LG Shows Off 55-Inch Curved OLED TV

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you were one of the ones to pre-order the LG curved 55” OLED HDTV back in April, your order is ready. :D LG has announced that the shipments will begin in a matter of days so get your checkbook warmed up. The $13,500 dollar price tag is not for the faint of heart, but that’s the going rate for trendsetters these days.

I wish there were affordable curved 55 inch lcd monitors so I could build an eyefinity setup with them......

I think one would be good, wouldn't even need to mess with eyefinity, heck yeah. Like most here, I just don't want to pay the high price for one.

Since when did LG become the new Sony with their rock bottom prices? Do these idiots have any inkling of history?

Unless you have a private one-man sanctum built specifically around tv viewing, I don't really get curved TVs.

OLED: cool
Curved: kinda cool
Ultra light/thin: very cool

13K+taxes/shipping for a 1080p screen? PASS

By the way this thing would look like ass mounted on any wall (IMO)

Wait 6 months and they will be 1/2 price with the way technology marches on. The fact it's not 4K is the real downside for me. If you can buy a 4K TV now for 7 grand, is OLED curved really worth 7 more AND without 4K support?

if you think about it, we all sit in front a screen, and only the sliver in the middle of the screen is aimed at our face, this is just an attempt make the outside edges aim at our face, enabling us to sit closer or have bigger TVs with smaller audiences. And we will need to sit closer in order to see all the new pixels that will soon be displayed.

when we have multiple people around a flat screen, they all experience distortion of part of the picture, and yet our minds can still comprehend it. this curving will require an adjustment on our part, however, this should be no worse than transitioning from the old rounded CRTs (with edges that were curved away from us) to flat screen TVs, even though it will decrease the TVs overall viewing angle.

Curving the screen lessens the degree of distortion for those inside the tv's "arc of view" where most (large) TV viewing happens, while sacrificing the TVs viewability for the audience outside the arc of view.

IM COINING "AOV" FOR TVs :D

I'd imagine the engineering it takes for a curved screen is much tougher than for a flat screen. Anyway, it's new and I hope it makes it way to 4k screens in the future.

can the united states "afford" replace current 1080p tvs resolution with 4k screens technologies in this economy?

Will this TV have burn in like my Galaxy Note 2? I left that phone on alarm clock mode for only 2 months with a white background and large black lettering. It is now permanently darker wherever the white was.

Ok that looks cool. I just wonder if the IQ compares to plasma and how concious you need to be of burn in.

OLED: cool
The fact it's not 4K is the real downside for me.

I looked at the Sony 4K yesterday, and was probably 8 feet from it, and I couldn't really tell the difference from 1080p. You can if you get closer, but then you start to see a lot of compression artifacts and it's not typical to view a 55" TV at 12". 4K has it's place in projectors, computer monitors and 80" and up televisions, but not at 55".

Back