Yup. Strip out all of the Candy Crush Saga, Words With Friends, Bejeweled Blitz, Angry Birds, etc. players and I think the results would shift a bit.

Plus, TFA did mention two companies that had "booth bros", so I'd say based on the demographics of E3, there was probably equal representation percentage-wise.

2013-06-14_12-42-11.png

Holy shit, ease up with the male bashing. Women won't be happy until the men are completely miserable. If guys create hobbies for themselves to enjoy, women automatically think they are being discriminated against. See the picture of the E3 washroom line up? All guys waiting to drain the snake while the women's washroom was completely abandoned. If women are not interested enough to go to these events, stop bitching about it and making problems out of nothing.

You don't see guys snarking on women's book clubs and high (priced) tea with mini sandwiches for $50 bucks a person.

Holy shit, ease up with the male bashing. Women won't be happy until the men are completely miserable. If guys create hobbies for themselves to enjoy, women automatically think they are being discriminated against. See the picture of the E3 washroom line up? All guys waiting to drain the snake while the women's washroom was completely abandoned. If women are not interested enough to go to these events, stop bitching about it and making problems out of nothing.

You don't see guys snarking on women's book clubs and high (priced) tea with mini sandwiches for $50 bucks a person.

That was WWDC

Don't ya just love feminists. :rolleyes:

Went to CES in 2010 and they had hired strippers for booth babes. Good times.

This kind of shit really pisses me off. There are models used for all kinds of marketing. There was nothing wrong with the 'Booth Babe' concept. Yes, they were there to appeal to MEN... THE TARGET MARKET.

People who had a problem with that are some of the most short sighted, stupid, and dense minds I have ever encountered.

That's my rant.

Put some dudes in banana hammocks or something then, jesus. Whine whine whine.

sexism? we're not only not saying we're better than you. We're saying you're better than us at being hot and sexy.

Pretty much.

They are counting phone/tablet 'gamers'.

Yes, when are women going to stop being used to sell all products to men across the globe. Just horrible. Poor men. Never stood a chance ;)

Yes, when are women going to stop being used to sell all products to men across the globe. Just horrible. Poor men. Never stood a chance ;)

During a trip to Europe I recall an advert on the TV featuring a nice pair of naked boobs and an ice cube. The ad was for an air conditioner. If half and fully naked women didn't move product no one would use them. For all the overly PC whining about sexism I note that none of the companies that use booth babes at E3 or other conventions are being financially punished for the practice.

Why are they not bitching at the booth "babes" who took the jobs in the first place? Also, I guarantee if there were more men working the booths/whatever else, there would be bitching that they're excluding women and keeping it a male-dominated event. It's amazing how much this victim mentality is bullshit

This is an outrage!

Why the fuck do only the woman get baby showers?! Why isn't the father given a huge party and gifts?!

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!

it's called "Market Demographics"

if your target market is males, 18-35yrs (give or take), you market for that.

that said, last time I was at E3, I remember seeing male models as well when the role called for it.
It's like the movie and TV industries. They take casting calls and do auditions for different roles since not all good actors can fit the role.

On a different note, many female gamers I know don't mind seeing female models as they are easier to relate to than some "big muscle" male model.
That said...article seems to just want to "sensationalize" it.

Pretty much.

Women like boob's too. Non issue.

Why was she on the floor instead of in the catering kitchen?

Also, some games definitely have strong female roles. Hasn't she ever heard of Tomb Raider? Leisure suit larry?

Stuff like this just makes me tired. Its a male-dominated industry of interactive entertainment. Somber professionalism is for corporate offices, not expos. Expos are about exposition. Visual stimulus. What catches the eye of the observer will garner the most exposure.

Back