Best 27 inch 1920x1080 Monitor?

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
Looking for a 27 inch monitor that is 1920x1080 and all matte. Bezel screen etc. I can't seem to find any that are not glossy.

What are you going to be using the screens for?

I've got two PLANAR PX2710MW I use at work, and for a set of cheap 27 inch screens they have been pretty decent. I've had them for about 18 months now and not had any issues. We bought 6 of these for work, just to try out, and no one else has complained or had any issues either. They do have the matte finish on the screens. Looks like they discontinued them however, but here is the model number for the screens that replaced them PLANAR PXL2760MW.

I know there are far better screens out there, just wanted to say these haven't been bad. And if 1080p is all your wanting, for $250 I think they are a pretty decent buy.

Last edited:
Sorry to revive this old thread but my search mojo suxs.

Anyways I'm looking to upgrade my mom's screen from 22" (1680x1050) to 27" (1920x1080). Don't want to go 1440p as the text/icons would be too small.

-under $300 (unless it's super nice).
-IPS.
-decent for games (for when I use it).

-NO movie/TV or PS4/xbone gaming.

THXs for the quick response NCX. You always have a wealth of good info.

EDIT: looks like the above monitor comes with a VGA cable and not HDMI? Why not both. Would probably cost Samsung $0.50 to include HDMI. No biggie I guess.

Last edited:
Any other suggestions beside the one NCX made above? Maybe something available at WorstBuy or Fry's for local pickup?

So, not best but best under $300?

That's tough. I impulse bought a ViewSonic VX2770Smh-LED from a small B&M and hated the stand so much I took it back. They tried to get me to pay a restocking fee.
Other than the stand, it was VERY nice, which is why the dudes at the store were pissed I brought it back.
According to this [H] user review it's probably the way to go. Plus it's got a parrot on it. The fact the price hasn't gone down in 2 years is a good sign.

If it were me, I'd be saving up the extra money whatever I had to do and getting the new 27" Benq VA monitor. the EW2740L. But it's more like $410-500 depending where you order one from, and it's not IPS so I'm only mentioning it because my hunch is that it is the best overall 27" monitor at 1080p currently available.

Honestly, I think VA is far better if it can be had, and luckily you have a good cheap option available to you in the 27" department with this Acer G276HLGbd.

Last edited:
Maybe something available at WorstBuy or Fry's for local pickup?

The Samsung is better than all of the 1080p IPS panels they carry which aren't that much cheaper. Make sure to read about the side effects caused by LED PWM Dimming before buying a monitor for you mother.

Viewsonic and shopping links

The Viewsonic is decent but it uses LED PWM Dimming. The Samsung is definitely worth 60$ more.

Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread

The EW2740L only costs 300$ in Canada, it's definitely not worth 400$, especially since the Asus VN279Q sells for 250$ in the US and is pretty similar.

Last edited:
The EW2740L only costs 300$ in Canada, it's definitely not worth 400$, especially since the Asus VN279Q sells for 250$ in the US and is pretty similar.
Tough to argue with $150 in savings for same stuff. I'm curious about these 28" Asus VAs. One of them has DVI. What do you think the very best ~27" VA panel is, NCX? I can't remember if I've asked that already. I guess you'd say that Samsung, but I'm wondering if there are any weird expensive outliers that aren't on that best reviewed AMVA thread. Anyone else is more than welcome to join the discussion, but I don't think very many people care about 1080p at 27". After continuously downsizing from large displays I do see the wisdom in smaller pixels :p

There is an interesting LG on the horizon. 27MP75HM. Its probably PWM free and advertised as flicker free. It passed the camera shutter time test, at least (overclockers.ru). Not sure how IPS stacks up against PLS in this size, though. Should have similar AG coating. PLS usually have less glow, I believe.

From reviews the 28" VA panels seems kinda crappy compared to AUO's AMVA panels. I lean toward EW2740L cause it has a regular solid stand and dims to very low brightness. But other than that its probably very similar to the others with PWM as a divider: ASUS have it at high frequency and some cheaper BenQ models might still have low frequency PWM.

Lots of good info/ideas/suggestions. Much thanks.

My $300 price target isn't set in stone but didn't want to go too much higher as that would get us in the relm of 1440p monitors. Like I said above, I'd like to avoid 1440p as I want text/icon size a bit bigger for the "nearly-80-yo-eyes" that will be looking at the screen.

What do you think the very best ~27" VA panel is, NCX? I can't remember if I've asked that already.

The Liyama PRAD recently reviewed (posted about it here) seems like the best A-MVA option but Liyama products are not available in North America. I would pick the EW2740L since it is cheaper than the VN279Q, offers similar performance, is more aesthetically pleasing and I don't trust Asus's warranty.

Playerwares has also reviewed the LG 27M275HM. They score the S27D590P higher than the LG which uses a "frame-less," casing which has an inner matte black bezel which makes the blacks look light.

The Liyama PRAD recently reviewed (posted about it here) seems like the best A-MVA option but Liyama products are not available in North America. I would pick the EW2740L since it is cheaper than the VN279Q, offers similar performance, is more aesthetically pleasing and I don't trust Asus's warranty.

Playerwares has also reviewed the LG 27M275HM. They score the S27D590P higher than the LG which uses a "frame-less," casing which has an inner matte black bezel which makes the blacks look light.

Thanks for all the invaluable info NCX, you're great and the reason why I bought my Samsung S23A700D in Summer of 2012! Been great so far for gaming and otherwise.
I'm mulling over getting a 1080p monitor that has non-TN colors/viewing angles and would do it for gaming, although I'm not sure how I'd react losing 120hz...
Regarding the new Samsungs, S27D590P seems like a good option, I was wondering if the S24D590P (24") model is worse or doesn't live up to why you recommend its larger brother.

I bought my S27D590P at Best Buy and it's fantastic. And of course it's now $50 cheaper than when I bought it, April 11. $280 is a good price.

The only real flaw is the non-adjustable stand. Comes with a VGA cable. I guess Samsung doesn't include an HDMI cable so retail stores can sell some $65, "gold-plated-uber-hi-speed-HD-certified-monster-POS-HDMI" cable. So be aware you'll need to pick up a $3-5 HDMI cable.

No obvious dead or stuck, pixels or sub pixels afaik. Very little glare. Thanks again for the heads up NCX.

Just thought I'd post to confirm how nice this monitor is.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm considering buying that same monitor, but there's a bunch of things I'm worried about. How's the glow in the corners and the stand seems rather flimsy and wobbly...is that the case?

Back