Get a Taste of Battlefield 4 with AMD at E3 2013

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this post on AMD's Game blog, E3 attendees are getting hands on time with Battlefield 4 as we speak. There will be a livestream feed later this afternoon via Twitch.tv. Also interesting to note, this deal was reportedly worth $7 million and as a result, the game will be exclusively optimized for AMD products.

Today we're proud to announce that Battlefield 4 will be exclusively optimized for AMD Radeon GPUs, AMD A-Series APUs and AMD FX CPUs!

Today we're proud to announce that Battlefield 4 will be exclusively optimized for AMD Radeon GPUs, AMD A-Series APUs and AMD FX CPUs!

I don't like the idea of exclusively optimized for a specific brand whereas they all should run as good as they can while adhering to the coding standards of Dx11... I suppose it helps that PS4 and XBOX 1 are both AMD and as of a result - these games most likely will be more optimized but it just reeks for everybody involved regardless.

I have a feeling this is going to be the case going forward.

They need to optimize heavily to make it run on the relatively weak consoles - I'm just wondering whether that will translate into bad performance for intel/nvidia systems.

And I'm sure it will look awesomely fun in the video demos and then be hopelessly and strictly scripted when it finally gets out for people to actually play. DICE really needs to shelf the whole SP campaign crap in their games because they really, really suck at it. Just call it an MP only game, toss in bots that only play on half the maps (like pretty much every BF game before Bad Company did) and call it a day.

As for optimizing for some specific GPUs and CPUs, that's just marketing bullshit. So we can see why AMD is crashing when they're spending their money on market speak idiocy. Especially when most PC games will be "optimized" for AMD's stuff in the future anyway because they'll be ports of XBox One and PS4 titles.

I figured that going forward the majority of games will be "optimized" for AMD, since it's what will be in both XboxONE and PS4.

All that means to me is that maybe AMD video drivers will be decent on releases for once. I suspect this may slow down Nvidia's driver team a bit, if things are handled like Tomb Raider was. But Nvidia has been quick on getting drivers fixed, so no worries there either.

And I'm sure it will look awesomely fun in the video demos and then be hopelessly and strictly scripted when it finally gets out for people to actually play. DICE really needs to shelf the whole SP campaign crap in their games because they really, really suck at it. Just call it an MP only game, toss in bots that only play on half the maps (like pretty much every BF game before Bad Company did) and call it a day.

As for optimizing for some specific GPUs and CPUs, that's just marketing bullshit. So we can see why AMD is crashing when they're spending their money on market speak idiocy. Especially when most PC games will be "optimized" for AMD's stuff in the future anyway because they'll be ports of XBox One and PS4 titles.

They aren't going to do this because it sells more units. Some people don't do MP much at all. And on the other side lots of games ship with a crappy MP as an excuse to throw on some DRM.

well shit i didnt expect my prediction to come true this fast nvidia owners time to sell your stuff :D

Optimized for a specific processor family? No thanks. That's a level of advantage for players that I don't think should be embedded in the game.

well shit i didnt expect my prediction to come true this fast nvidia owners time to sell your stuff :D

I predicted this also lol. Everyone saw it coming. When you got all the consoles running under similar architectures then your bound to get this to happen. Games might be more multithreaded giving AMD the boost it needs. Music to all AMD owners ears ;)

Saw this coming. Most games that are multi platform in the future will be optimized for AMD GPUs most likely.

It should just read, "optimized for consoles." That's what they meant.

It's what they SHOULD have been up front about last time rather than the whole "PC FIRST" utter BS lie they shoved down our throats before BF3 launched.

Optimizing for AMD processors that don't make up gaming PCs is NOT encouraging.

Optimizing for AMD/ATI video I still sort-of understand as they are still a powerhouse of stand alone video cards... for now.

It's all in how your parse it. You could have "exclusive optimization" for BOTH video vendors provided they both work with EA.

I don't like the idea of exclusively optimized for a specific brand whereas they all should run as good as they can while adhering to the coding standards of Dx11...
You don't get any extensions in D3D11. They use the same standards everyone else uses, as there's only one standard.

Funny. People ramble on about how Battlefield 4 is just a lame-ass Battlefield 3 expansion, now it's worth selling your graphics card for because it may or may not perform better on AMD hardware.

Well I own a PC, intel, NVidia so guess BF4 is a no go for me. Not going to put up with it. Probably going to have all the downfalls of P2W with a $60 price tag and 10 DLCs too.

DICE really needs to shelf the whole SP campaign crap in their games because they really, really suck at it. Just call it an MP only game, toss in bots that only play on half the maps (like pretty much every BF game before Bad Company did) and call it a day.

QFMFT

So does this mean that it will still run better on Nvidia and Intel hardware like most of the other "gaming evolved" titles? I don't think I'll get the chance to know, I bought BF3 a few months ago on sale for $12 and it was just as bad as I imagined it to be. Won't even bother with BF4 when its on sale.

I don't think this is going to be that big of a deal, it's not like there is a ton of difference, especially with amd pushing most of the open computing things with their chips. I can see it being a difference from a using 8 cores standpoint though, and that certainly could end up being an issue, but then it won't exactly exactly be optimized for most Amd processors either then since I'm sure the majority aren't of the FX 8k series.

Optomized for consoles (tm)

Its a shame one of the best PC games ever
is being consolized to death

I really doubt that it will make a difference between different manufacturers as it's all x86 in the end. There might be some small differences here and there, but nothing game breaking.

It's nice to see some real game play rather than that rehearsed cut scene :D

Optimized for a specific processor family? No thanks. That's a level of advantage for players that I don't think should be embedded in the game.

That's what you get when running pretty much ANY software on an Intel processor.

Well I own a PC, intel, NVidia so guess BF4 is a no go for me. Not going to put up with it. Probably going to have all the downfalls of P2W with a $60 price tag and 10 DLCs too.

Since every company has been doing this since 3dfx, im surprised we are getting reaponses like this now.

Hahahahahaha nvidia and their physxz gimmick can go fuck themselves now.

Pretty much.

Even if Nv has the faster hardware, if Tomb Raider is any indication, it wouldn't make a difference.
Nv driver team is still working on that game, but they can't pull ahead i.e. 780 vs 7970.

Is it me, or did that video look like pure crap. I thought the graphics were supposed to be improved on the new consoles. It looked like an early PS3/Xbox 360 game.
This statement is coming from an avid BF3 MP player, on PC.
Of course I have only played the original MP. I refused to buy their DLC, especially since it came out so quickly after the game was released. I have no use for that.

Damn it!!!

... and here I was thinking about going team green, with my next upgrade. :mad:

Don't sweat it, its just marketing posturing, even if they support some inconsequential GPU setting like an AMD-proprietary ambient occlusion mode, the game will still run fine on NVIDIA.

And do you really want to deal with AMD/ATI's generally poor drivers? Takes them forever to get sorted out after a game launch.

Well that's just f-ing great. In order for me to optimize BF4, I have to deal with shitty xfire drivers...

not sure if it's the [H] or the person hosting or who made the video -- but NOTHING pisses me off more than videos or ads that automatically play in a browser.

As someone who might have 5-10 tabs open at a time, having to stop what I'm doing and go hunting for some random fucking tab that decides to autoplay content.... for fuck sake that's just terrible and a great way to piss off people when you are trying to sell them on something (a video game in this example)

Very annoying that this video seems to auto-play on my web browser when I open the page.

not sure if it's the [H] or the person hosting or who made the video -- but NOTHING pisses me off more than videos or ads that automatically play in a browser.

As someone who might have 5-10 tabs open at a time, having to stop what I'm doing and go hunting for some random fucking tab that decides to autoplay content.... for fuck sake that's just terrible and a great way to piss off people when you are trying to sell them on something (a video game in this example)

It's not just you, happened to me earlier too. Walked away from my computer earlier and came back to find it playing this video. Took me a while to find the offending tab because I had assumed 'the OCP would not do something like this. I have a feeling it's an accident.

Non-Issue.

Both sets of hardware offer enthusiast level gaming and anything worth playing will fully support both.

Meh. I don't think it's will make a diference. To me this means that PC as a platform will be more optimized. Win win for everyone.

Battlefield bad company 2 was just pure awesome. I never really got into battlefield3....but BF4 actually looks interesting...

Back