Retail 4770k from microcenter OC results

WinMan_x2000

Limp Gawd
First off I am a conservative OC'er. I am sure some might be able to get more out of the chip.

As the title says, this was a retail CPU purchased from microcenter on release day 6/3. I am running the Asus Sabertooth Z87 mb. I dont remember what memory I got. My cooler is a H110. All were done on prime95 with Real Temp 3.7.

Here it goes:

Stock Idle -> 28C
Stock Load -> 54C
4.2Ghz @ 1.2v Idle -> 36C
4.2Ghz @ 1.2v Load -> 75C

The CPU did not like booting at 45X. I could post and just barely get into windows. I did not try any numbers between 42x or 45x. To me 300mhz is not worth the effort with 75C at this multiplier. I also did not try any other voltages other than 1.2v. I am content for now and may even lower it down some until more data is in the wild for safe voltages along with potential delidding.

and here i was complaining about the 3770k's heat output @ >1.3v :D

Ya, I was hoping for more, but at the same time I did not give a shit. I was coming from a Q9450 @ 3.5 (i think, dont really remember). So, it was a non contest as to which platform to get. I likely am at the same performance as a SB 4.6-4.8 ish.

Its strange how I just feel meh about this. I think its a great processor and will suit me for quite a long time. I could have saved money and gone with SB but I wanted all the latest MB gadgets. More to come as I get more experience with this system.

I will likely delid once a few articles are surfacing about haswell delid results.

With no real pressure from AMD atm, what can you honestly expect? Intel can and will do as little as possible as long as it holds such a commanding lead. It's only good business sense to put out a new CPU line using as few resources as possible, that still forces people to buy new motherboards using new chipsets. It fattens up the profit margins and keeps the shareholders and bean counters content. If they were under any sort of pressure from AMD you would have seen a much bigger increase in abilities from these new CPUs. With the way the competition is now, Intel's now even under much pressure to bin the chips aggressively. For all we know, they could be pumping out the ok-but-not-spectacular bins to retail while building stock of the better binned chips for later release if needed.

Also keep in mind that these new chips are still using the mediocre TIM between the core and the heatspreaders. According to posts on XS, delidding and switching to that popular liquid TIM resulted in dramatic temp drops (a 30 degree Celcius difference running prime95 in one instance).

Last edited:
Ya, I was hoping for more, but at the same time I did not give a shit. I was coming from a Q9450 @ 3.5 (i think, dont really remember). So, it was a non contest as to which platform to get. I likely am at the same performance as a SB 4.6-4.8 ish.

Its strange how I just feel meh about this. I think its a great processor and will suit me for quite a long time. I could have saved money and gone with SB but I wanted all the latest MB gadgets. More to come as I get more experience with this system.

I will likely delid once a few articles are surfacing about haswell delid results.

Will you share your opinion on the transition from the q9450 to haswell? I'm sitting here with a q9450 @ 3.5 as well.

I'm getting pretty similar results. Retail 4770K from Microcenter yesterday with Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H mobo. Haven't played around with it too much, just messing with the clock multiplier and Vcore, but initial results are relatively low. Max I can get at 1.2V is 4.3GHz. 4.4GHz BSODs immediatley after starting Prime95, and 4.5 BSODs shortly after starting Windows (again, this is only at 1.2V, haven't tried any higher yet).

4.3 seems relatively stable though. ~75C in Prime95 (large FFTs), low 90's with Intel Burn Test. Made it through 20 runs of IntelBurnTest on "Very High" stress level without any errors. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo cooler and NZXT Switch 810 case for cooling.

Prime95 Screenshot:
yx5VErw.png

Last edited:
Man this kinda sucks. All the reviewers were warning us not to get our expectations up on overclocking this chip. Looks like they weren't wrong. I don't see too many reports of really high overclocks on this thing at least none that are stress tested ala P95, OCCT or IBT.

While the IHS was the primary limiting factor on Ivy Bridge, I believe it is only a contributing factor with Haswell.

I would guess from the results that the integrated voltage regulator has a very tight and steep efficiency curve (like most PSUs before the 80 Plus program caught on). If that's the case, power consumption will explode like a wildfire if you increase the voltage at all, and the IHS only makes it harder to deal with that extra heat.

I'm not sure what can be done if that is the case.

Man, I am even happier now that I have what some would call a "golden" 3770K considering the insanely low Vcore (1.272) needed for a full 24 hour Prime95 run along with my GPU loaded @ 100% to stress the WC loop to the max..

I was waiting for the results of the Haswell o/c'ing before I decided to see what my chip can really do..As I mentioned before in another thread, although I have de-lidded several 3770Ks with ease, the Intel Haswell slides that were shown @ IDC showed several surface mounted components(other then the die itself) which means that it is going to require a lot of extra caution when it comes to de-lidding..

I am hoping that it was a pure marketing ploy to deter de-lidding, but I doubt it..I guess we will see soon enough..

Man, I am even happier now that I have what some would call a "golden" 3770K considering the insanely low Vcore (1.272) needed for a full 24 hour Prime95 run along with my GPU loaded @ 100% to stress the WC loop to the max..

I was waiting for the results of the Haswell o/c'ing before I decided to see what my chip can really do..As I mentioned before in another thread, although I have de-lidded several 3770Ks with ease, the Intel Haswell slides that were shown @ IDC showed several surface mounted components(other then the die itself) which means that it is going to require a lot of extra caution when it comes to de-lidding..

I am hoping that it was a pure marketing ploy to deter de-lidding, but I doubt it..I guess we will see soon enough..

I've seen asus and linus video about overclocking: A good haswell can do 4.6 at 1.2V. Golden one is around 1.15v and a bad one is 1.35+V.They also mentioned that Haswell have a bigger varience on the silicone lotery so pretty sure a good Haswell can hit 4.8-4.9 at 1.275V

edit: that's also not considering deliding it: haswell got heat problems but it can be solved.

First off I am a conservative OC'er. I am sure some might be able to get more out of the chip.

As the title says, this was a retail CPU purchased from microcenter on release day 6/3. I am running the Asus Sabertooth Z87 mb. I dont remember what memory I got. My cooler is a H110. All were done on prime95 with Real Temp 3.7.

Here it goes:

Stock Idle -> 28C
Stock Load -> 54C
4.2Ghz @ 1.2v Idle -> 36C
4.2Ghz @ 1.2v Load -> 75C

The CPU did not like booting at 45X. I could post and just barely get into windows. I did not try any numbers between 42x or 45x. To me 300mhz is not worth the effort with 75C at this multiplier. I also did not try any other voltages other than 1.2v. I am content for now and may even lower it down some until more data is in the wild for safe voltages along with potential delidding.

That is supremely disappointing. I (still) want to get a 4770K just so I can give my IV system to a friend. I'm not looking for a super overclock. I thought that 4.2Ghz was like a pedestrian speed.

Man this kinda sucks. All the reviewers were warning us not to get our expectations up on overclocking this chip. Looks like they weren't wrong. I don't see too many reports of really high overclocks on this thing at least none that are stress tested ala P95, OCCT or IBT.

Please - I have no need/plans/desire on going that tall - and didn't plan on it with Ivy Bridge. If anything, with Haswell, the need is less than with Ivy OR Sandy due to greater IPS with Haswell. The greater issue I'll be confronting is being GPU-bottlenecked (since I'll be unable to upgrade there right away, regardless of which CPU+motherboard combo I choose), so at this point it's basically a draw/wash. The why of Haswell vs. Ivy Bridge is technologies in Haswell that Ivy lacks (futureproofing) as opposed to tall overclocking.

Got 4.4GHz at 1.2V stable with 100 passes of IBT so far for the first 4770K (L307B239 batch)
Watching Caddyshack while putting the 4770K through its paces, and it passed at 4.4GHz right when Cindy Morgan's cans showed up on screen.

Hopefully, I'll reach 4.8GHz stable right when Rodney Dangerfield yells "Hey everyone, we're getting laid!" :D

Thank you.
This pretty much answered my question if I planned to get this chip.
And I can say nope.
Sticking with my chip.

is anyone overclocking these on decent motherboards?
Define decent. The Z87-GD65 I'm using isn't in the Ferrari price range, but neither is it a Kia :p
Ended up topping out at 4.55GHz w/ 1.24V. I could boot all day into Windows at 4.7GHz w/ 1.275V, but couldn't get it 100-pass IBT stable (even tried 1.3V) :|
Will see how the second 4770K pans out.

So tempted to go for an Ivy Bridge. Assuming I can get around a 4.5-4.6gHz overclock it would be faster I'm assuming to a 4.2gHz AssWell, potentially with the same heat output!

Define decent. The Z87-GD65 I'm using isn't in the Ferrari price range, but neither is it a Kia :p
Ended up topping out at 4.55GHz w/ 1.24V. I could boot all day into Windows at 4.7GHz w/ 1.275V, but couldn't get it 100-pass IBT stable (even tried 1.3V) :|
Will see how the second 4770K pans out.

I purchased the same combo, out of curiosity what cooling were you using and what were your temps at 4.55GHz 1.24v

So tempted to go for an Ivy Bridge. Assuming I can get around a 4.5-4.6gHz overclock it would be faster I'm assuming to a 4.2gHz AssWell, potentially with the same heat output!

Faster, not faster, does it really matter? Once you have a good overclock on either IB or Haswell, most of the time the CPU is not going to be an issue. Personally, the better buy is IB right now, IMHO.

Faster, not faster, does it really matter? Once you have a good overclock on either IB or Haswell, most of the time the CPU is not going to be an issue. Personally, the better buy is IB right now, IMHO.

Actually, I don't see that due to lack of price insanity - but then, I have two MicroCenters nearby. Considering the resultant price difference is less than $100 (CPU + motherboard), how is Ivy Bridge necessarily a better buy with Haswell more efficient in terms of IPS? The price of everything else is entirely unchanged - so Ivy is a better buy how?

Actually, I don't see that due to lack of price insanity - but then, I have two MicroCenters nearby. Considering the resultant price difference is less than $100 (CPU + motherboard), how is Ivy Bridge necessarily a better buy with Haswell more efficient in terms of IPS? The price of everything else is entirely unchanged - so Ivy is a better buy how?

MC bundle deals are cheaper on a 3570k than the 4770k, what else does there need to be? I build my rigs to game, browse forums etc. I can do that just as well on my 3570k as I would on a Haswell, but for less money.

Will you share your opinion on the transition from the q9450 to haswell? I'm sitting here with a q9450 @ 3.5 as well.

You wont regret going to SB, IB, HW from the 9450. I had 3 intel SSD G1's in raid 0. I have transitioned away from that to a single samsung 840. I cant be certain if everything is snappier due to the change in SSD or if it was the CPU. Either way, I dont care. This new rig is amazing and does everything I need it to do. To me, I could not even consider going anything but HW due to the socket change and the new goodies on the mainboard that are now integrated.

I can say that photoshop is a beast now. Oh, and in starcraft 2 I win on the load times when playing 4. Not sure that matters, I still have to wait for the slowest turd in the match to load. :rolleyes:

MC bundle deals are cheaper on a 3570k than the 4770k, what else does there need to be? I build my rigs to game, browse forums etc. I can do that just as well on my 3570k as I would on a Haswell, but for less money.

Looks like MC has raised the price on IB. IMO the few extra dollars are worth it now until they drop the price again. The 4670k is only $10 than the 3570k and the 4770k is $30 more than the 3770k as of right now.

I felt the 3770k at $230 was the best deal of the bunch and almost regret not pulling the trigger, but I think there will be some good deals later this year on IB. I have my fingers crossed for something similar to the $200 2600k deal MC had last year :D

Looks like MC has raised the price on IB. IMO the few extra dollars are worth it now until they drop the price again. The 4670k is only $10 than the 3570k and the 4770k is $30 more than the 3770k as of right now.

I felt the 3770k at $230 was the best deal of the bunch and almost regret not pulling the trigger, but I think there will be some good deals later this year on IB. I have my fingers crossed for something similar to the $200 2600k deal MC had last year :D

The cheapest bundle from MC on the 4770k is $339.98, the cheapest bundle on the 3570k is $234.98. Buying the bundle is the way to save.

http://microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

The cheapest bundle from MC on the 4770k is $339.98, the cheapest bundle on the 3570k is $234.98. Buying the bundle is the way to save.

http://microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

I'm aware of that, but it's not exactly fair to compare the bundle price of a 4770k to a 3570k. The price difference between the cheapest 4670k bundle and 3570k bundle is only $25. IMO, worth it to spend the extra $25 for the latest and greatest to help fight the itch to upgrade later down the line.

I'm aware of that, but it's not exactly fair to compare the bundle price of a 4770k to a 3570k. The price difference between the cheapest 4670k bundle and 3570k bundle is only $25. IMO, worth it to spend the extra $25 for the latest and greatest to help fight the itch to upgrade later down the line.

Correct, but this thread is about the 4770k, which is more money.

Correct, but this thread is about the 4770k, which is more money.

Get real man. If 20$ is the difference between buying a system and not buying a system you should stay home. Give me a friggin' break.

If I were assembling a new PC I would get a Haswell. Easily. I upgraded a 2600k to a 3700k, and the 3700k at 4.6GHz is actually faster than the 2600k was at 5GHz from all of the synthetic benchmarks I have run. Even if, say, you get a 3770k to 4.6GHz, a 4.3-4.4GHz Haswell will exceed the performance still.

With that being the case, Haswell is a better choice for a NEW SYSTEM. 20-25$ savings? Give me a break man. Who cares. That's like a tank of gas. The z87 platform alone makes the Haswell worth it, I personally am not a fan of the fact that z77 has SATA2 and only 2 SATA3 ports - Haswell may not be worth it for someone wanting to do a yearly upgrade, but for someone coming from an OLD SYSTEM or building a new one, Haswell is the clear choice. IMHO. Who the hell cares about friggin' 25$.

I say this as a 3770k user. In that situation there is no way I would get a 3770k. The IPC difference between the two processors will eliminate any performance difference of a 200-300mhz lower overclock. And by the way, I should add, Ivy Bridge gets really hot as well too - my 3770k gets hot at even 4.6GHz @ 1.25V. I get mid 80s in Prime95 with an H100 cooler. If you think you're going to be breezing at 55C with a 4.6-4.8Ghz overclock on a 3770k, I got news for you buddy, LOL. Not going to happen. Heck, I can't even realistically do higher than 4.6GHz on my 3770k with an H100, because I become voltage limited beyond that. 1.35V on the IVB is not pretty in terms of temperatures. I just crack up because ever since Haswell' release people have been talking up the 3770k like it's the best overclocker in the world and runs completely cool - it's really not that simple. It gets hot as well, and you become temperature limited just like Haswell with high overclocks.

Last edited:
What xoleras said +1.

I remember all the BS when IVY came out. Hot this and shit that. Haswell is the same as IVY in that regard. The bottom line is SB spoiled everyone with the soldered vs TIM. Those with delidded IVY's are posting some good temps. I likely will be going this route once more info is available.

I am also waiting for more data to see how well my chip stacks up with the rest. Am I on par? Slightly above or lower? More retail samples need to be taken.

Get real man. If 20$ is the difference between buying a system and not buying a system you should stay home. Give me a friggin' break.

If I were assembling a new PC I would get a Haswell. Easily. I upgraded a 2600k to a 3700k, and the 3700k at 4.6GHz is actually faster than the 2600k was at 5GHz from all of the synthetic benchmarks I have run. Even if, say, you get a 3770k to 4.6GHz, a 4.3-4.4GHz Haswell will exceed the performance still.

With that being the case, Haswell is a better choice for a NEW SYSTEM. 20-25$ savings? Give me a break man. Who cares. That's like a tank of gas. The z87 platform alone makes the Haswell worth it, I personally am not a fan of the fact that z77 has SATA2 and only 2 SATA3 ports - Haswell may not be worth it for someone wanting to do a yearly upgrade, but for someone coming from an OLD SYSTEM or building a new one, Haswell is the clear choice. IMHO. Who the hell cares about friggin' 25$.

I say this as a 3770k user. In that situation there is no way I would get a 3770k. The IPC difference between the two processors will eliminate any performance difference of a 200-300mhz lower overclock. And by the way, I should add, Ivy Bridge gets really hot as well too - my 3770k gets hot at even 4.6GHz @ 1.25V. I get mid 80s in Prime95 with an H100 cooler. If you think you're going to be breezing at 55C with a 4.6-4.8Ghz overclock on a 3770k, I got news for you buddy, LOL. Not going to happen. Heck, I can't even realistically do higher than 4.6GHz on my 3770k with an H100, because I become voltage limited beyond that. 1.35V on the IVB is not pretty in terms of temperatures. I just crack up because ever since Haswell' release people have been talking up the 3770k like it's the best overclocker in the world and runs completely cool - it's really not that simple. It gets hot as well, and you become temperature limited just like Haswell with high overclocks.

A tank of gas is more like 60-80$ not 25$. Just saying...

Not personally upgrading/sidegrading from 3770K.

The only reason to go Haswell ( if you are coming from an older platform ), is to get the new Motherboard features. Haswell performance is penis, but so is software ( most of it anyways ).

Back