win 7 boot manager problems

robble

Supreme [H]ardness
I have 4 drives total in my system 2 spinners that previusly were boot drives and two ssds. 1 ssd has been myboot drive for months and the whole system was working fine.

recently had some issues going on that prompted me to reload windows today.

As I always do I disconnected all drives that I wasn't loading windows onto (left the same ssd I was runnign windows on hooked up).

did a fresh install of windows adn MB drivers. all seemed good. working ok. the i shutdown and hooked up the other drives. It seems to be trying to load off one of the old installs (but fails as I had deleted most of the windows directories from them).
Checked the boot sequence in the bios. it had windows boot manager as primary boot source. I changed that to the ssd i wanted it to boot. however when i have the ssd directly selected it says it's missing a file needed to boot (hal32 i think). it'll do that with only the one ssd i want to boot from connected too unless I tell it to boot from windows boot manager.

so, with just my main ssd connected it still boots fine if I have boot manager selected in bios as boot device. it fails to boot if boot manager is not selected as boot device and also fails to boot if either of the old hard drives is connected.

any ideas?

note: this is the same way i did the install when i first bought the ssd and loaded windows. I did not have this problem then.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :p
My system started getting flakier and flakier with all kind of crap happening. Turned out to be a bad motherboard! Bought an asus MV Thunderbird and its running like a champ.

Back