Symantec Axing 1,700 Jobs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Not wanting to be outdone by IBM, Symantec is reportedly cutting 1,700 jobs. Hah! Take that Big Blue!

The security solutions provider is cutting roughly 8 percent of its global work force in two phases, with about 1,000 positions going first, this month, and another 700 people receiving pink slips in July, AllThingsD reported Thursday, citing unnamed sources.

What amazes me is enough people buy their crappy products to support 1700 jobs, not to mention 92% who didn't get pink slips.

What amazes me is enough people buy their crappy products to support 1700 jobs, not to mention 92% who didn't get pink slips.

Symantec software=scareware. :mad:
It is low end virus/spyware ware protection but it is installed on seemingly every new laptop and PC. After a month you are bombarded with warnings, "Your System is at Risk!!!! You are gonna die!!!!, UPGRADE NOW or risk loosing everything".

But I think people are finally wising up and realize there is better protection for FREE available.

It is low end virus/spyware ware protection but it is installed on seemingly every new laptop and PC. After a month you are bombarded with warnings, "Your System is at Risk!!!! You are gonna die!!!!, UPGRADE NOW or risk loosing everything".

Can't tell you how much ALL AV software like this (besides MSE/malwarebytes). Also can't tell you how many thousands of dollars (and cpu/HDD access time) I've seen clients plug away at bullshit software like this.

Blargh. Worse than the virus' themselves!

Bitdefender never hassles me to buy.

Neither does F-Secure

might want to re-evaluate your options ;)

Symantec is a lot more than just Anti-virus software, I've used their tape backup software for years. However, I've now dropped them and switched to Microsoft's backup product.

Symantec was always way too expensive, especially the yearly software maintenance.
Cost us over $4K/year just to keep the backup software upgraded in our 2 offices. That's more than 2x what I spent for the hardware: LTO tape changer, server and tapes when averaged over the past 5 years. Plus performance and usability of the software has gotten worse the last couple version. The last version was basically unusable when it came out. After 2 weeks of failed backups I gave up.

As a software developer, Microsoft gives us 2 licenses for their DPM (data protection manager) software. so my software cost is ZERO. It's a lot more hardware intensive, especially the disk backup that takes about 2x the space of Symantec's software. But disks are cheap. I upgraded the drives for less than the cost of 1 year's subscription charges on Symantec.

Can't tell you how much ALL AV software like this (besides MSE/malwarebytes). Also can't tell you how many thousands of dollars (and cpu/HDD access time) I've seen clients plug away at bullshit software like this.

Blargh. Worse than the virus' themselves!

remind me to never let you touch a single system of mine.

Perhaps if their AV line wasn't 2 months behind other product in catching viruses and malware they'd be doing better. Also backup exec is still my most hated software suite ever. Everything symantec consumes turns to crap.

We have used Symantec for years at work. About 500 systems and maybe once a month I will have to clean a pc that got infected. I blame the user more than I blame the software. Sure it is a resource hog but overall it works fine for our office.

Hmmmmm
Lots of negativity here.
We have improved almost every aspect of NAV/NIS/N360 in the last 3-4 years.
This is not the symantec of old.

I just hope I still have a job come monday.

Layoffs are always unfortunate :(

I just wonder if that company might be as bloated as their software...

Hmmmmm
Lots of negativity here.

That sucks man, they didn't send a memo on which dept are targeted?

But I think people are finally wising up and realize there is better protection for FREE available.

I like how they have progressed from defeating the old, put the date forward two years, and then install Norton AV trick, to "hey your out of date so you aren't getting anymore updates", and then the "hey you haven't renewed after two weeks of not getting updates so we disabled your internet protection completely".

Symantec needs to do us all a favor and exit the business. I have hated that resource hogging crap for many years.

I'm so glad that MS finally started bundling MSE/Defender with Windows with Windows 8. I think MS can push a little bit now, with all the tablet PC's, etc... They stopped bundling for fear of antitrust allegations.

Amusing Symantec story. I go out on a lot of group rides (road cycling) and the people I ride with tend to be business owners, contractors, retired execs, pro cyclists or unemployed. Some time back this guy wearing a Symantec jersey started showing up and I assumed he was either a consultant or sales guy, so whenever I rode next to him I would insult his company. You know good naturedly, but Enrique was always curious about issues I had with Symantec, so I would relate to him my tales of horror. Honestly, Symantec is a lot better than it used to be, but as someone who gets calls from IT guys when the shit hits the fan, I still see some pretty heinous Symantec problems and will never recommend it after the selling virus lists to China debacle.

Anyway this went on for a while, until I was at the post ride, coffee shop chatting with a fellow rider who owns a large MSP and he mentioned something about the CEO of Symantec riding with us. Not even knowing who the CEO of Symantec was, I asked which guy he was (usually our rides are 50+ people)... "you know him, Enrique, Enrique Salem". I swear coffee shot out of my nose as my mind started working back to all the crap I talked about his software.

The board terminated him not long after that day, but he still wears that Symantec jersey and I no longer talk crap about his former company. Thinking back on our conversations, I think he honestly was interested in how his software was seen in the real world.

Hmmmmm
Lots of negativity here.

Take the week off. :p

Back