Haswell Hits 6.5GHz On LN2

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASRock seems to be having a little fun with Intel's latest and greatest processor. The company cranked up a new Haswell 4770K processor to the 6.5GHz mark using liquid nitrogen. :cool:

Using this technique, the team from Asrock managed to overclock a 3.5GHz Core i7-4770K to 6.5GHz at Computex. This high-end Haswell processor is paired with an Asrock Z87M motherboard, which supports 2,800MHz DDR3 memory modules (RAM).

It's benching wonderfully, it's scored higher than any other platform in USB device incompatibility issues :cool:

Too bad it still isn't as fast as the xbox one right? ;)

Looking forward to these. My 2500K has served me well but damn this new stuff looks sexy!

This kind of backs up my hunch about the low overclocks on Haswell we've been seeing. Intel seems to have cut down on leakage to the point that, while it makes for more efficient operation at stock speeds, it limits overclocking under good cooling. Leaky transistors make for the best overclocking under LN.

This kind of backs up my hunch about the low overclocks on Haswell we've been seeing. Intel seems to have cut down on leakage to the point that, while it makes for more efficient operation at stock speeds, it limits overclocking under good cooling. Leaky transistors make for the best overclocking under LN.

That's a good observation.

Maybe if we beat on it hard enough (increase the voltage?) or maybe with time you can cause current leakage to increase. Dangerous but hey...

wasnt there some news lately about how haswell retail unit was hard to overclock and the presample was eaiser?

Maybe the fact it has a new design of on chip video processor that is twice as fast as the previous CPU interation has something to do with the overclocking potential.

Maybe the fact it has a new design of on chip video processor that is twice as fast as the previous CPU interation has something to do with the overclocking potential.

Intel is heading in two directions and neither concerns high clock speeds, unfortunately.

One is this system on a chip that they and AMD are pushing for the mass market.
The other is the "stack-able cores" strategy for servers and hi-end computing.

Where does that leave us? Not sure.

Leaky transistors and long instruction pipelines. Although I don't think Haswell got any shorter than IB really, but longer pipeline chips like Bulldozer/Piledriver and Netburst-kind of stuff do much better under LN2.

Intel is heading in two directions and neither concerns high clock speeds, unfortunately.

One is this system on a chip that they and AMD are pushing for the mass market.
The other is the "stack-able cores" strategy for servers and hi-end computing.

Where does that leave us? Not sure.

It leaves us with moderate 5%-10% performance gains every 2-3 years OR stagnant at the current levels of performance.

Too bad ASRock burned me (not a figure of speech) when it comes to the Z77 Extreme 4 and how it reports Vcore. Won't be supporting or buying any of their products again in the future. The motherboard says you're getting 1.20v when really with a DMM your CPU is being fed 1.25v. That's a huge freaking difference and people who think they're stable at like 4.8Ghz 1.325v are really getting closer to like 1.4v. That's borderline killing your chip.

The focus on clock speeds when comparing AMD to Intel is silly.

Remember when Intel had Pentiums clocked at 3Ghz which performed worse than AMD chips clocked at 2Ghz?

A Hz is not a Hz....

*yawn* Wake me up when this can fit in a pocket and last a couple of days on a single charge. Or even just run on the heatsink that comes with the processor so someone could, I don't know, actually finish typing an e-mail before they ran out of that coolant junk and the computer stopped working.

Suicide runs are fun!

That tower looks like it has a Borg infection.

Stuff about CPU's...

gafom.gif

*yawn* Wake me up when this can fit in a pocket and last a couple of days on a single charge. Or even just run on the heatsink that comes with the processor so someone could, I don't know, actually finish typing an e-mail before they ran out of that coolant junk and the computer stopped working.

:rolleyes:

So over 2 years later and Skylake is at 5.81GHz.
Tick tock tick tock, I think this clock is running backwards.

So over 2 years later and Skylake is at 5.81GHz.
Tick tock tick tock, I think this clock is running backwards.

How is it backwards? Besides like a billion different variables between each mindlessly pointless test done by different groups of people in different conditions with different equipment, the speed of a processor while running on a totally unsustainable, impractical cooling system has like no relevance at all to anything whatsoever since it proves nothing and accomplishes nothing. Who cares if it's eleventy quadrillion terrahertz or eleventy-six quadrillion terrahertz since neither processor will operate under those conditions under normal circumstances?

A more useful comparison (but still a pretty pointless one IMO) is running benchmarks that measure the overall gain in performance at factory clock speeds, including power consumption into the equation. Reviews like this one...

http://anandtech.com/show/9482/intel-broadwell-pt2-overclocking-ipc

...offer lots more meaningful and relevant information than just saying, "Oh lookit! This old one has more googleplexes and trickle-jangles than the new one when you pour a super cold liquid on it!"

Back