BMW Says No To iOS In Its Cars

HardOCP News

[H] News
Awww, poor Apple. I guess you can't win them all.

In case you missed it, Apple announced that 12 carmakers including Chevrolet, Jaguar, Nissan and Ferrari will come with systems starting next year designed to take iPhone integration to the next level by putting iOS directly in their infotainment systems. But BMW wasn't one of them.

ugh, when will manufacturers of things realize I DO NOT own and DO NOT want i-fuking-anything!

ffs they don't even hold 20% of the market in smartphones, why does everything have to be iReady or stores have entire isles for iCrap.

ugh, when will manufacturers of things realize I DO NOT own and DO NOT want i-fuking-anything!

ffs they don't even hold 20% of the market in smartphones, why does everything have to be iReady or stores have entire isles for iCrap.

I am with you brother. Am super disappointed that Honda fell for this :(

I am happy as a BMW owner I rather have them focus on the car itself then crap like this.

I am with you brother. Am super disappointed that Honda fell for this :(

It's a match made in heaven. Phones for the lowest common denominator matched with cars for the lowest common denominator.

It's a match made in heaven. Phones for the lowest common denominator matched with cars for the lowest common denominator.

Well, I own and like Honda for its super reliability but this union makes me upset.

No problem with iOS being in cars... Just hope there is an android option as well.

Options are good, lack of options suck.

If Apple OR Android becomes the OS provider of choice to Cars, Blu Ray players etc, that ecosystem will have the huge benefit of mass support that Windows desktop has had for years and very important bullet point for its usage (no matter how suckage you thought of the OS at the time).

Can we get a few more good tech related articles instead of all of these anti-Apple crap posts? I might as well just remove my bookmark to the main page. This isn't [L]impOCP, is it?

a lot of modern cars with this option available is likely to have USB options too. No big deal. As for Ford not being on the list, well they're working closely with Microsoft and their Sync system anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Windows Phone integration in the works.

Beats manufacturers retarded proprietary shit.

All cars should have come with some kind of mainstream computer by now, and iOS should be fine for simple infotainment and HVAC controls and the like.

Gen Zs are a breed apart, they are unable to to think for themselves or avoid a trend in culture. They are the advertisers wet dream.

Gen Zs are a breed apart, they are unable to to think for themselves or avoid a trend in culture. They are the advertisers wet dream.

I'm seeing this more and more and more, quite sad little sheeple. Although it is hard to get enlightened with ones head that far up ones ass.

I'm seeing this more and more and more, quite sad little sheeple. Although it is hard to get enlightened with ones head that far up ones ass.

Or someone else's. The whole trend train is like the Human Centipad.

I don't know if Parker and Stone could have produced a more perfect analogy, really.

These stupid infotainment systems are just one of the many reasons I'll never buy a new car. My car's primary functions should be controlled by buttons and knobs. None of this touchscreen shit. If I want infotainment, I'll buy a phone dock.

Don't worry, I'm sure this will be a ridiculously expensive addon that only the isheep will be willing to pay. There will be the stock radio and the iradio for an extra 3k....

These stupid touchscreen systems are just one of the many reasons I'll never buy a new phone. My phone's primary functions should be controlled by buttons and knobs. None of this touchscreen shit. If I want infotainment, I'll buy one of those new-fangled transistor radios.

So? I don't base my life on what other people think or to be part of the 'in crowd'. If someone is happy that IOS or Android is in their infotainment system embedded in their car, good for them. I hope they fully enjoy the addition. l personally wouldn't buy a car like that. Give me a good American muscle car with a decent radio/CD player and I'm happy. :)

Well, if you don't have one, then you look like a commoner when you tilt sideways and pull your phone from your pocket to surf the Internets when you're in a parking lot.

If it's the last car on the lot and I can delete the iGarbage out of the system before I buy it, cool, otherwise no sale.

Well, I own and like Honda for its super reliability but this union makes me upset.

I've owned Honda's before, but if Honda's start coming with iOS based stereo's I'll never buy a Honda again.

Lol at this thread. Unless they changed something, you won't be forced to use an iphone to control your system, it's just an option available to you. But lets all be childish and say we won't buy a car because it had the option to use an iphone to control the entertainment system. Listen to yourselves for once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOr6k2_hj6E

About a million fucking times better than ANY stock nav system in ANY car (except for Tesla). Crappy resistive touchscreens, super high latency, horrible UI's, limited features, sluggish maps, very bland overview, total lack of detail. In car nav systems are lack first gen blackberries. Just slow and outdated.

Dont forget, in car nav UI's are probably designed by the car manufacturers themselves, something in which they dont have much experience in, at least not in the same way Google/Apple/Microsoft does. You wouldnt want Apple building your engine anymore than I want Nissan building my infotainment system.

Beats manufacturers retarded proprietary shit.

All cars should have come with some kind of mainstream computer by now, and iOS should be fine for simple infotainment and HVAC controls and the like.

QTF....

people who complain about this are dumb. I'll rather have apple proprietary stuffthan some shit car manufactured crap.

how are ford's doing with their sync? People complain about that all the time

anyhow, how is this news?

Dont forget, in car nav UI's are probably designed by the car manufacturers themselves, something in which they dont have much experience in, at least not in the same way Google/Apple/Microsoft does. You wouldnt want Apple building your engine anymore than I want Nissan building my infotainment system.
Exactly. I think the haters here are either just pissed that iOS was picked over Android or MS or don't understand and think you'll need an 'iDevice' to control your car.

Its far more likely that you'll essentially have an integrated iPad type touchscreen replacing and consolidating a whole bunch of hardware and physical buttons that are run on a clusterfuck of operations setup by car manufacturers that really aren't properly integrated or have any experience with the type of multi-media rich capabilities people expect in modern in-car entertainment.

What this will mean is that you will have a mainstream more powerful operating system with user friendly screens to control or overview everything/anything in your vehicle, where you can probably drive up in your driveway and wirelessly sync your music and update the GPS maps and points of interest, get constant updates for connectivity to your various bluetooth devices like phones, and perhaps even neat little features like being able to check your average fuel economy or next oil change interval and the like on your phone or tablet, and probably even click a button on your phone to unlock your doors and lower the windows and start the engine so its nice and cozy when you walk out to your car in the morning.

IMO, any of the "big three" that specialize in operating systems is a better choice than any of the offerings Mercedes, Ford, GM, and Honda and the like can come up with on their own.

Anyone who's bought a few cars realizes very quickly how stupid *ALL* Nav/info/sound systems become after a few years.

Sure -- it looks great and spiffy now to have a 6" screen pop out of nowhere and guide you, but those systems ages, roads change, and whatever service that system uses for data might not be around in 5 or 10 years.

Same thing with premium sound systems - bought a 2005 RX8 brand new, first car out of college I bought with my sweet ass job. Loaded, leather, Bose audio -- found out very quickly how much bose sucks ass. Same mistake on my 2008 Z06 - I went with the Nav unit (had to go with bose as the Z06 model only comes that way) -- stripped both of the stock systems out and put in my own. Stock anything... sucks if you are really wanting to enjoy it.

I do happen to like BMW's - I'd love to have an M3 or M5 but if they salesman started talking about iOS this or that, I'd get VERY turned off to it.

I imagine that they are pissed about apple changing the 30 connector and making all their previous cars incompatible with the lightning connector. I read that somewhere but I fotgot where exactly.

And aside from your house (which most homes could also seriously use iOS or somethign to integrate home security cameras, digital locks, air conditioning, and monitoring of electricity/gas usage etc), your car is usually the second most expensive purchase you will make in your life so whats an extra $100 or so for a real OS?

This is 2013, we should be embracing this stuff [H]ard, while promoting competition between the other two big players and telling car manufacturers to just stop trying because they SUCK at it. :)

Don't most nav units have updates you can download? (Or buy, but that's not really a great option since its generally expensive). Also I believe newer nav systems or just entertainment systems incorporate google maps or something. I saw it in a review of a newer mercedes.

Sure -- it looks great and spiffy now to have a 6" screen pop out of nowhere and guide you, but those systems ages, roads change, and whatever service that system uses for data might not be around in 5 or 10 years.
Unless your car is running iOS... in which case you can simply download GPS updates over your wifi network in your driveway or over a dataplan for your car, and perhaps even simply download other GPS apps just like you can for your iPad.

This is a reason that having a REAL mainstream OS like this is better than say the stupid Dodge Ram proprietary super expensive headunit that they abandon for a completely new system when the next model Dodge comes out and the two systems are incompatible so you can't even upgrade.

I guess cause Ford don't want it, Mazda isn't on there either, I got rid of my iPhone two phones ago, I don't want them in my car.

Don't most nav units have updates you can download?
My brother's super expensive Mercedes had some crappy proprietary GPS system, and you had to buy DVDs any time you wanted to update it, and just hoped that Mercedes would keep supporting that device a few years down the road and didn't just abandon it when they stop manufacturing that model car (which they do about every four to five years).

I think iOS would actually fit quite nice in a car. Apple has good design, easy to use interfaces and, perhaps most importantly, updates their software regularly.

In contrast to Sync that was responsible for Fords drop in overall customer satisfaction last year.

Most stock nav/infortainment systems are slow, ugly and don't work very well

My brother's super expensive Mercedes had some crappy proprietary GPS system, and you had to buy DVDs any time you wanted to update it, and just hoped that Mercedes would keep supporting that device a few years down the road and didn't just abandon it when they stop manufacturing that model car (which they do about every four to five years).

I meant newer ones, as in maybe the past year. I'm not sure when exactly they started with the apps in the cars though. I think bmw recently overhauled theirs too. They are moving away from the proprietary ones I think, although I thought even their were made by someone like Garmin.

Back