New PC Build

Spartan468

n00b
Hello everyone.
I am here seeking help with my build.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, Photoshoping, Web browsing, 3D designing, Video Editing and Video Game Modding stuff.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
You can say 1000-1200 US Dollars, not including any taxes.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Greece.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CASE
PSU
Motherboard
CPU
CPU Cooler
RAM
Optical Drive

And maybe an HDD.
1 TB is the best deal so i will put the OS in one partition and use the other as storage and back-up for stuff i do not really mind to loose.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I do have a Palit GTX 660 Ti Jetstream which i will use.
Also various mice and keyboards. I will probably use the Logitech MX518 which i have been using for years, and get a new keyboard.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes. Maybe not much at the beginning.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1080p, 21 1/2 inches.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Yesterday.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
More than 16GB, 1600MHz memory Support
SLI (In case i get another card in the future)
Space for extra GPU card.
SATA ports to connects HDD and stuff
At least four USB Ports

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I have Win7 in both 32bit and 64bit. Obviusly i have to go with 64bit to use more that 4GB of memory. I guess Home 64bit or Professional 64bit.

11. Unofficial) Do you already have an offer about some or all parts, or are you thinking about specific parts?
I have an offer about the following parts:
i7 3770K
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 4GB (X4)
Corsair TX650M
Cooler Master K380

Last edited:
Some not-so-good choices there:

1) Which revision of the TX650M are you considering? You see, the original version of the TX650M was of significantly lower quality than the now-discontinued non-modular TX650v2. The current shipping revision of the TX650M is now the same internally as the currently shipping revision of the non-modular TX650 (both are now based on CWT's PUQ-B platform).

2) If toy are considering a third-party tower-style air cooler (which you will definitely need if you're going to overclock the CPU), make sure that you get the low-profile version of the Vengeance RAM (model number begins with "CML"). The standard "CMZ" model Vengeance RAM has heat spreaders that are extremely tall - so tall that they severely interfere with the proper installation of most tower-style CPU air coolers.

3) Since Haswell (i7-4770 series) and Z87 are already on the market, why settle for an older-generation platform unless you can purchase them for significantly less money than the new-generation parts? Unfortunately, hardly anyone offers sufficient dollar savings for Ivy Bridge than for Haswell to justify settling for such obsolesced technology: At most, you'd be saving only about $30 or so for such older parts in total. If the price difference were more than $100 total, then I might recommend this older route. (And note that my prices are in USD, and in the US.)

Of course, this is one of my standard responses for a US buyer. If you live in Greece, on the other hand, newer-generation parts might not be available right now. Worse, availability of most of the good bang-for-the-buck parts might be spotty or nonexistent over there.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

I was feeling that something was wrong with this build.

1) I am open to suggestions about the PSU.
I need one that is quiet and can be used in the E.U (220V 50Hz) and in the U.S (110V 60Hz), and it is 650W+.

2) Is there any cooler that does not interfere? I have found a real bargain for these memory modules and i would like to use them.

3) I Googled about the Haswell CPUs.
Do you suggest an i5 or i7?
I do not planning to do major video editing, just 1080p video and i can wait for the process to end. I am actually patient.
Which Z87 motherboard would you suggest?

2) Is there any cooler that does not interfere? I have found a real bargain for these memory modules and i would like to use them.

I can answer only the RAM inquiry right now.

Practically speaking, the only ones that do not interfere with this RAM with such tall heat spreaders are the stock bundled Intel boxed CPU cooler (which IMHO is unsuitable for anything more than a limited 400MHz overclock), those third-party air coolers that deliver very poor cooling performance for the money, pricey self-contained liquid CPU coolers such as the Corsair H110 and expensive water coolers that have their own extremely large water tank.

I would avoid water-cooling.
I have heard bad thinks about leaks and difficult maintenance of the water cooling system.

I found this while googling:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/316929-30-will-coolermaster-corsair-vengeance-p8z77

Anne had any personal experience?

But it is more important for now to focus on the more important issues.
So let us leave the RAM for now and go back to the other parts.

Firstly,
4th Gen i5 or i7?

Last edited:
How about this?

CPU: i5 4670K
Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO or TPC 812XS
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A
RAM: If the Vengeance cannot fit, i am open to alternatives.
GPU: GTX 660 ti (which i already possess)
PSU: Corsair HX650
Optical Drive: A cheap CD/DVD writer.
CASE: COOLER MASTER K380
HDD: 1TB 7200RPM (O.S Partition and Storage Partition)

Firstly,
4th Gen i5 or i7?
If 3D editing/rendering and video editing take up about 50% of the time you spend on the PC, then yes you should be going with the Core i7 4770K.

RAM: If the Vengeance cannot fit, i am open to alternatives.
The RAM you chose would still be a bad choice even if it didn't have tall heatsinks as they are 4GB sticks. That means that should you upgrade past 16GB of RAM, you would have to throw away or put aside some of those 4GB sticks of RAM. Considering that your kind of usage can easily surpass 16GB of RAM usage, you should be looking at single 8GB sticks of RAM or 2 x 8GB sticks of RAM. I would still however recommend the low profile Corsair Vengeance RAM CML 8 or 2 x 8GB sticks of RAM.

CASE: COOLER MASTER K380
How much is the Corsair 200R?
HDD: 1TB 7200RPM (O.S Partition and Storage Partition)
How much would it cost to add the Samsung 840 120GB SSD to your build?

If 3D editing/rendering and video editing take up about 50% of the time you spend on the PC, then yes you should be going with the Core i7 4770K.
Not even close to 50%. I do some works now and then. I guess i can save the money and put it on something else and just wait a bit longer.

The RAM you chose would still be a bad choice even if it didn't have tall heatsinks as they are 4GB sticks. That means that should you upgrade past 16GB of RAM, you would have to throw away or put aside some of those 4GB sticks of RAM. Considering that your kind of usage can easily surpass 16GB of RAM usage, you should be looking at single 8GB sticks of RAM or 2 x 8GB sticks of RAM. I would still however recommend the low profile Corsair Vengeance RAM CML 8 or 2 x 8GB sticks of RAM.
Is the 4x8GB sticks absolutly essential for gaming?
Getting a total of 32 GB will totally blow the budged, considering that i have found a bargain for the 16GB of ram.

How much is the Corsair 200R?
About 10-15 € more than the K380.
But maybe i can find an even bigger case for a few more euros.

How much would it cost to add the Samsung 840 120GB SSD to your build?
It will be about 170€.
I was thinking about the SSD because i recently had HDD crash which probably resulted in mechanical failure, but do not really trust SSDs...
I have heard rumors that they wear if you add and remove software and that in the long term (a couple of years) they will be unusable because due to use.

Not even close to 50%. I do some works now and then. I guess i can save the money and put it on something else and just wait a bit longer.
Yeah just get the Core i5 4670K instead.
Is the 4x8GB sticks absolutly essential for gaming?
Getting a total of 32 GB will totally blow the budged, considering that i have found a bargain for the 16GB of ram.
Actually you be fine with 8GB of RAM for gaming. So 16GB is a bit overkill. So no, you don't need 32GB of RAM. I only recommended 32GB since you listed "3D designing, Video Editing, Photoshoping" which are usage scenarios that can exceed 16GB of RAM usage. What's the exact model RAM you're looking to buy?
About 10-15 € more than the K380.
But maybe i can find an even bigger case for a few more euros.
I only brought up the Corsair 200R since it's a confirmed quality case whereas that Coolermaster is virtually unknonwn at this time.
It will be about 170€.
I was thinking about the SSD because i recently had HDD crash which probably resulted in mechanical failure, but do not really trust SSDs...
I have heard rumors that they wear if you add and remove software and that in the long term (a couple of years) they will be unusable because due to use.
Yeah those are no longer true rumors. You would have to constantly install and uninstall applications non-stop for five years before you see "unusable" with most good SSDs these days. At this point in time, there are enough good and relatively low priced SSDs out there that are worth getting.

Thanks for your help and relies so far.

Actually you be fine with 8GB of RAM for gaming. So 16GB is a bit overkill. So no, you don't need 32GB of RAM. I only recommended 32GB since you listed "3D designing, Video Editing, Photoshoping" which are usage scenarios that can exceed 16GB of RAM usage. What's the exact model RAM you're looking to buy?
I do not have any problem in my current rig that has only 4GB, so i guess 16 is more than enough.
I had a good offer for Corsair Vengeance, but i am not sure if they will fit with the cooler.
I seen in a Russian website that they do fit with the TPC 812XS, specially with the cooler mounter in reverse.
http://www.citilink.ru/catalog/702527/?review=rev6879

I only brought up the Corsair 200R since it's a confirmed quality case whereas that Coolermaster is virtually unknonwn at this time.
I have to think about the cases.
What i want is something that i can add fans to it, has space, a headphone jack, and couple or more USB ports.

Yeah those are no longer true rumors. You would have to constantly install and uninstall applications non-stop for five years before you see "unusable" with most good SSDs these days. At this point in time, there are enough good and relatively low priced SSDs out there that are worth getting.
I will consider that. Maybe i will get a 128 one to install only the O.S and only the most demanding programs and games.

Last edited:
You opinions about the ASRock Z87 Extreme 6?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157371

Also,
1)Any good PSU?
Corsair HX650 is a little hard to find here.

2) Any good and preferably "compact" coolers for overclocking an i5 4670K, 1150 socket?

And a late reply.
Which revision of the TX650M are you considering? You see, the original version of the TX650M was of significantly lower quality than the now-discontinued non-modular TX650v2. The current shipping revision of the TX650M is now the same internally as the currently shipping revision of the non-modular TX650 (both are now based on CWT's PUQ-B platform).
I asked today and they gave me the full number, which is CORSAIR PSU 650W CMPSU-TX650EU CP-9020038-EU.

Last edited:
Pricey. Considering your budget, you shouldn't be looking at a mobo that expensive.
Also,
1)Any good PSU?
Corsair HX650 is a little hard to find here.
Seasonic SSR-550W, Seasonic X650, Antec High Current Gamer series, etc.
2) Any good and preferably "compact" coolers for overclocking an i5 4670K, 1150 socket?
The TPC-812 S is a solid choice. Considering that you have the i5 4670K which does run hotter when overclocked, so called "compact coolers" which are usually using 90mm fans or smaller are not good choices. There is also the Thermaltake Frio or Noctua NH-D14.
I asked today and they gave me the full number, which is CORSAIR PSU 650W CMPSU-TX650EU CP-9020038-EU.
That's not the TX650M. That's the regular TX650. The TX650 is a good choice.

Pricey. Considering your budget, you shouldn't be looking at a mobo that expensive.
Indeed. Although they made me an "offer" but it is still expensive.
Unfortunately the Asus Z87-A is not available in my country so i will either have to get Asus Z87-K, or a more expensive Asus Z87.
I will of course look for bargains if i choose to get the more expensive ones. No, i do not mean getting used stuff.

You know you don't have to get an Asus board, right? MSI makes some of the better boards under $150 right now.

The MSI Z87-G43 and MSI Z87-G45 mobos seems solid enough.

You know you don't have to get an Asus board, right? MSI makes some of the better boards under $150 right now.
To be honest i did not until i saw your reply.

I cannot found the MSI Z87-G43 in my country, and the MSI Z87-G45 costs 179.90 €, more closer to the Asus Z87 PRO which costs 194.98 €. Asus Z87-K costs 131.27 €.

So not much difference here, just 15€.

Update.

Here is the current list:

CPU: i5 4670K
Cooler: COOLER MASTER TPC 812XS
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (X2)
GPU: Palit GTX 660 ti Jetstream (already bought)
PSU: Corsair TX650
Optical Drive: A cheap CD/DVD writer.
CASE: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 Plus
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 250GB

I would like some advise about the fans. The case comes with a 200mm front fan plus the rear one. I want to add another 200mm fan on top and a 140-120mm fan on the side pannel, in the following set-up:

Front: Intake (For HDDs, SSDs, GPU)
Rear: Exhaust (For CPU)
Top: Intake (For CPU, RAM, Motherboard)
Side: Exhaust (For GPU)

Notes:
*Price of Samsung 840 250GB is 170€. I made a mistake in previous post.
*ASRock Z87 Extreme6 is a little expensive, but it has nice features and i have already found it from a supplier that has stock. The other motherboards either don't exist or have a 20 day waiting period.
*The COOLER MASTER HAF 912 Plus is available only i Europe, i know. I do live in Europe and i can buy it. Just saying to avoid any misunderstanding. ;)

Last edited:
The side should be an intake and the top be an exhaust for better cooling.

Isn't this a little overkill?
The 200mm fan has high CFM, so i worry that it will suck out most of the incoming air before this air can cool the components.

As for the side, having the front as also an intake, will this not prevent hot air from escaping and result in heat? My GPU can act as a barrier for hot air

I know that warm air goes up and cool air goes down, but inside a PC Case things are tight.

Isn't this a little overkill?
The 200mm fan has high CFM, so i worry that it will suck out most of the incoming air before this air can cool the components.

As for the side, having the front as also an intake, will this not prevent hot air from escaping and result in heat? My GPU can act as a barrier for hot air
When it comes to cooling, you want to exhaust as much hot air as possible out of the system so that it doesn't build up and increase the overall temps. That's why you have the two exhaust fans for. They ensure that the air doesn't linger long enough for heat to build up in the area. So no, you won't see high temperatures with the setup I proposed. In addition, even though that 200mm fan may have "high CFM", it's been found that front fan doesn't do as much to cool the overall system as much as a top and rear exhaust with a side intake ssetup would do due to the distance between the front and rear fans. It certainly cools the drives but you generally want a side intake fan for better GPU and chipset cooling.

I will go with this setup. It is also suggested by the manufacturer: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/haf912/home.php?page=cooling

Any suggestions about an 140mm side panel fan?
I prefer high CFM and low noise.

EDIT
Problems....

1) TPC 812XS is nowhere to be found. Stores only sell onlder models, and mistakenly present them as TPC 812XS.

So, will a NOCTUA NH-D14 be a good choice?
Note that i will be using Corsair Vengeance LP on an ASRock z87 Extreme6 1150 socket Motherboard

2) I can only find red and blue LED 200mm fans. Is there a way to disable these LEDs? You see i am a good guy and i do not want to waste Earth's resources...

Also a question.
When a Motherboard has an integrated GPU and you also use a GPU card, will the two GPU processors work together in someway, or you can use only the one or only the other?

Last edited:
I will go with this setup. It is also suggested by the manufacturer: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/haf912/home.php?page=cooling
Which is exactly what I recommended.
Any suggestions about an 140mm side panel fan?
I prefer high CFM and low noise.
Those two requirements don't necessarily jive with one another. With that said, the Antec TrueQuiet 140 is a fairly quiet 140mm fan model. However if you don't mind a noise increase, the Antec TwoCool 140 is another good choice.

1) TPC 812XS is nowhere to be found. Stores only sell onlder models, and mistakenly present them as TPC 812XS.

So, will a NOCTUA NH-D14 be a good choice?
Note that i will be using Corsair Vengeance LP on an ASRock z87 Extreme6 1150 socket Motherboard?
Wait a second: You're actually getting the Vengeance LP? The link you provided on July 13th was not the LP version. If you are getting the LP version and not the RAM you originally linked, the Noctua NH-D14 is a solid choice.

2) I can only find red and blue LED 200mm fans. Is there a way to disable these LEDs? You see i am a good guy and i do not want to waste Earth's resources...
Cut them out. Though really wouldn't worry about the LEDs taking up a lot of power. The average lightbulb in a home uses more power than six 140mm fans with LEDs on them.

Also a question.
When a Motherboard has an integrated GPU and you also use a GPU card, will the two GPU processors work together in someway, or you can use only the one or only the other?
They won't work together as one GPU if that's what you're asking. However, you can use the onboard video to power other monitors while the dedicated GPU powers another monitor.

Which is exactly what I recommended.
Indeed it is. I just wanted to hear what the people in this forum suggest. I never take anything the manufacturer says as fact or present as the best way.

Those two requirements don't necessarily jive with one another. With that said, the Antec TrueQuiet 140 is a fairly quiet 140mm fan model. However if you don't mind a noise increase, the Antec TwoCool 140 is another good choice.
Some noise in alright, i just want to avoid lots of noise. Anything that does not go above 30 db is fine.

The fans you suggest are available in my country from a single store, which is notorious about long waiting periods (even if they say 1-5 working days). How are the above funs compared to this one which is more widely available?
http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/fan/ty-147.html

Wait a second: You're actually getting the Vengeance LP? The link you provided on July 13th was not the LP version. If you are getting the LP version and not the RAM you originally linked, the Noctua NH-D14 is a solid choice.
Yes.
Thanks to this forum i saved my self the trouble and my wall a small crater that would have resulted from hitting my head on it out of frustration if i had bought the standard Vengeance.

Cut them out. Though really wouldn't worry about the LEDs taking up a lot of power. The average lightbulb in a home uses more power than six 140mm fans with LEDs on them.
I can, but i will not. I do not what to cut them of and destroy a 15€ fan. What i want to re-sell it some time in the future?
I know that LEDs do not consume much power. I use LED lightbulbs in my house and i also use LEDs in flashlights. It is just that if i ever want to leave the PC on overnight, i will have trouble with all the lights...

They won't work together as one GPU if that's what you're asking. However, you can use the onboard video to power other monitors while the dedicated GPU powers another monitor.
I was asking exactly that.
I was hoping that they would, but anyway, the extra monitor ability is better than nothing.

The fans you suggest are available in my country from a single store, which is notorious about long waiting periods (even if they say 1-5 working days). How are the above funs compared to this one which is more widely available?
http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/fan/ty-147.html
The above fans are still better than that Thermalright but that Thermalright may provide acceptable noise and cooling levels.

I can, but i will not. I do not what to cut them of and destroy a 15€ fan. What i want to re-sell it some time in the future?
I know that LEDs do not consume much power. I use LED lightbulbs in my house and i also use LEDs in flashlights. It is just that if i ever want to leave the PC on overnight, i will have trouble with all the lights...
Well, outside of cutting out the LEDs or cutting the power wires to the LEDs, there aren't any ways AFAIK where you can disable the LED of a fan without extensively modifying it and voiding the warranty. So in other words, you're going to have to but non-LED fans if the light really bothers you.

I will probably keep my current PC for these purposes then.

I cannot find non-LED 200mm fans in my country, and covering the fans to block the light is not a good idea.

Ordering them from another country will cost a lot. These stuff are big and fragile and it might take weeks until they arrive.

I will probably keep my current PC for these purposes then.
huh? What purposes are you talking about? Or are you trying to say that you're going to hold off on any upgrade until you can find non-LED 200mm fans in your country?

Have you thought about just getting a case that DOESN'T use 200mm fans? You don't always need 200mm fans for effective cooling.

There's the Corsair 200R, 300R, 400R, and 500R cases as well as the Antec 1100 and Lian Li PC-7HX cases.

If quiet/low noise is a higher priority than cooling, then you want to look at the Antec P280, Fractal Design Define R4, Corsair 550D, and Silverstone RV03 cases.

I mostly let the PC on overnight when i download something big or converting a big file. This way everything is finish when i wake up in the morning.

My current PC, a 4 years old Acer M3910, is sufficient for these purposes but it cannot be upgraded because of factory limitations and this is why i am building a new PC.

Instead of putting my current PC in a box and store it, i will keep it alongside the new one, and use the new PC for gaming and "heavy" programs and the old for everything else.

I know that i do not need a 200mm fan, but getting two smaller fans is not much cost-effective with the prices here.

As for the case, the Cooler Master HAF 912 plus is the only one that is available in my country that has features i want and is priced below 100€.
I can also modify the case a little if necessary.;)

EDIT
One more thing.
I will be using four chassis fans with a Motherboard that has three slots. I guess i need a Y-split cable?
If yes, which fans should i use splinted?

EDIT 2
Actually two more things.

Will the Noctua NH-D14 fit in a Cooler Master HAF 912 chassis with a Cooler Master MegaFlow 200x200x30mm on top?

Last edited:
I know that i do not need a 200mm fan, but getting two smaller fans is not much cost-effective with the prices here.

As for the case, the Cooler Master HAF 912 plus is the only one that is available in my country that has features i want and is priced below 100€.
I can also modify the case a little if necessary.;)
Then you're going to accept the LEDs then. With that said, considering that you said "do not want to waste Earth's resources", having your second PC overnight uses a lot of power, especiallly considering that your old Acer may or may not have some of hotter running and power hungry CPUs (Core i7). The newer system is going to use a lot less power.

I will be using four chassis fans with a Motherboard that has three slots. I guess i need a Y-split cable?
If yes, which fans should i use splinted?
Some of those fans are molex powered. So use the molex for those.

Will the Noctua NH-D14 fit in a Cooler Master HAF 912 chassis with a Cooler Master MegaFlow 200x200x30mm on top?
Don't know for sure. The max height for the HSF for the HAF 912 is supposedly 175mm. However there's no mention of thats with the case fans or not. The max height of the Noctua is 160mm.

Then you're going to accept the LEDs then. With that said, considering that you said "do not want to waste Earth's resources", having your second PC overnight uses a lot of power, especiallly considering that your old Acer may or may not have some of hotter running and power hungry CPUs (Core i7). The newer system is going to use a lot less power.
I was actually jocking about the "Earth's recourses". ;)
My Acer is i3 with a 250W PSU, so i do not worry, the planet is safe.

Some of those fans are molex powered. So use the molex for those.
Great!

Don't know for sure. The max height for the HSF for the HAF 912 is supposedly 175mm. However there's no mention of thats with the case fans or not. The max height of the Noctua is 160mm.
Do you mean the side panel? This won't be an issue and if it is i can easily modify the side panel with a Dremel tool and some drill bits.
It is the top exhaust fan that worries me...

Everything except the RAM has arrived.

It seems that the Noctua NH-D14, and the 200x200x30mm fan will fit with no problems in the HAF 912 Plus.

Hopefully i will take some photos.

Thanks!

Hopefully i will have the RAM in about 12 hours. (It is Monday 02:00AM in Greece now)

I also ordered a couple of games to test. ;)

FastForward
Everything has arrived.

I am about to start assembling the new PC rights now.

Thank you all for your help, an specially Danny Bui.

Last edited:
I assembled everything.
Only cable management left.
Since my chassis has no side window, i do not really care about having a "clean" build. This is why i got a non-modular PSU and a case without a side window. I simply do not have the space to "exhibit"my PC and i do not like to do so anyway.

Here are some pictures of the build:
DSCF1055.jpg

DSCF1063.jpg

And yes, Noctua NH-D14 + Cooler Master HAF 912 + 200x200x30mm Top Fan fit perfectly! Note that i use an ASRock Z87 Extreme6 Motherboard, so i can't tell about other models and brands. There is actually a full Inch clearence between the cooler and the fan!

I installed the O.S and everything works nicely and fast.

I did not played any games yet, building took me a solid 5 hours. I will test it today.

Back