Strip old drivers before new install - both Nvidia

Prozac1964

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone. I'm wondering if it would be advisable to uninstall the current Nvidia drivers/software - it's the latest for this card I'm replacing: a GT240. I'm replacing it with a GTX 650. Or could I just pull the old card out, insert the new one and go to the EVGA/Nvidia websites and get the latest driver when I boot up the machine.

I'm not sure..... Any advice? :)

I actually have the same question.

I don't think it should matter too much though? I think both options would probably work, but I can predict people will say to uninstall and do a clean install.

Download the current drivers and install. Do a clean installation by checking the box toward the bottom of the software list box. This will wipe current drivers and install the newest for your card.

Usually you can plug in and play if you have the most recent nvidia driver(for cards still being supported), but I personally would wipe drivers from the previous card if upgrading to a better card.

Download the current drivers and install. Do a clean installation by checking the box toward the bottom of the software list box. This will wipe current drivers and install the newest for your card.

Ok, stupid question here probably, are you suggesting putting the card in then just start your computer, go to Nvidia and download and install the latest drivers for the card. Then as you install the new drivers, just check the clean install box, and you're good to go?

You should be fine just plugging in the card, and Windows will probably load generic drivers for the card until you hit the desktop and it will find a more suitable replacement (if you have Windows Update set to download drivers from the internet).

Once that's done, just do as already suggested and install the latest set for your flavor of OS.

If you are paranoid about it, download a driver sweeper such as Driver Fusion, uninstall all of the drivers via the Windows Add/Remove Programs, uninstall via Driver Fusion, then shutdown and install your new card, then install the newest set of drivers for the new card upon startup.

Drivers and possible driver problems aren't what they used to be :)

It should also be noted that a "Clean Installation" doesn't wipe all of the old drivers, it only wipes all of the custom settings in the Control Panel.

If your driver was current, it is the most current one already. Just slap the card in there and go about your business.

Ok, stupid question here probably, are you suggesting putting the card in then just start your computer, go to Nvidia and download and install the latest drivers for the card. Then as you install the new drivers, just check the clean install box, and you're good to go?

Not a stupid question, but yes. Like others said. Even if you had old drivers you would be fine because windows will update when it loads the desktop, which I don't care for since I have newest drivers and windows says I need to updat them still.

It should also be noted that a "Clean Installation" doesn't wipe all of the old drivers, it only wipes all of the custom settings in the Control Panel.
Yes, I thought as well as current driver.

Back