Apple Limits Wireless Speeds On Some U.S. Carriers?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I could see carriers pulling crap like this but why would Apple do it?

Joseph Brown, operator of the Web site iTweakiOS, claims to have discovered code on iPhones and iPads operating on Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint that effectively caps the data speeds that can be achieved on the carriers' networks. Brown took snapshots of the code, which he said specifically limits the iPhone 5 on AT&T to considerably slower wireless data speeds than the device is capable of reaching.

The new iPhone 6 can go even faster on 4g, thanks to the new magic unicorn processor.

Or At&T made a deal with Apple for them to rate limit via the OS, not the carrier's side.

I recall sometimes a few years ago that everyone talked about how iPhones were destroying cellular data infrastructure with the massive increase of smartphone users, and that was one reason Verizon wouldn't pick up the iPhone. I'm thinking that the code was perhaps a part of an agreement between Apple and some carriers to help alleviate the increase in bandwidth usage. Legacy code perhaps, seeing how bandwidth is improved and Android isn't limiting itself?

And that is one of many reasons I'm switching to T-Mobile next month. Farewell, Verizon.

The new iPhone 6 can go even faster on 4g, thanks to the new magic unicorn processor.
I suppose that marketing does sound better than, "Revolutionary game changing iPhone6, now as fast as every other 4G phone has been for years". :D

because bandwidth=money, and the entire 'high speed network' fallacy is no less a sham and rip-off then basic internet service provision. They've got us bent over and reaching for our ankles, and there simply aren't enough of us who have the knowledge and access to know it's going on to do anything about it.

"Mmmmm... that's a good cracker, great cracker... best cracker I ever had....."

"Dude... it's a fucking Saltine, get over it"

I recall sometimes a few years ago that everyone talked about how iPhones were destroying cellular data infrastructure with the massive increase of smartphone users, and that was one reason Verizon wouldn't pick up the iPhone. I'm thinking that the code was perhaps a part of an agreement between Apple and some carriers to help alleviate the increase in bandwidth usage. Legacy code perhaps, seeing how bandwidth is improved and Android isn't limiting itself?
I seem to remember reading this too, much more with ATT.

I'm not sure this is what happened. But if you even out the carriers, then no one is rushing to any one carrier for best performance. In the mean time they could hold off buying an iPhone altogether until they can also get the 'best' carrier.

In other words, remove an anxiety factor in the purchase of the phone to sell more phones.

Actually, i first heard about that when people were comparing american phones to Japanese ones and wondering why american phones was behind. It eventually came out that the cell companies were keeping them out of the country because of their bandwidth would crash their systems.

Steve jobs somehow managed to convince them to allow the iPhone (Or specifically, AT&T). Of course, a few months later, the iPhone did overload and crash their network (and atleast a couple of times afterwards i believe).

XML is not code. Unless the XML is backed by code taking action then it's just text.

I don't understand why people are giving these morons the time of day.

Yes, the networks have throttling mechanisms. ALL networks have throttling mechanisms. It's an essential congestion mitigation tool. The forum you're looking at now? Delivered over TCP. Which uses throttling mechanics. Quick, someone let CNET know that NEWS! IS! HAPPENING!

Congestion throttling is normal and expected. Band preference is selected for a reason. And crapping up EVDO is akin to kicking a puppy -- leave Sprint's network alone; it's terrible enough as it is.

Screwing with deliberately selected provisioning just to squeeze out another hundred kilobits per second, network be damned, is just being a dick.

Back