Netflix ISP Speed Index

Something seems off with those numbers to me. As a former Cablevision-Optimum customer and current Verizon FiOS customer I think the two should be switched on that list.

Those average speeds are all pretty low since they're taking into account all of the people who simply want "high speed" internet and get the cheapest thing possible.
Google Fiber's average is still under 4MB per second...which is slower than most wireless carriers.

I don't know how they can say these providers are the actual issue... I would guess most people are using wifi to connect to their router, and if they are getting 3mbps because of range, it will be off..

Google Fiber is 5mbps for the free version... How is their speed lower than that?

Verizon Fios's slowest speed is 15mb down..

I know their numbers could be because of network congestion, but I would guess the 'throttling' is inside the premise.

Since Netflix speed is capped at 4.0 Mbps they might need to look at a higher cap with all the high speed services available

There is a difference between the speeds that are possible for a particular ISP, and the speeds that are the most popular because the customers are cheap-asses.

Most on Comcast are probably sitting at ~6Mbps, maybe as high as ~12, but there are tiers available up to 100Mbps in most DOCSIS 3.0 locations now.

Also, why do they have AT&T DSL and AT&T UVerse separate? UVerse is VDSL for the most part. If they are going to allow companies like AT&T to have their results segregated like that, then they should list Comcast DOCSIS 2.0 and DOCSIS 3.0 subscribers separately. DOCSIS 2.0 I think tops out at ~27Mbps or something like that, which is why they switched to 3. Same as AT&T using new tech for faster speeds.

encoding and non-HD streams not requiring full bandwidth, etc, could be the reason why the bit rates are so low.
eg, i could have an ISP that only provides 100mbps connections to customers (and no throttling), but if my netflix stream only ever needs 3mbps, then I'm guessing that's all the data would show for the average usage.

IIRC from previous iterations of this torrent of "this doesn't make sense", is that this is the average of all performance. So the number includes any ISP throttling in there, plus any overselling/under provisioning/engineering issues with the network. It also probably includes any issues by the in-home networking the customer has done on their own.

I'm on optimum, and my transfer rates are great... except during prime time hours when netflix and friends kicks the crap out of the network. IT easily cuts it in half, which would be about 8-10 megabit, but I suspect they also do some traffic shaping for the streaming stuff.

IIRC from previous iterations of this torrent of "this doesn't make sense", is that this is the average of all performance. So the number includes any ISP throttling in there, plus any overselling/under provisioning/engineering issues with the network. It also probably includes any issues by the in-home networking the customer has done on their own.

I'm on optimum, and my transfer rates are great... except during prime time hours when netflix and friends kicks the crap out of the network. IT easily cuts it in half, which would be about 8-10 megabit, but I suspect they also do some traffic shaping for the streaming stuff.

Optimum has Netflix content servers on the local Network. I would call them at customer service when you are getting 8 down, every ticket that comes in helps, squeaky wheel gets the grease.

All this tells me is that some isps are slightly better at delivering Netflix nodef crap better than others.

I get 25mbps sustained in both directions with fios. Outside of Google I'm unaware of a national isp that does that.

ISPs who installed the Netflix cache servers have jumped up on this list significantly. That may explain so of the "nonsensical" rankings people think they notice.

They are just looking at the average speeds that their customers get on those services, not the overall speed of the customer's service.

The thing is, the ISPs that are on top are usually the ones who signed up for Netflix's Open Connect Content Delivery Network. This is why ISPs like Cablevision, Suddenlink and Cox jumped in the ratings while others like Verizon and Comcast dropped several places.

It amazes me that both Cox and Charter rank higher than FiOS.

I've had all three, and I'd universally rank Cox and Charter as close to toilet water, and FiOS as the second coming of internet.

Charter is really slipping, but I know why. Their speeds have been staying the same and their prices have been going up for people with just internet, trying to force them into a bundle deal with cable and phone service. If there was a viable alternative in my area I'd be switching providers. As it the only AT&T has a service even half as fast and just as expensive. So it looks like I'm stuck for a while.

Charter is really slipping, but I know why. Their speeds have been staying the same and their prices have been going up for people with just internet, trying to force them into a bundle deal with cable and phone service. If there was a viable alternative in my area I'd be switching providers. As it the only AT&T has a service even half as fast and just as expensive. So it looks like I'm stuck for a while.

Verizon FiOS is the same way.

It's actually $20 CHEAPER per month to get a bundle with TV and Internet than to get the same speed internet alone.

But my other options are Comcast or DSL, neither of which I want.

Those speeds seem *very* low.

My ISP just removed all speed options below 10Mb/s, meaning 10Mb is now the minimum you can get.

I just received this email from Cox, my ISP.
Cox is giving you 2x faster download speeds for your High Speed Internet!

Your download speeds are now up to 50 Mbps, and we've also increased your upload speeds up to 10 Mbps. With this new speed upgrade you can:

I was at 24 Mbps down (30 Mbps turbo for the first 20 MB of each file download). So this basically is double my previous speed. The upload increase is what I really needed! :D

This kind of effort explains why Cox was #3 on the list of fastest ISP's prior to this latest round of upgrades. I have a feeling Google Fiber's expansion is lighting a fire under the collective butts of the other ISP's.

I was at 24 Mbps down (30 Mbps turbo for the first 20 MB of each file download). So this basically is double my previous speed. The upload increase is what I really needed! :D

This kind of effort explains why Cox was #3 on the list of fastest ISP's prior to this latest round of upgrades. I have a feeling Google Fiber's expansion is lighting a fire under the collective butts of the other ISP's.

Something is going on, that's for sure.

My Cable Co, CableOne just redone all their cable Internet packages.

They used to offer a 5Mbps "unlimited" package and a 50Mbps 50GB monthly cap, 100GB w/ a bundle. Now they offer a 50Mbps w/ 300GB cap, 60Mbps w/ 400GB and a 70Mbps w/ 500GB Internet packages. No more 5Mbps... but you will be able to keep the old packages. They only upgrade/change your speed if you ask them too. Had I never called, I would still be on the old, old 10Mbps "unlimited" package.

That's crazy dude! What city are you in?

Charter just recently upped their bundle and standalone speed minimums to 30Mbps. I was the same way in that I got an email from Charter saying they were upgrading my speed from 15Mbps to 30Mbps for the same price.

Now here is the funny part... All of Charter's commercials in my area constantly spout how they are ranked the fastest ISP in the nation. Haha.

I had a similar experience in my old town when FiOS came to town.

Suddenly - overnight - my Comcast got a enormous speed boost without a price change. I still wound up switching to FiOS, but it illustrates that they do this town by town, neighborhood by neighborhood.

They are well aware that people shop against what is available in their zip, and that information is easily mineable if they go to competitors websites.

This is why I don't expect Google Fiber being rolled out to Kansas City (and was it Austin,TX? Can't remember right now) to ave an overall impact on nationwide speeds. Competition is measured market by market, and the ISP's fiercely defend their markets, even if it means legislating against the competition (as in the laws in the Carolinas restricting community broadband). being able to rip off consumers with over-inflated prices for low speeds is their cash cow, and they will stop at nothing to fight off any challenge to the status quo. :rolleyes:

Also, why do they have AT&T DSL and AT&T UVerse separate? UVerse is VDSL for the most part. If they are going to allow companies like AT&T to have their results segregated like that, then they should list Comcast DOCSIS 2.0 and DOCSIS 3.0 subscribers separately. DOCSIS 2.0 I think tops out at ~27Mbps or something like that, which is why they switched to 3. Same as AT&T using new tech for faster speeds.

AT&T UVerse was originally fiber to the premises, and DSL was AT&T DSL. My neighbor a while ago was like "I have UVerse" and I was like "No you don't" and he told me they changed the name of his 3.0Mbps DSL package to "UVerse". Some genius decision by somebody in marketing over there at AT&T.

AT&T UVerse was originally fiber to the premises, and DSL was AT&T DSL. My neighbor a while ago was like "I have UVerse" and I was like "No you don't" and he told me they changed the name of his 3.0Mbps DSL package to "UVerse". Some genius decision by somebody in marketing over there at AT&T.

I am pretty sure it's always been fiber to the CO, then VDSL to the resident with Uverse, they just changed the name because of all the bad rep DSL was getting.

I am pretty sure it's always been fiber to the CO, then VDSL to the resident with Uverse, they just changed the name because of all the bad rep DSL was getting.
That's what I thought too, of course they also charge for tiny tier speeds just like DSL, but then add some faster VDSL speeds ("up to" 24 Mbps *snicker*)

Back