Win7 Flicks option for Win8?

farscapesg1

2[H]4U
Finally got around to installing WIndows 8 on my HP 2740p tablet and trying to adjust to it. I'm not a fan of Metro.. but I live at the desktop most of the time so it doesn't really affect me too much. One thing that does really affect me is I just noticed Windows 8 doesn't have an equivalent to Windows 7 "Flicks". I'm used to going back/forward with a finger swipe, and so far I haven't found any way to enable that in Windows 8.

Overall, I'm becoming more used to it, but I may have to go back to Win7. For all the talk about Windows 8 working with more devices, it seems counter-intuitive to remove this feature on a device with a touchscreen. Not only that, but apparently Intel isn't providing any more updates for gen1 i5 processors (which the 2740p has), so the video drivers don't work right. The screen doesn't auto-rotate and the rotate screen button doesn't work. Heck... even the Intel HD Display software won't run properly. I've gotten around that a little by using some "unsigned" drivers, after putting Windows into Test mode, but it is a hack and has other issue.. like the screen not coming on after waking from sleep. I have to blindly log into Windows then use the CTRL+ALT+arrow button to swap screen orientations around until it kicks on.... which works but means I won't be putting Windows 8 on another one for my wife ;)

wow.. umm... what were they thinking? That brings up the point that I've also noticed multi-touch doesn't work either... at least in anything that isn't a Metro app. For example, zoom work in Metro IE.. but doesn't work in Google Chrome... while in Windows 7 it worked in just about anything.

Maybe I'll wait it out and see if 8.1 fixes my issues. For an OS geared towards touch-based devices... I'm sure finding a lot of issues just using my touchscreen!

Back