Intel SSD Data Center S3500 Series Gives Cloud Computing Major Boost

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel Corporation today announced the Intel® Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series, its latest solid-state drive (SSD) for data centers and cloud computing. Designed for read-intensive applications such as Web hosting, cloud computing and data center virtualization, the Intel DC S3500 Series is an ideal replacement for traditional hard disk drives (HDD), allowing data centers to save significant costs by moving toward an all-SSD storage model.

All SSDs are designed for read-intensive operations, no news there, and therein lies the problem. As soon as you need random write performance SSDs can suddenly perform much lower than spinning storage. 4k random writes bring an SSD down to 40MB/s (if you are lucky to not have bought one that can only do 20MB/s) whereas traditional storage happily writes at 80-100MB/s.

As soon as you need random write performance SSDs can suddenly perform much lower than spinning storage. 4k random writes bring an SSD down to 40MB/s (if you are lucky to not have bought one that can only do 20MB/s) whereas traditional storage happily writes at 80-100MB/s.

What? In that scenario the hard drive will be writing most likely at less than 1 MB/s.

$115 for a 1.8-inch 80GB drive and $979 for a 2.5-inch 800GB drive. It is also accompanied by a 5-year warranty.

Pass, no way I'll pay over $1 per gig. I'm still sore about my 256mb drive that cost my $500

I would expect 2 to 4 times the expected lifetime of a regular hard drive..

I still have servers using SCSI drives that are over 9 years old.
Not sure I'd trust the current SSD's to last that long.

I have an 80 meg quantum fireball running on my Amiga now for about 18 or 19 years lol.

Just did a bunch of research, as far as I can tell the enterprise drives have a significantly higher MTBF, but that's about it. I understand how critical enterprise data is, but I wouldn't say it's worth more than double per gb especially when there should be a very robust backup system in place.

Back