Developer Accuses Microsoft Of Making "Rape Jokes"

HardOCP News

[H] News
Jonathan Blow, the developer behind games like Braid, accused Microsoft of "making rape jokes" during E3. Maybe I'm just dumb but I'm not sure how this guy saw a rape joke in this exchange.

"Let's bring a woman on stage and joke about how she's bad at games, and say stuff like 'relax, just let it happen, it'll be over soon'"??

How can you NOT see it? That line would be what a rapist can say... maybe if you add in... "and you won't be hurt" it'll make it more obvious.

How can you NOT see it? That line would be what a rapist can say... maybe if you add in... "and you won't be hurt" it'll make it more obvious.

What YOU decide to read in-between the lines says more about you than the person talking.

Limp dicked hipster crybaby trying to score points with the "rape is everywhere" crazy crowd.

He is probably pissed that he didn't get a dev machine.

Was it me or did the fireball sound like it stole the Street Fighter sound effects.

As to the "rape joke" uhhh sure why not, it was a "rape joke" now maybe if people would untwist their panties a bit and get on with more important things in life we can all be happier. Guess what Daniel Tosh still has his show, and it was way worse than this... because he actually said something along the lines of "wouldn't it be funny if she got raped ..."

this whole dudes being a white knight when there is no need or reason to be one is really getting fucking annoying.

Hey look at how progressive and into women's rights I am!!!

If I was a chick guy's that pull this kind of shit would annoy me more than the actual sleazeballs.

lol I didn't even pay attention to it since this is casual gamer speak. Actually mild compared to what me and my friends usually say during fight games.

Well, it's more like one person who works for Microsoft rather than all of Microsoft making those kinds of comments. Anyhow, yeah it's pretty obvious the implication is there, but that's one of those things you just expect men, who are terminally stupid about sex, to blurt out while attempting to be funny. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Well I remember watching some documentary about serial rapists and the women fought the attacker for a bit until stabbed in the shoulder. Then they capitulated by forming a mental block to what was happening to them by saying something very similar to this. Then at the end of the attack the rapist made the choice to kill or let them live and usually he killed them all. One lived to tell the story and eventually bring the rapist to justice.

I think this one woman's boyfriend was going to be killed if she didn't stop fighting. It was the biggest rush for the rapist as he had defeated the weak boyfriend and made the young woman make a choice. Either "Let it happen and it will be over soon" or watch the attacker gut her BF. Either way she was going to be raped. The rapist was a standard dad with wife and 2 kids and a well paying job. That's why he got away with it for so long.

So yes it is a standard rape joke. Guys I play games with crack jokes like this all the time when they are owning someone. I will admit that lots of people use these words as flippantly as they do the N word for example. Of course not everyone that uses it is a rapist or racist. But you'd think that they would take the time to think about what they're saying before they say it. I guess we've become immune to bad etiquette in today's society. Sign of the times I suppose.

I guess we've become immune to bad etiquette in today's society. Sign of the times I suppose.

I don't know if it's the time period as much as it's the culture of lower class society. In Victorian era London, there were cultured, proper gentlemen that represented the upper class and social elite. They were trained from an early age to act in a dignified, respectful manner. On the other hand, the lower classes were crude and obnoxious. What you're seeing might be that absolute loweset class crudeness moving up the social ladder somewhat to the relatively new middle class that is aspiring to be like their working class counterparts moreso than reaching for the social stratums above. They model their behavior accordingly and act like dumb little boys sometimes.

Well I remember watching some documentary about serial rapists and the women fought the attacker for a bit until stabbed in the shoulder. Then they capitulated by forming a mental block to what was happening to them by saying something very similar to this. Then at the end of the attack the rapist made the choice to kill or let them live and usually he killed them all. One lived to tell the story and eventually bring the rapist to justice.

I think this one woman's boyfriend was going to be killed if she didn't stop fighting. It was the biggest rush for the rapist as he had defeated the weak boyfriend and made the young woman make a choice. Either "Let it happen and it will be over soon" or watch the attacker gut her BF. Either way she was going to be raped. The rapist was a standard dad with wife and 2 kids and a well paying job. That's why he got away with it for so long.

So yes it is a standard rape joke. Guys I play games with crack jokes like this all the time when they are owning someone. I will admit that lots of people use these words as flippantly as they do the N word for example. Of course not everyone that uses it is a rapist or racist. But you'd think that they would take the time to think about what they're saying before they say it. I guess we've become immune to bad etiquette in today's society. Sign of the times I suppose.

You and the Braid guy should go hang out and listen to some Justin Bieber songs. You can discuss your disgust with the rape culture over a nice bottle of unicorn tears.

I don't know if it's the time period as much as it's the culture of lower class society. In Victorian era London, there were cultured, proper gentlemen that represented the upper class and social elite. They were trained from an early age to act in a dignified, respectful manner. On the other hand, the lower classes were crude and obnoxious. What you're seeing might be that absolute loweset class crudeness moving up the social ladder somewhat to the relatively new middle class that is aspiring to be like their working class counterparts moreso than reaching for the social stratums above. They model their behavior accordingly and act like dumb little boys sometimes.

And if you actually believe that, I have a plot of land on Mars to sell you that will one day be worth TRILLIONS!

Sigh. Here we go.

It was a stupid thing to say as a representative of the company. Anyone with half a brain could see the double meaning in that context. If it was scripted, that's even worse.

But whatever. Par for the course in the gaming community.

It's a terrible rape joke with only one possible meaning. That Steve or anyone else on this site doesn't recognize that is part of a huge problem.

What kind of TV shows have you been watching?

And if you actually believe that, I have a plot of land on Mars to sell you that will one day be worth TRILLIONS!

Country music, NASCAR, and American football pretty much show what I'm saying is true. I know it kinda stinks to see it happening and lots of people want to pretend it isn't the way things are, but I think the middle classes are sort of downtrodden and they just don't see a means of escape except downward toward the lower classes. :(

What kind of TV shows have you been watching?

I mostly watch the BBC drama, but I don't even own a TV so it's all like computer-y DVD junk I order online from the BBC site. It takes _forever_ for them to release stuff to the US which stinks.

It's a terrible rape joke with only one possible meaning. That Steve or anyone else on this site doesn't recognize that is part of a huge problem.

That's absolutely ridiculous, one possible meaning?

Seriously?

My dad used to say something almost identical when he was beating my ass as a kid. Did I think my dad was gonna rape me?

I have probably said something similar while playing games with my kids, and no, mister presumptuous, it never once crossed my mind to think of it in terms of rape.

What is a huge problem is that some people can only see one meaning, and not the one intended.

I'm not saying that it has one possible meaning, but one of the meanings is DEFINITELY a rape joke. I see it this way, because here in Texas, we had a politician likening rape to bad weather, saying "if it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it."

in the context of kicking someone's ass in a video game there is no reason to infer rape.

that's just a stupid leap in logic.

English is not my mother language, but that does sound like a rape joke. There may be other meanings, like spanking a kid's ass, but still not the best text to use in a corporate product presentation.

par for the course.

It is like the "nine dolphins" picture. If you have a pure mind an no prior knowledge of sex, you only see the nine dolphins in this picture:

946677_10152868031740214_1566974033_n.jpg

If you think like a rapist or want to see rape jokes, I guess you'll find them.

Last edited:
Back